The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jut1972

thanks both, picked up a DG set at 40 eur plus shipping.  (I think...)

Harry

Quote from: jut1972 on December 05, 2014, 02:48:16 AM
thanks both, picked up a DG set at 40 eur plus shipping.  (I think...)

Shipping should be free, at least thats what it said. But you can see when you click on buy.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

king ubu

The big Pavarotti box will be on sale tomorrow 9 a.m. (centralyuropeen time):
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00G5WUIP4/

Not sure ... just bought a few that are in there, as I really wanted to skip that - but if the price drop is indeed 50%, I might get weak (if it's 40%, I'm safe, as then it would be too high to slip through customs - or wait, I'll be in Germany next week at a friends ... damn  ;)).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Moonfish

*bumping the thread*

The Pavarotti box is on sale for 40 euros (normally 100 euros)for the next four hours (beginning in 2 minutes).

All kinds of other box sets from now until 10am PST. Well worth checking out.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

king ubu

Quote from: Moonfish on December 06, 2014, 10:58:36 PM
*bumping the thread*

The Pavarotti box is on sale for 40 euros (normally 100 euros)for the next four hours (beginning in 2 minutes).

Damn, 40€ - that's even cheaper than I'd hoped. A friend got it and thinks is a marvellous presentation ... guess I'll give it a try (even though I spent probably around 40€ a few months ago on opera recordingss included in this  ::))
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on December 06, 2014, 10:58:36 PM
*bumping the thread*

I guess I just bought it ::)  I was actually just seeing how much it would cost shipped to me, but I clicked a button that said something about US dollars. i thought it would translate the total to USD, but apparently it was purchase in USD.
  I'm going to have to think a bit on whether I want to nix it or not. Sounds interesting, but I have quite a bit of opera...none of which I ever play.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Decided to give it a pass...

While doing so, however, stumbled on a great deal. For those who missed the original DHM 50 disc special set, there has been a 25 disc "best of" cut from it for the last couple of years.  It's normally about 50 bucks, but now Amazon.de has it for 19 Euros.  Terrific stuff for about a dollar a disc...

[asin]B00CA6Y7RO[/asin]
It's all good...

Harry

On Amazon de there is a 30 cd box from Maazel, is that worth the price, anyone know ?
30 cd's 25,00 euros

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Harry's on December 07, 2014, 04:25:03 AM
On Amazon de there is a 30 cd box from Maazel, is that worth the price, anyone know ?
30 cd's 25,00 euros

Moonie ordered one of those, but I'm not sure if he received it yet.  The price is incredible, but the reviews on Amazon US are critical of the sound.  The material is stuff we probably all have a lot of, and I don't know that Maazel is that celebrated in any of it. I rather dread another Beethoven cycle.  There is a Sibelius cycle, though, which might be nice. But then are you paying 25 Euros for a Sibelius set?

Edit: in the end I went for it. Original jacket,and the apparently the recording quality on the later stuff is very good. 
It's all good...

Harry

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 07, 2014, 05:12:02 AM
Moonie ordered one of those, but I'm not sure if he received it yet.  The price is incredible, but the reviews on Amazon US are critical of the sound.  The material is stuff we probably all have a lot of, and I don't know that Maazel is that celebrated in any of it. I rather dread another Beethoven cycle.  There is a Sibelius cycle, though, which might be nice. But then are you paying 25 Euros for a Sibelius set?

Had the same thoughts, although I like the Beethoven cycle with the Clevelanders. The Sibelius with the Pittsburg SO is a cycle I don't know.

jut1972

The Wagner without words in that set is pretty cool.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Harry's on December 07, 2014, 05:26:38 AM
Had the same thoughts, although I like the Beethoven cycle with the Clevelanders. The Sibelius with the Pittsburg SO is a cycle I don't know.

you can get it as an independent box for about $13 (US) from Amazon.  There is a very positive review for that cycle which I found convincing, so I went ahead and got it.  Again this is just hearsay from random reviewers, but supposedly the Sibelius set has terrific sound whereas the Beethoven cycle is so-so.   
It's all good...

Jo498

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 07, 2014, 03:37:04 AM
Decided to give it a pass...

While doing so, however, stumbled on a great deal. For those who missed the original DHM 50 disc special set, there has been a 25 disc "best of" cut from it for the last couple of years.  It's normally about 50 bucks, but now Amazon.de has it for 19 Euros.  Terrific stuff for about a dollar a disc...

[asin]B00CA6Y7RO[/asin]
I will probably regret this but I couldn't resist. I probably resisted already once or twice, now that I think about it. I even have about 3 discs already. But there is enough music I do not know at all that seems interesting and several recordings that had been praised to the skies (like the Bach motets).
Didn't take much to resist the Pavarotti, not my cup of repertoire, certainly not the stuff I seek out multiple recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Took the same route/approach regarding the Maazel - seems the Sibelius cycle included isn't the one that seems to be regarded pretty highly - so no need, I assume.

They keep offering the Brilliant Brahms box, btw - starting again in just a little less than two hours from when I post this:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00HYO8HSW/
€69 is the current regular price, not sure how far it dropped a few days ago as I really don't need this. Nor do I need the Brilliant Bach box, making another show tomorrow 10:30 a.m. (CET), which goes for €80 regularly:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00L2SQVS4/

Kinda weird that they list the Sinopoli "Madama Butterfly" again, as they list it as sold out - it was on offer a few days ago (I ordered it for €20, though aFR offers it for around the same price regularly, 1 left in stock: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000001G9A/).

Anyways, glad to be on vacation (and mostly offline) from Tuesday morning on  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mookalafalas

It's bed time here in Asia, but next up for sale price is the CPE Bach box, which I would really like to have.   I have to wait 35 more minutes, though, to see the price ::)
   I bought the big Brilliant Bach box a few months ago for about $150, as I recall. I love it. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Anyone get their new DHM sent from Japan yet? Mine was to be sent yesterday. But nothing from Japan yet. And it's Dec 7 ...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on December 07, 2014, 07:36:26 AM
Anyone get their new DHM sent from Japan yet? Mine was to be sent yesterday. But nothing from Japan yet. And it's Dec 7 ...

I think mine said it would be sent on the 6th and arrive on the 8th. 

BTW, Baklava gives LIFE
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 07, 2014, 05:12:02 AM
Moonie ordered one of those, but I'm not sure if he received it yet.  The price is incredible, but the reviews on Amazon US are critical of the sound.  The material is stuff we probably all have a lot of, and I don't know that Maazel is that celebrated in any of it. I rather dread another Beethoven cycle. There is a Sibelius cycle, though, which might be nice. But then are you paying 25 Euros for a Sibelius set?

Edit: in the end I went for it. Original jacket,and the apparently the recording quality on the later stuff is very good.

:D :D :D

I knew you could not resist original jackets, Baklava! And you are right, it is in the back of a truck somewhere...
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on December 07, 2014, 07:36:26 AM

Nope -bet the production is slightly delayed?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Amazon.de is selling the Wiener Phil set tomorrow. [8am PST]

[asin] B00M8PBQT4[/asin]
Anna Lappé