The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshot

Picked up the Brilliant Brahms. I already have their little Brahms box, but this price made it too tempting to go for the whole magilla.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry's on December 10, 2014, 07:00:48 AM
Yes all Amazon's should do this including JPC, it brings in so much extra traffic. Only Amazon de is doing this at the moment, I understand this is a pilot, if it works well all other Amazons will implement this. Have no idea if this only goes for the December month. Could not get confirmation about that.
They (Amazon US) did this for a few days around Thanksgiving. I got a couple great deals like Frozen Blu-ray, but missed on How to Train Dragon 2. They didn't have as many classical cds on it though.

It looks like Amazon.de is now repeating most of the offerings...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Harry

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 10, 2014, 09:34:01 AM
They (Amazon US) did this for a few days around Thanksgiving. I got a couple great deals like Frozen Blu-ray, but missed on How to Train Dragon 2. They didn't have as many classical cds on it though.

It looks like Amazon.de is now repeating most of the offerings...

Well as said, if the pilot is successful, we may look at more spending, whether that be good or bad, depending.....
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

jfdrex

If any box set shouts "Super-Duper Cheap!" it's this one:

[asin]B00A2JTEHY[/asin]

$15.79 at the moment--i.e., less than 40 cents per disc, and probably worth every penny. :laugh:  Seems to contain a disappointing amount of chaff, with a few kernels of wheat thrown in.

Moonfish

Quote from: jfdrex on December 12, 2014, 10:59:04 AM
If any box set shouts "Super-Duper Cheap!" it's this one:

[asin]B00A2JTEHY[/asin]

$15.79 at the moment--i.e., less than 40 cents per disc, and probably worth every penny. :laugh:  Seems to contain a disappointing amount of chaff, with a few kernels of wheat thrown in.
I was actually pleasantly surprised when I picked up this set at a much higher price when it first was issued.  The Janowski cycle on its own makes it well worth it. Personally I very much like Karajan's live 1961 recording of Parsifal. There are tons of other things in there and, in my opinion, well worth exploring even if it wasn't a bargain.

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

king ubu

amazon.fr will offer the HM Baroque Opera box for 65 or 66 € tomorrow.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

jserraglio

Sony 15-disc Gustav Leonhardt Edition $17.99 @ ArchivMusic.

hafod

kishnevi

Most of it does not qualify as cheap bargains,  but Arkiv is having a one day sale for Monday the 15th...
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/listPage.jsp?list_id=4056&page_size=100&page_type=4&site_id=E1347

I ordered the Borodin Quartet and Knappertsbusch DVDs, and the Domingo Verdi box,  which I justified on the grounds that of the six operas it contains, I have no recordings at all of three of them (Forza, Vespri, and Luisa Miller)

Manos

The Fritz Reiner box is going for $109.99, the lowest price I've seen lately.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1014187

The Leon Fleisher box is also priced nicely at $42.99.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=975518

Mirror Image

For those interested in owning all of Rachmaninov's oeuvre in one go, then there's a seller on Amazon MP right now who has this for $54 which is the best price I've seen it anywhere:

Most of the sites I've seen this set on have an asking price of $70-80. Grab it while you can!

Manos

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 24, 2014, 05:03:55 AM
  They kinda sorta did. There is another box that is half of original, that sells for about $50. 
          Even better, French Amazon lists it as being available, and claims that though they don't have any now, they will get more of the original box in.  Maybe it is a mistake, but here is the link:
http://www.amazon.fr/Coffret-Deutsche-Harmonia-Edition-Anniversaire/dp/B0014RIULO/ref=fallbacksessionReftagm_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1X70FCAPWT7D73QJSJTF

I got a notice from Amazon.fr today that this is on its way to me, yet they still don't show it in stock, and third party sellers are asking hundreds. I suspect I'm getting the new DHM box in error, which I already have. Has anyone here had good/bad resolutions with wrong titles shipped overseas by Amazon?

Moonfish

Quote from: Manos on December 24, 2014, 03:33:55 PM
I got a notice from Amazon.fr today that this is on its way to me, yet they still don't show it in stock, and third party sellers are asking hundreds. I suspect I'm getting the new DHM box in error, which I already have. Has anyone here had good/bad resolutions with wrong titles shipped overseas by Amazon?

I shop from Amazon UK, DE, FR, IT and JP all the time and they have had excellent service so far...  :)    Occasionally a shipment gets lost, but I have never received the wrong item from the overseas Amazon. The MP is variable with more errors, but still excellent overall.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Manos on December 24, 2014, 03:33:55 PM
It's possible that the ISIN or other identifying number is wrong (this was the case with a Chopin set). Amazon should approve any refund if it is not what you wanted (and assuming it is unopened).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Abuelo Igor

The second 50-CD DHM box is right now at €49,49 on Amazon.it. The offer will end in approximately 83 minutes from now.

And happy new year, by the way!
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Moonfish

Not really a SDCB, but still a good deal for the new 20th century Boulez box at Amazon.IT [90 euros including S&H to the US]

http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00P08LJ1Q/ref=pe_386201_41597321_TE_item

Anna Lappé

Ken B

The Weiss/Cardin Brilliant box, 12 cds, is $30 shipped to the USA from amazon.de

Green Destiny

This excellent Shostakovich cycle by Jansons is only 13 pounds on Amazon.UK at the moment:

[asin]B000G6BJS0[/asin]

Note: Only 3 left in stock

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 24, 2015, 12:45:11 AM
This excellent Shostakovich cycle by Jansons is only 13 pounds on Amazon.UK at the moment:

[asin]B000G6BJS0[/asin]

Note: Only 3 left in stock

I wonder if it still has a defective CD? The best I can remember the CD with Symphony No. 7 'Leningrad' had defects and noticeable glitches.

North Star

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2015, 06:57:01 AM
I wonder if it still has a defective CD? The best I can remember the CD with Symphony No. 7 'Leningrad' had defects and noticeable glitches.
No it doesn't, they fixed that years ago.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr