The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2014, 01:31:41 AM
After some contemplation, and meditation on the nature of CDCDCD, I decided to bide my time as well... :D

This is good, we will all weep together when we miss the bargain.   :laugh:
I put the box in my Amazon UK cart and moved it to 'saved', like, five times; finally totally removed it so it would be out of my sight.

This could become like a CDCDCD delayed-gratification arms race.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

AND I still NEED the Frans Brüggen Edition, AND the Gustav Leonhardt Edition on Teldec...... :o ??? ???

Q :D

marvinbrown

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 04, 2014, 10:02:23 PM
The Abeille sale has a few sets at a good price:
1. Stanislaw Skrowaczewski 28 disc set (including all Bruckner) for EUR 33 (or 27 no VAT)
2. Wagner Ring Keilberth for EUR 70 (or 59 no VAT)
3. Hungerford Beethoven Legacy EUR 11/9.5

Oh my God!! I don't believe it! That's the Keilberth 1955 on Testament! I paid 100 pounds for mine!

What can I say but: GRAB IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT!!!!!!

marvin

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on July 06, 2014, 01:53:43 AM
This is good, we will all weep together when we miss the bargain.   :laugh:
I put the box in my Amazon UK cart and moved it to 'saved', like, five times; finally totally removed it so it would be out of my sight.

This could become like a CDCDCD delayed-gratification arms race.
As a further motivation to wait,  remember that a large clump of those recordings have appeared in the smaller Vivarte/Sony boxes,  so there will be a number of duplications.  Of course,  an even larger clump has not...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 06, 2014, 01:14:42 AM
  Oh, so completely owned by Sony.  Better yet (as far as possible cheapness goes)--Sony's Perahia and Giulini boxes, as well as the Vivarte, are stupid cheap.  I'm going to try to stay patient on this one and see what happens 8)
The Ma box too. I think they over produced and so there are inventories out there.
Anyone who does not have Perahia, you,ll never find a better deal.

Wakefield

Quote from: Baklavaboy on July 06, 2014, 01:14:42 AM
  Oh, so completely owned by Sony.  Better yet (as far as possible cheapness goes)--Sony's Perahia and Giulini boxes, as well as the Vivarte, are stupid cheap.  I'm going to try to stay patient on this one and see what happens 8)

Quote from: Que on July 06, 2014, 01:31:41 AM
After some contemplation, and meditation on the nature of CDCDCD, I decided to bide my time as well... :D

Q

You are disappointing me, guys. You're losing the point: there are very few important things in life and this SEON collection is one of them.  :D These are the true modern origins of HIP interpretation, the opportunity to listen to Leonhardt carefully training a complete new generation of HIP performers and interplaying with them. I own around 30 of those discs, but I won't wait a minute to get this box.   :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Moonfish

Quote from: Gordo on July 06, 2014, 08:30:15 AM
You are disappointing me, guys. You're losing the point: there are very few important things in life and this SEON collection is one of them.  :D These are the true modern origins of HIP interpretation, the opportunity to listen to Leonhardt carefully training a complete new generation of HIP performers and interplaying with them. I own around 30 of those discs, but I won't wait a minute to get this box.   :)

Go, Gordo!!!!         :) :) :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gordo on July 06, 2014, 08:30:15 AM

And of course even at "high" prices, it's still under $2 a disc, which no reasonable person can object to.   Still, I have so many unlistened-to discs that I desperately need reasons to not buy stuff.  I bought the Perahia for $150, which was a steal, but now when it can be had for half that or less, it still rankles a bit.  If Sony would rather virtually give timeless art away than sell it, I will wait and give them the chance.  In the meantime, I have lots of Seon stuff to get by on...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Moonfish on July 04, 2014, 02:22:04 AM
This looks like a great deal and a SDCB as it is only $54 at Amazon.
A collection of Strauss' operas on DVD from Arthaus. Any thoughts on this set?

[asin] B00HDE45HA[/asin]

http://arthaus-musik.com/dvd/sondereditionen/media/details/the_richard_strauss_collection.html

Brief video clip at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdmMaTMC8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdmMaTMC8A

Salome (Teatro alla Scala, Milan, 2007)
Iris Vermillion, Nadja Michael, Falk Struckmann, Peter Bronder / Daniel Harding / Luc Bondy

Elektra (Wiener Staatsoper, 1989)
Cheryl Studer, Brigitte Fassbaender, Eva Marton, Franz Grundheber, James King / Claudio Abbado / Harry Kupfer

Der Rosenkavalier (Bayerische Staatsoper, 1979)
Gwyneth Jones, Brigitte Fassbaender, Lucia Popp, Francisco Araiza / Carlos Kleiber / Otto Schenk

Ariadne auf Naxos (Salzburger Festspiele, 1965)
Sena Jurinac, Hildegard Hillebrecht, Reri Grist, Jess Thomas / Karl Böhm / Günther Rennert

Die Frau ohne Schatten (Aichi Art Theatre, Nagoya, Japan, 1992)
Peter Seiffert, Luana DeVol, Alan Titus, Janis Martin, Marjana Lipovek / Wolfgang Sawallisch / Ennosuke Ichikawa

Die Liebe der Danae (Deutsche Oper Berlin, 2011)
Manuela Uhl, Mark Delavan, Matthias Klink / Andrew Litton / Kirsten Harms

Capriccio (Opéra national de Paris, 2004)
Renée Fleming, Rainer Trost, Gerald Finley, Franz Hawlata, Anne Sofie von Otter / Ulf Schirmer / Robert Carsen

FYI in terms of the physical format
This is a giant box (LP style similar to Bernstein/Walter/Wand) and a huge space waster in an effort to accommodate a Strauss "book" (more like a large booklet). 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

king ubu

Btw, my order for the Günter Wand box didn't come through ... not sure if it was really lost or never sent out (can you ever tell with those cheeky MP vendors?).
However, it turns out ordering from amazon.it now is even a bit cheaper. Crossing fingers (it's been "shipping soon" for a few days by now (which seems more and more common with orders from evil A).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Moonfish

Quote from: king ubu on July 09, 2014, 01:09:30 PM
Btw, my order for the Günter Wand box didn't come through ... not sure if it was really lost or never sent out (can you ever tell with those cheeky MP vendors?).
However, it turns out ordering from amazon.it now is even a bit cheaper. Crossing fingers (it's been "shipping soon" for a few days by now (which seems more and more common with orders from evil A).

Amazon.it has great prices, but the shipping to the US kills the deal very quickly...      >:( >:( >:(
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on July 09, 2014, 01:13:50 PM
Amazon.it has great prices, but the shipping to the US kills the deal very quickly...      >:( >:( >:(
Yes. I paid more to ship that Markovina box than it cost, as I expect did you. Worth it though!

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on July 09, 2014, 02:39:54 PM
Yes. I paid more to ship that Markovina box than it cost, as I expect did you. Worth it though!

Yes, but that was a mega super-duper nova bargain.   :D
Anna Lappé

king ubu

I get free shipping from .it  :)

As for Markovina - modern piano, right?
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on July 10, 2014, 04:34:11 AMAs for Markovina - modern piano, right?
Yes. That's why I didn't get it when it was offered for a ridiculously low price. Now, excuse me, I'll have to go flog myself..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

king ubu

Quote from: North Star on July 10, 2014, 04:40:21 AM
Yes. That's why I didn't get it when it was offered for a ridiculously low price. Now, excuse me, I'll have to go flog myself..
I didn't even have my eyes on it - what was that low price then? I think to me it might be overkill, though. I have some CPE Bach on harpsichord and might get some more (don't have anything in mind right now though), but 26 discs ... I'm surely not turning to self-flagellation because of this  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

North Star

Quote from: king ubu on July 10, 2014, 06:20:00 AM
I didn't even have my eyes on it - what was that low price then? I think to me it might be overkill, though. I have some CPE Bach on harpsichord and might get some more (don't have anything in mind right now though), but 26 discs ... I'm surely not turning to self-flagellation because of this  ;D
Fortepiano is what I want for CPE Bach. It was something like 17 €, but I don't remember if that was with or without shipping..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

king ubu

Okay, that's so damn cheap, I might have gone for it ... so I guess in hindsight I'm glad I missed it!  ;)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on July 10, 2014, 06:23:58 AM
Fortepiano is what I want for CPE Bach.

Me, too. But I would also add clavichord, harpsichord, tangent piano, all the gamut of keyboards arising and saying goodbye during his career.

I don't know if ever has existed a more experimental age in matter of keyboards than the second half of the XVIII Century.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire