The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Moonfish on June 16, 2014, 02:13:03 AM
I dream about more space....     ::)
At least dreaming won't cost you anything much (unless you do it while driving ... or some such)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on June 16, 2014, 02:13:03 AM
I dream about more space....     ::)
Sometimes I do, but mostly I am happy that lack of space puts a lid on my purchasing of discs I will never manage to listen to. It makes me do some prioritizing.

Brian

Are you saying the Vivarte box comes with a physical booklet that includes all the original notes from the original releases??

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2014, 04:33:25 AM
Are you saying the Vivarte box comes with a physical booklet that includes all the original notes from the original releases??
Don't know if they are original, not having bought the originals. But a booklet with notes.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on June 16, 2014, 06:58:48 AM
Don't know if they are original, not having bought the originals. But a booklet with notes.
Awesome. This morning my boss told me I got a four-figure pay raise...  8) 8)

springrite

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2014, 07:10:25 AM
Awesome. This morning my boss told me I got a four-figure pay raise...  8) 8)

Per month?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brian

kishnevi

Congrats.  Just make sure all four figures are to the left of the decimal place.  ;D

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 16, 2014, 07:33:07 AM
Congrats.  Just make sure all four figures are to the left of the decimal place.  ;D
And left over once I finish buying all the Super-Duper Cheap Bargains?

listener

Quote from: king ubu on June 16, 2014, 12:13:16 AM
Another deal I just stumbled over, seems almost too good to be true:

Leonard Bernstein - The Symphony Edition - € 53.90 @ amazon.it

I guess I'll have to go for that ... any opinions? Don't think I've read much about it anywhere, but this is most tempting!
listing at [asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

The Bernstein Symphony Edition is one of my favorite Giant Boxes. Here are my previous comments on it.

EigenUser

For bargains, I love this. The MP3 download is $3.99 and the performances seem fine to me, though I'm not acquainted with various performances to judge accurately.
[asin]B002S9USPI[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

king ubu

Quote from: listener on June 16, 2014, 07:43:36 AM
listing at [asin]B003Z9Q4WG[/asin]
I saw that, thanks!

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2014, 07:51:36 AM
The Bernstein Symphony Edition is one of my favorite Giant Boxes. Here are my previous comments on it.
Thanks again!

I couldn't hold back and already ordered it a few hours after I'd spotted the price (purely by accident, really - I was following the link to the Cantus Cölln edition someone posted in another thread and the Lenny popped up in the associated hit below).

As for the Vivarte booklet, yes, I assume it has the original notes, they usually add a date at the end ... it's more than 240 pages!

Same for the Sony Masterworks booklet - original notes included, but the booklet didn't get that fat since there's many less discs included and several of them are double disc sets.

Here's one more, courtesy of amazon.it:

Living Stereo Collection - € 54.94

Very tempting at this price, for the Munch, Reiner, Monteux discs ... hmm ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Ken B

Quote from: king ubu on June 16, 2014, 10:12:34 AM
I saw that, thanks!
Thanks again!

I couldn't hold back and already ordered it a few hours after I'd spotted the price (purely by accident, really - I was following the link to the Cantus Cölln edition someone posted in another thread and the Lenny popped up in the associated hits below).

As for the Vivarte booklet, yes, I assume it has the original notes, they usually add a date at the end ... it's more than 240 pages!

Same for the Sony Masterworks booklet - original notes included, but the booklet didn't get that fat since there's many less discs included and several of them are double disc sets.

Here's one more, courtesy of amazon.it:

Living Stereo Collection - € 54.94

Very tempting at this price, for the Munch, Reiner, Monteux discs ... hmm ...
Do not hesitate Ubu, lest it disappear!

Great box

king ubu

Damn, the Wand and Lenny Sony boxes and the two Pires boxes all within a few days ... and now Living Stereo, too?

Here's one I already have - and love very much:

The All-Baroque Box

current price: € 62
link: http://www.amazon.it/The-All-Baroque-Various-Artists/dp/B008BP1LS6/
details: http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/gpp/index/4790441-baroque-box

Definitely amongst my very favourite jumbo boxes - lots of amazing music in there, but I guess more seasoned collectors will already have plenty of it ... for me, it was truly a box of miracles! (And I paid at least twice as much - and never even remotely regretted that.)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Ken B

Quote from: king ubu on June 16, 2014, 11:08:13 AM
Damn, the Wand and Lenny Sony boxes and the two Pires boxes all within a few days ... and now Living Stereo, too?

Here's one I already have - and love very much:

The All-Baroque Box

current price: € 62
link: http://www.amazon.it/The-All-Baroque-Various-Artists/dp/B008BP1LS6/
details: http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/gpp/index/4790441-baroque-box

Definitely amongst my very favourite jumbo boxes - lots of amazing music in there, but I guess more seasoned collectors will already have plenty of it ... for me, it was truly a box of miracles! (And I paid at least twice as much - and never even remotely regretted that.)

Moonfish and I had to tag-team browbeat Baklavaboy into buying that! It's fabulous.

Alas the shipping from Italy to the USA is very expensive or I'd have snarfed the Bernstein. The DG 100 Symphonies is cheap in Europe too.

king ubu

I'm a happy camper ... no amazon.ch, so on orders from 20 or 25€ on, I get free shipping from .de, .fr and .it - pretty great, since prices fluctuate wildly (on smaller boxes, amazon.fr often ist best, pre-orders are often different as well, no free shipping, but nonetheless .co.uk sometimes is best there). But yeah, I've suffered from amazon.com's crazy shipping rates for transatlantic orders, too, so I guess I can imagine ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

kishnevi

I am having a nice time reading this thread.  I do not have everything in those boxes, but I have so much that they would need to go to half the current price to make it worthwhile to get them.

Ken B

$18 with Prime from Amazon, cheaper from some MP

[asin]B003S9GOWS[/asin]

$16 from MP, equivalent from some in UK

[asin]B00EC0VWEM[/asin]

I posted the Brahms box earlier.

Jo498

Excluding big boxes which are probably the best bargains nowadays I want to mention some good recordings that can be encountered on rather obscure Labels, often in Bargain bins and with minimal presentation. Some of these have been around for 20 years and for some there are also incarnations on "serious" labels, but to my knowledge the recordings are identical

- Most harpsichord works by Bach (WTC I + II, three sets of suites, inventions, sinfonias, toccatas and also a bunch of little preludes etc.) played by Christine Jaccottet on PILZ, Vienna Classics etc. (they originally were Intercord I believe)
- Haydn's quartets op.64 played by a "Caspar da Salo" Quartett (probably a pseudonym) also on PILZ and others. Very beautiful recordings
-  A bunch of Mozart symphonies with Ernest Bour/SWF Orchestra: straightforward, no nonsense interpretations in decent sound, usually found as "Quadro" 4-disc-set
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal