From AMazon UK about $56 shipped. 

[asin]B008YKRRJU[/asin]
Did you indulge?

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 26, 2014, 06:15:12 AM
Yep.

Ahh, there are so many different versions of the Ring Cycle, Baklavaboy! And, sooooo muuuuuch to explore!!!!!    >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on March 26, 2014, 07:04:55 AM
Ahh, there are so many different versions of the Ring Cycle, Baklavaboy! And, sooooo muuuuuch to explore!!!!!    >:D

I have the Barenboim on Blu Ray, and the Boulez on DVD. I've downloaded about 5 others, but haven't played any of them, except parts of the Goode. I have Furtwangler's as part of the big box.  For the most part, though, I find it heavy and joyless, plus Wagner's German just doesn't sound that attractive a lot of the time.  But, I'll give it another shot.... ::)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 26, 2014, 07:50:05 AM
   I have the Barenboim on Blu Ray, and the Boulez on DVD. I've downloaded about 5 others, but haven't played any of them, except parts of the Goode. I have Furtwangler's as part of the big box.  For the most part, though, I find it heavy and joyless, plus Wagner's German just doesn't sound that attractive a lot of the time.  But, I'll give it another shot.... ::)
There's the problem! You don't have the right ones ...  ;)

I got to like it through Bohm, but Levine is my current favorite. Janowski is good. I'd avoid the "historic" ones. Sound. Derryck Cooke's lectures on 2 discs on the music are very good.

kishnevi

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 26, 2014, 07:50:05 AM
I have Furtwangler's as part of the big box. 

Which Furtwangler is in the big box?  (I know I've read the details before,  but that was long enough ago for me to forget even where I read the details, much less what the details were.)

I havd the RAI cycle and had the Siegfried of the La Scala cycle. 
RAI cycle--sound is slightly dated,  musicians sometimes off, but not enough to bother me.  (Perhaps if I was a Wagnermaniac,  this would bother me more.)
La Scala Siegfried:  perhaps it was simply the mastering of the version I had, but the sound was awful. Worst sound I've ever heard,  including some recordings made in the late 1920s.  Mikes seemed to be in the middle of the horns, with the result that the singers could not be heard unless I put my ears next to the speakers (I am speaking literally here), and even then I could not always be sure I was hearing their voices.  I'm not sure if I gave it away eventually or if it's still sitting in some pile of CDs.  It would be at the bottom of the pile, I am sure.....

That RAI cycle was the first Ring I heard all the way through;  and Furtwangler's EMI recording of Tristan was likewise the first recording of that opera I heard all the way through (as opposed to watching TV broadcasts during which I fell asleep by the end of the first act)--it was Furtwangler who showed me the real beauties of Wagner's music making.

Confession time: in Mount Not Yet Listened To, and indeed forming a notable peak,  are three complete Ring cycles (Solti, Karajan, and  a historical hotchpotch of Furtwangler and Keilberth) plus Zagrosek's Gotterdammerung on Naxos,  mostly because I have never been able to make the time to listen to them.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 26, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
Which Furtwangler is in the big box?  (I know I've read the details before,  but that was long enough ago for me to forget even where I read the details, much less what the details were.)

I havd the RAI cycle and had the Siegfried of the La Scala cycle. 
RAI cycle--sound is slightly dated,  musicians sometimes off, but not enough to bother me.  (Perhaps if I was a Wagnermaniac,  this would bother me more.)
La Scala Siegfried:  perhaps it was simply the mastering of the version I had, but the sound was awful. Worst sound I've ever heard,  including some recordings made in the late 1920s.  Mikes seemed to be in the middle of the horns, with the result that the singers could not be heard unless I put my ears next to the speakers (I am speaking literally here), and even then I could not always be sure I was hearing their voices.  I'm not sure if I gave it away eventually or if it's still sitting in some pile of CDs.  It would be at the bottom of the pile, I am sure.....

That RAI cycle was the first Ring I heard all the way through;  and Furtwangler's EMI recording of Tristan was likewise the first recording of that opera I heard all the way through (as opposed to watching TV broadcasts during which I fell asleep by the end of the first act)--it was Furtwangler who showed me the real beauties of Wagner's music making.

Confession time: in Mount Not Yet Listened To, and indeed forming a notable peak,  are three complete Ring cycles (Solti, Karajan, and  a historical hotchpotch of Furtwangler and Keilberth) plus Zagrosek's Gotterdammerung on Naxos,  mostly because I have never been able to make the time to listen to them.

The big box has the RAI.  I put it on once and was surprised at how good the sound was---for something out of that box.  Tons of it just sounds really crappy, even a lot of the 50s stuff is distractingly rough. 
   I think the biggest problem with the Ring (for me) is it's just too big.  Generally after you play something a time or two it grows on you and you learn better how to appreciate it.  But when that something is 14 hours long, putting it on seems like a major commitment. 

By the way, the Barenboim Blu-Rays sound awesome. I actually like that--as long as I don't look at it.  The Sets and acting are, IMO, really ridiculous.  And it probably belongs in this thread because as a 4 Blu-Ray disc set containing the entire Ring at about $55, it's much cheaper than any other version you can buy.
It's all good...

kishnevi

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 26, 2014, 06:38:13 PM

I think the biggest problem with the Ring (for me) is it's just too big.  Generally after you play something a time or two it grows on you and you learn better how to appreciate it.  But when that something is 14 hours long, putting it on seems like a major commitment. 
Exactly my problem too.  Even one "night" of the Ring at a time is usually more than I can handle.  On a work day,  I usually have time to listen to no more than three CDs total.  On a day off, I usually end up with listening to even less because of all the errands, etc.  When I do next tackle the Ring, it will probably be one act at a time.

By the way, the Barenboim Blu-Rays sound awesome. I actually like that--as long as I don't look at it.  The Sets and acting are, IMO, really ridiculous.  And it probably belongs in this thread because as a 4 Blu-Ray disc set containing the entire Ring at about $55, it's much cheaper than any other version you can buy.

not for me,  since I would first need to buy the Blu ray player.

Moonfish

A Claudio Arrau Liszt set (5 cd) is available in the UK for about 12 GBP.  I have no idea what is on it as the listing is in a different language (Korean?). Recording dates from 1969-1982.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Works-Arrau-Liszt/dp/B00HQS2LR4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JVQKWSDDFH67EBPPS16

Btw - interesting cover.... I cannot remember the last time I saw a kitty on the cover of a set!  (It looks like it has an arrow in its head).
It is a new trend for Decca. No more violin or piano babes! It is all about pets!!!
*meeeoowwww*

[asin] B00HQS2LR4[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Octave

I am all for the kittycat covers, sucker that I am.
Moonfish, here is the one I have, which is £1 more expensive and has 6 discs compared to Kitty Edition's five.   I don't have time just now to compare contents.

[asin]B004OUFSU4[/asin]
Liszt Plays Arrau (Decca/Eloquence, avec AMSI, 6cd)

I am not sure about the concertos, but the solo stuff seems rockin good to me.  This set includes a very famous set of his "12 Etudes d'exécution transcendante" which I see referenced a lot.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on March 28, 2014, 01:36:22 AM
I am all for the kittycat covers, sucker that I am.
Moonfish, here is the one I have, which is £1 more expensive and has 6 discs compared to Kitty Edition's five.   I don't have time just now to compare contents.

[asin]B004OUFSU4[/asin]
Liszt Plays Arrau (Decca/Eloquence, avec AMSI, 6cd)

I am not sure about the concertos, but the solo stuff seems rockin good to me.  This set includes a very famous set of his "12 Etudes d'exécution transcendante" which I see referenced a lot.
I have this one, which I enjoy a lot:
[asin]B005OSUKZ8[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Drosera

Quote from: Moonfish on March 28, 2014, 01:19:40 AM
A Claudio Arrau Liszt set (5 cd) is available in the UK for about 12 GBP.  I have no idea what is on it as the listing is in a different language (Korean?). Recording dates from 1969-1982.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Works-Arrau-Liszt/dp/B00HQS2LR4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_h__10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JVQKWSDDFH67EBPPS16

It would be nice if this would be the first of several box sets so that we'd have a re-release of all his Universal recordings. I'd love to see a Schumann box for a decent price. His Liszt is excellent, by the way.

Octave

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 28, 2014, 02:32:39 AM
I have this one, which I enjoy a lot:

I want that collection...I've been hoping for comprehensive collected editions of both Brendel and Arrau.  There's a lot of both men's playing that I have not heard, or love but don't own.

I notice that the Claudio Abbado SYMPHONY EDITION has dropped in price by several dollars even just since I bought it----now ~$63 before shipping at Importcds.  With shipping in the USA, this comes to ~$1.66/disc, not bad.

I know a number of you have had some issues with Importcds, esp. with their service.  (I've been lucky, but still I can relate....they have not been responsive when I have had small problems or questions.)  I had to wait for this one to backorder, but it only took about two extra weeks.

At a glance, you get all the music that will soon be released in the series of Abbado 'composer' boxes from DG/Universal, except ~5 discs of Mozart concertos not included in this big box.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mookalafalas

A friend just asked me for classical recommendations.
  I found that at importCD both the Giant Perahia box and the Vivarte are $58.  We have ripped on ImportCD, but I think the consensus is they are only un-dependable on items that are listed as not in stock (but will ship in X days). If it's in stock, they are fine.  Neither of these boxes are new, and have been mentioned before, but both are insane bargains. I would enthusiastically recommend either at 3, even 4 times these prices.   
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 30, 2014, 05:19:44 PM
A friend just asked me for classical recommendations.
  I found that at importCD both the Giant Perahia box and the Vivarte are $58.  We have ripped on ImportCD, but I think the consensus is they are only un-dependable on items that are listed as not in stock (but will ship in X days). If it's in stock, they are fine.  Neither of these boxes are new, and have been mentioned before, but both are insane bargains. I would enthusiastically recommend either at 3, even 4 times these prices.
Indeed. Can you get those prices via Amazon so you have protection?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 30, 2014, 05:25:41 PM
Indeed. Can you get those prices via Amazon so you have protection?
I think Amazon is supposed to match any price, so it might be possible.  "protection" seems like a strong word, though.  Have they actually ripped anyone off? I bought the Perahia box for my Brother and his wife through importCD a while ago and it went very smoothly (as have my orders of "in stock" items from them), and now I just ordered one for a friend's daughter.  For $58.65 and $5 shipping, short of them stealing my identity, not much can go wrong.  It is a "surprise" gift, so if it is late, no one will know but me :)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 30, 2014, 06:02:55 PM
I think Amazon is supposed to match any price, so it might be possible.  "protection" seems like a strong word, though.  Have they actually ripped anyone off? I bought the Perahia box for my Brother and his wife through importCD a while ago and it went very smoothly (as have my orders of "in stock" items from them), and now I just ordered one for a friend's daughter.  For $58.65 and $5 shipping, short of them stealing my identity, not much can go wrong.  It is a "surprise" gift, so if it is late, no one will know but me :)
Protection is too strong a word but a lot of us have had hassles.

They got any good boxes I don't own going cheap?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 30, 2014, 06:25:27 PM
They got any good boxes I don't own going cheap?

Ah, that's always the question.  They are selling some of those magnificent little 10cd HM boxes for around $16. Are you missing any?
  I'm listening to the Schubert from the Abbado box Octave mentions a couple of posts above.  Really fresh and delightful Italian-ate presentations, "just right" between the typical German "big" sound and the slightly over-souped Bruno Weill type "hip" approach, IMO. But probably you are tired of collecting new cycles...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 30, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
  Ah, that's always the question.  They are selling some of those magnificent little 10cd HM boxes for around $16. Are you missing any?
  I'm listening to the Schubert from the Abbado box Octave mentions a couple of posts above.  Really fresh and delightful Italian-ate presentations, "just right" between the typical German "big" sound and the slightly over-souped Bruno Weill type "hip" approach, IMO. But probably you are tired of collecting new cycles...

Yes, those HM boxes have been a continuous temptation the last few months. One thing that bothers me about them is that there is a certain overlap between them, which really was unnecessary.  Especially considering us maniacs.....
And you didn't ask me - but I am a bit saturated on cycles and is moving towards different repertoires and music I just have not heard before ( I cannot believe I wrote that and just bought another copy of the "Four Seasons" this afternoon  >:D It was Jansen's fault).
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on March 30, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
Yes, i was missing the Telemann. A couple others I don't want but snarfed that one.