The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2014, 04:59:12 AM
- Most harpsichord works by Bach (WTC I + II, three sets of suites, inventions, sinfonias, toccatas and also a bunch of little preludes etc.) played by Christine Jaccottet on PILZ, Vienna Classics etc. (they originally were Intercord I believe)
- Haydn's quartets op.64 played by a "Caspar da Salo" Quartett (probably a pseudonym) also on PILZ and others. Very beautiful recordings
-  A bunch of Mozart symphonies with Ernest Bour/SWF Orchestra: straightforward, no nonsense interpretations in decent sound, usually found as "Quadro" 4-disc-set

Another great PILZ recording is Helena Spitkova playing a beautiful Mendelssohn violin concerto, along with the Bruch.

Cheap doesn't mean inferior  :laugh:

Welcome

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2014, 04:59:12 AM
Excluding big boxes which are probably the best bargains nowadays I want to mention some good recordings that can be encountered on rather obscure Labels, often in Bargain bins and with minimal presentation. Some of these have been around for 20 years and for some there are also incarnations on "serious" labels, but to my knowledge the recordings are identical

- Most harpsichord works by Bach (WTC I + II, three sets of suites, inventions, sinfonias, toccatas and also a bunch of little preludes etc.) played by Christine Jaccottet on PILZ, Vienna Classics etc. (they originally were Intercord I believe)
- Haydn's quartets op.64 played by a "Caspar da Salo" Quartett (probably a pseudonym) also on PILZ and others. Very beautiful recordings
-  A bunch of Mozart symphonies with Ernest Bour/SWF Orchestra: straightforward, no nonsense interpretations in decent sound, usually found as "Quadro" 4-disc-set

Welcome to GMG, Jo!  :)

Geo Dude

Perhaps not an uber-uber-uber deal, but at less than $130 shipped from the MP it comes out to under $3 a disc, and has me drooling:

[asin]B00IRQS24A[/asin]

Now they just need to release the classical era sequel.  >:D

king ubu

To be found for as little as 70€ something here ... and I just studied its contents again this morning - not too much overlap with what I've got, but due to the custom n*zis and their friends at the post offce, I'll keep waiting, hoping for the price to go down some more eventually - in light of the currenty prices to be found at amazon.it, I hope this isn't waiting in vain. The box does look great, but those 20€ or so of fees that get added to orders of a value or around 50€ or more they do get disproportionate and they do hurt if you have to pay them all the time, so I am patient. :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on June 23, 2014, 07:04:33 AM
Perhaps not an uber-uber-uber deal, but at less than $130 shipped from the MP it comes out to under $3 a disc, and has me drooling:

[asin]B00IRQS24A[/asin]

Now they just need to release the classical era sequel.  >:D

No lie! The Classic Era sequel, as you say, would be a peach! Even with overlap. I don't see a contents list in that Baroque one, there might even be enough there to stir my wallet. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: king ubu on June 23, 2014, 07:59:03 AM
Look here:
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4786753

Thanks, King. Very interesting. If I were un Barochisti, I would be all over that! Interesting to see the Bach Sohnen listed as Baroque... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: king ubu on June 23, 2014, 07:09:37 AM
To be found for as little as 70€ something here ... and I just studied its contents again this morning - not too much overlap with what I've got, but due to the custom n*zis and their friends at the post offce, I'll keep waiting, hoping for the price to go down some more eventually - in light of the currenty prices to be found at amazon.it, I hope this isn't waiting in vain. The box does look great, but those 20€ or so of fees that get added to orders of a value or around 50€ or more they do get disproportionate and they do hurt if you have to pay them all the time, so I am patient. :)
I got it at half the current price by pre ordering. You never know what will happen to these things. I've bought early and got burned sometimes too. It's a lovely box fwiw ... But you knew that!  >:D

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 23, 2014, 07:38:17 AM
No lie! The Classic Era sequel, as you say, would be a peach! Even with overlap. I don't see a contents list in that Baroque one, there might even be enough there to stir my wallet. :)

8)

A baroque box causing Gurn's wallet to stir?  Truly, 'tis the end of times! ;D

And having just done a quick check I can confirm that the Hogwood Haydn and Mozart symphonies alone would make up a 50 disc box set if they wanted to engage their classical-era material.  If they wanted to be a bit more thorough, Decca could easily head into Brilliant Classics mega-box territory.  Oh, to dream... :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on June 23, 2014, 02:37:10 PM
A baroque box causing Gurn's wallet to stir?  Truly, 'tis the end of times! ;D

And having just done a quick check I can confirm that the Hogwood Haydn and Mozart symphonies alone would make up a 50 disc box set if they wanted to engage their classical-era material.  If they wanted to be a bit more thorough, Decca could easily head into Brilliant Classics mega-box territory.  Oh, to dream... :D

Well, in the event it stayed in my pocket, but still... :)

There are a whole lot of Mozart disks on L'Oiseau Lyre, there are easily 50. I think. Wait, let me go count... :D  Anyway, a Complete Mozart box from them would be a big winner. They have operas too, you know. Even though I have most of it already, I would buy it as a box and sell off my many singles, as long as I kept the liner notes.  :o

8)

Moonfish

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 23, 2014, 04:09:08 PM
Well, in the event it stayed in my pocket, but still... :)

There are a whole lot of Mozart disks on L'Oiseau Lyre, there are easily 50. I think. Wait, let me go count... :D  Anyway, a Complete Mozart box from them would be a big winner. They have operas too, you know. Even though I have most of it already, I would buy it as a box and sell off my many singles, as long as I kept the liner notes.  :o

8)

They are supposed to issue a "Classical" as well as an "Early Music/Renaissance" box as sequels to the "Baroque" box, but there was no time table in the announcement I read.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on June 23, 2014, 08:30:10 AM
I got it at half the current price by pre ordering. You never know what will happen to these things. I've bought early and got burned sometimes too. It's a lovely box fwiw ... But you knew that!  >:D

Yes, I am so glad I pre-ordered that one (at 57 GBP), but I have noticed that the price has fluctuated quite a bit over the last month!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Moonfish on June 23, 2014, 04:19:44 PM
They are supposed to issue a "Classical" as well as an "Early Music/Renaissance" box as sequels to the "Baroque" box, but there was no time table in the announcement I read.

Ah, good news. It will be interesting to see what they choose. Now that they've stuck JC & CPE Bach in the Baroque, who's left other than Haydn and Mozart? I mean, there are plenty left, of course, but not recorded on L'Oiseau Lyre! :)

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 23, 2014, 04:22:15 PM
Ah, good news. It will be interesting to see what they choose. Now that they've stuck JC & CPE Bach in the Baroque, who's left other than Haydn and Mozart? I mean, there are plenty left, of course, but not recorded on L'Oiseau Lyre! :)

8)

Even if they just dumped the symphonies in they'd have a huge box, without ignoring Mozart's choral works and other stuff they recorded. :P  I'm sure they can pull together a big box from Haydn and Mozart, with a bit of Beethoven for flavor.

kishnevi

Just ordered it from AmazonItaly.  Total in USD $114 including shipping and no VAT.

king ubu

Quote from: Geo Dude on June 23, 2014, 07:35:19 PM
Even if they just dumped the symphonies in they'd have a huge box, without ignoring Mozart's choral works and other stuff they recorded. :P  I'm sure they can pull together a big box from Haydn and Mozart, with a bit of Beethoven for flavor.

Guess it would, but just as much it would be a pity to have the Mozart without the great booklet! Does the Haydn (or Hogwood's Vivaldi box) come with similarly exhaustive comment?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Ken B

Quote from: king ubu on June 23, 2014, 10:42:24 PM
Guess it would, but just as much it would be a pity to have the Mozart without the great booklet! Does the Haydn (or Hogwood's Vivaldi box) come with similarly exhaustive comment?
No, just track listings and a short essay.
But these are wonderful boxes especially Hoggy Haydn.

king ubu

Quote from: Ken B on June 24, 2014, 08:03:49 AM
No, just track listings and a short essay.
But these are wonderful boxes especially Hoggy Haydn.
I see ... I think I've got about enough Haydn and Vivaldi for the time being, but one never knows, does one!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ammar

Just received a 'Soldes' e-mail from Abeille Musique. Whilst not up to the halcyon please-relieve-us-of-all-our-Brilliant-Brahms-and-Haydn-boxes-for-a-pittance sales of yore  ;) I did lighten my wallet by 200 euros by picking up :

for 122 euros,

for 28 euros,

for 23 euros and

for 9 euros (not to mention a punitive 20 euros to ship to the UK  :'()

http://www.abeillemusique.com/promo/soldes.php

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ammar on June 24, 2014, 05:05:19 PM
for 28 euros,

A wonderful set. I collected these one by one, and enjoyed all of them. I hope you do too.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!