The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NLK1971

Beethoven: Complete String Quartets Box set, Hybrid SACD (Harmonia Mundi)
Tokyo String Quartet

Currently:    £15.12 at Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Complete-Quartets-Tokyo-Quartet/dp/B00L5J4PYC/
[asin]B00L5J4PYC[/asin]

Actually quite a few HM items have been reduced (e.g. Paul Lewis - Beethoven/Schubert sonatas; Jacobs - Matthew passion).

albanberg

Anyone waiting for the Karajan Symphony Edition, down to 27.5 GBP. For those of us in the US and avoiding VAT, that's $42 US shipped, slightly more than $1/disc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DCQIAU

bigshot

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 01, 2014, 06:16:48 PM
Fine by me.  I often never play those DVDs anyway.

If you have the Horowitz Carnegie Hall box, you might want to check out the disk in there. It's his comeback concert with the stereo sound synced to it for the first time. Amazing performance. The documentary in the Rubinstein box is worth seeing too.

bigshot

Quote from: albanberg on October 02, 2014, 09:13:48 AM
Anyone waiting for the Karajan Symphony Edition, down to 27.5 GBP. For those of us in the US and avoiding VAT, that's $42 US shipped, slightly more than $1/disc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DCQIAU

I have the Karajan EMI and 60s boxes. This cheapie box gave me all I really need from the 70s. Saved me having to get the big 70s box.

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 01, 2014, 05:58:47 PM
Ordered it from CMS on Amazon MP for $20.86
They have a few more.

Thank you.

Just found out CMS cancelled this as being out of stock.
Actually second time this happened to me with this set.  Guess I am not meant to have it.

ETA they still list it at the same price...hmph.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 01, 2014, 06:16:48 PM
Fine by me.  I often never play those DVDs anyway.  And even w/o the DVD,  I paid less than a dollar per disc.
I wonder what the GMG record for that ratio might be.

I got the 60 disk Sony Beethoven Masterworks box for $27 including s&h, I think that's .45/disk. And that was from Amazon!  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 02, 2014, 05:15:47 PM
I got the 60 disk Sony Beethoven Masterworks box for $27 including s&h, I think that's .45/disk. And that was from Amazon!  :o

8)
I got the 85 disc Brilliant set from Amazon for $29.99, shipping included.

Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up!

The new erato

I got the 150 disc Haydn box on Brilliant from abeille on sale at around 30 Euros!

Holden

I've just bought this as well. I already have the Hungarian SQ but rarely listen to it. Some quick sampling suggested that this purchase would change that habit.
Cheers

Holden

hafod

The Pierre Boulez: The Complete Columbia Album Collection (67 discs, ASIN B00JAOK44O), now £81.18 at AmUk.

NLK1971

Quote from: hafod on October 06, 2014, 08:16:04 AM
The Pierre Boulez: The Complete Columbia Album Collection (67 discs, ASIN B00JAOK44O), now £81.18 at AmUk.

Nice one.

There's a full tracklisting here:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/pierre-boulez-album-collection/hnum/3793150

bogdan101

Quote from: hafod on October 06, 2014, 08:16:04 AM

Thanks, ordered.

king ubu

Lumières-Box for 13 CHF ... not sure what that makes per disc, but if you used real money over there, it would be even less  ;)

Guess I'm back now ... played jazz all the time in the past two months (whilst preparing exams and stuff, lotsa reading and had to listen to familiar things whilst doing so), but now, I'm ready for more CDCDCD stuff ... got plenty o' good deals in those weeks and months, but they were just piling up (the Rameau operas box on Erato/Warner, the Weinberger Bach organ box on cpo, the Janowski Ring, the Gluck operas box ...)

Also pre-ordered the Monteux at 71£ - just about 60£ once the VAT's done with.

So I guess this is the right thread to make my return  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

EigenUser

Quote from: king ubu on October 07, 2014, 12:16:21 AM
Lumières-Box for 13 CHF ... not sure what that makes per disc, but if you used real money over there, it would be even less  ;)

Guess I'm back now ... played jazz all the time in the past two months (whilst preparing exams and stuff, lotsa reading and had to listen to familiar things whilst doing so), but now, I'm ready for more CDCDCD stuff ... got plenty o' good deals in those weeks and months, but they were just piling up (the Rameau operas box on Erato/Warner, the Weinberger Bach organ box on cpo, the Janowski Ring, the Gluck operas box ...)

I noticed that you were gone, actually. Welcome back!

I need to listen to more jazz, but I've been saying this for months (years, even). Do you know of Tom Harrell? I like him quite a bit, but that's nearly all I know (other than some Ellington).

Have you heard Maurice Ohana's cello concerto In Dark and Blue (1990-ish)? Hugely influenced by jazz. One section in the score tells the cellist to play "like a muted jazz trumpet". Another says "Here's to you, Satchmo!" :laugh:  I'm actually listening to it right now. Very improvisatory playing on the cello with rich and colorful orchestral harmonies.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

king ubu

Thx!

Yup, saw Harrell live twice, even ... hard life story there, but he can be a thoroughly wonderful trumpet player and he's got his own voice (which is all that jazz really is about, in the end).

As for Ellington, I've played dozens and dozens of his discs in the past weeks - mostly stuff from the forties to the sixties (his late twenties and even more so thirties output is prime as well). I'm amazed by the consistency of his work every time I revisit any of it ... truly one of the greatest musicians the twentieth century had to offer!

Haven't heard (of) Ohana though - sounds interesting though!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Moonfish

Quote from: king ubu on October 07, 2014, 12:16:21 AM

Hmm, I wonder if you should have chosen the CDCDCD thread instead?   ;D
Welcome back from the Jazz Land!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

king ubu

Quote from: Moonfish on October 07, 2014, 03:20:47 AM
Hmm, I wonder if you should have chosen the CDCDCD thread instead?   ;D
Welcome back from the Jazz Land!

Thx! I guess I'm quite unable to keep those two apart  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!