The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: DavidW on April 02, 2014, 11:44:01 AM
The Zinman Mahler cycle is only $30 on arkiv.  It includes the Charpenter edition of the 10th symphony and the Blumide movement in the 1st symphony.  At that price it is worth it for me at least.

Thanks, David. I think I'll get that.

kishnevi

The Zinman Mahler cycle is only $30 on arkiv.  It includes the Charpenter edition of the 10th symphony and the Blumide movement in the 1st symphony.  At that price it is worth it for me at least.

I won't say you made the wrong decision--I particularly like the Third and Fourth in that cycle, and the Ninth is perhaps my favorite Ninth of all--but be prepared for the fact that the Tenth is the most obvious reason not to get Zinman's cycle.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jay F on April 02, 2014, 04:46:24 PM
Thanks, David. I think I'll get that.

It may be worth to consider the recent Zinman collection (more bang for the buck so to say) which includes a Mahler cycle..
60 GBP in the UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Symphonies-Zurich-1995-2014-Limited/dp/B00I0IL3FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396488556&sr=8-1&keywords=zinman

[asin] B00I0IL3FA[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

DavidW

I don't think I like Zinman quite that much! ;D  Maybe Jay will bite.  Zinman's Schumann is pretty swell as I recall.  What I find attractive about the Zinman Mahler cycle is that it had been previously priced astronomically high, and now it's a super bargain.  I don't expect it to hold it's own against the other cycles in my collection, but now I can finally hear it (out of curiosity).

Moonfish

The Lumieres set [Music of the Enlightenment] (30 cd) is still on sale in the amazon.uk MP for GBP 14.99 + S&H by Harmonia Mundi.
I picked up two sets for my kids to allow them to begin to explore classical music on their own. Figured that it is a good starting point (and accompanied by a great booklet).  Indoctrination begins!!!!    >:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Musique-Lumi%C3%A8res-Music-Enlightenment/dp/B005BZBY1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396556920&sr=8-1&keywords=lumieres

[asin] B005BZBY1I[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on April 03, 2014, 12:32:36 PM
The Lumieres set [Music of the Enlightenment] (30 cd) is still on sale in the amazon.uk MP for GBP 14.99 + S&H by Harmonia Mundi.
I picked up two sets for my kids to allow them to begin to explore classical music on their own. Figured that it is a good starting point (and accompanied by a great booklet).  Indoctrination begins!!!!    >:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Musique-Lumi%C3%A8res-Music-Enlightenment/dp/B005BZBY1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396556920&sr=8-1&keywords=lumieres

[asin] B005BZBY1I[/asin]

Good choice. That box is pure gold. 
It's all good...

AnthonyAthletic

Cheers for the heads up David, I put a set on order as it's great value at £28 delivered.  I have his 10th and pretty much enjoyed it.  This really is a decent bargain!

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

ammar

Moonfish

Quote from: ammar on April 04, 2014, 06:28:51 PM

http://www.amazon.de/The-Complete-Album-Collection-DVDs/dp/B00BCCEBRI

At 62 euros, the cheapest this has been in quite a while...

Definitely a SDCB!!!  It is a great set (as long as one is a Guitar fan!). I have been enjoying my set for a while, but at this price it is a no-brainer!   :)
Anna Lappé

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Moonfish on April 04, 2014, 06:33:56 PM
Definitely a SDCB!!!  It is a great set (as long as one is a Guitar fan!). I have been enjoying my set for a while, but at this price it is a no-brainer!   :)
At $90 to the US, not bad there either.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Moonfish

Pretty good deal for Marriner's the Argo Years here in the US - $49.99

[asin] B00IERAFUQ[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Bargains in Germany at Amazon.de

The new Abbado box is going for 58 Euros
http://www.amazon.de/Claudio-Abbado--Sony-Album-Collection/dp/B00J1XNMDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396735099&sr=8-1&keywords=abbado+rca

[asin] B00J1XNMDO[/asin]

The upcoming Ross Scarlatti box is going for 53 Euros
Definitely a LOT cheaper than the previous compilation!
http://www.amazon.de/S%C3%A4mtliche-Sonaten-Ga-Scott-Ross/dp/B00IUPNBW6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FPGPJFR6DMK073NVS80

[asin] B00IUPNBW6[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on April 05, 2014, 02:09:00 PM
The upcoming Ross Scarlatti box is going for 53 Euros
Definitely a LOT cheaper than the previous compilation!
http://www.amazon.de/S%C3%A4mtliche-Sonaten-Ga-Scott-Ross/dp/B00IUPNBW6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FPGPJFR6DMK073NVS80

[asin] B00IUPNBW6[/asin]

Fortunately I paid almost the same ("introductory price") when the previous incarnation came out. It never, ever reached that price level again...... ::)

So, harpsichord enthusiasts shouldn't hesitate IMO! :o :)

Oh, and please don't forget to take it nice slow and easy with this set. Too much of a dose of Ross' "fast and furious" Scarlatti at once, can be hard to digest for the less experienced. :)

Q

PS What bothers me is the fact that Ross' recordings on the tiny French label STIL refuse to resurface... :(

Moonfish

Giustini
A SDCB - Less than $3 on the Amazon MP

[asin] B003AO1KZ2[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on April 06, 2014, 12:21:27 AM
Giustini
A SDCB - Less than $3 on the Amazon MP

[asin] B003AO1KZ2[/asin]

Superb choice! An amazing set IMO. :)

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on April 06, 2014, 12:25:22 AM
Superb choice! An amazing set IMO. :)
Q
Well, Coen came with your endorsement so it was a straightforward choice combined with samples (and the price). Thanks for sharing your harpsichord/pianoforte experiences!   :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

bigshot

I ordered the EMI Eminance box. Interested in hearing more Mackerras.

Ken B

Baklavaboy

Your opinion is sought. [asin]B00A723R4C[/asin]