The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abuelo Igor

I clearly remember, last year, Amazon.fr going back on a bargain of the Erato Messiaen set at 15 euros, saying that they would lose money selling at such a low price, and, furthermore, that it was not permitted by law, or words to that effect. So far, the UK branch has been more reliable, but I remain skeptical.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

marvinbrown

Quote from: jut1972 on February 06, 2015, 02:00:40 PM
Bargain!  Speedyhen are a decent seller too. . Good spot!

Well here's hoping that they come speedily "a'cluckin" "with my order!

marvin

marvinbrown

Oh no  now it's gone up to £84 !!!! 

Ken B

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on February 07, 2015, 01:14:33 AM
I clearly remember, last year, Amazon.fr going back on a bargain of the Erato Messiaen set at 15 euros, saying that they would lose money selling at such a low price, and, furthermore, that it was not permitted by law, or words to that effect. So far, the UK branch has been more reliable, but I remain skeptical.

No that's true. Loss leaders are illegal in France. Because politiciansknow better than businessmen how to run a business.

Moonfish

Some excellent deals at Amazon.it today. Worthwhile checking out. Have fun!
http://www.amazon.it/

Examples:

Baroque L'Oiseau-Lyre Edition - 50 euros

Glenn Gould - 44 euros

Colin Davis - 34 euros

Abbado - 30 euros

Wiener Phil - 60 euros

DHM - 39 euros

Monteux - 55 euros

Ozawa - 55 euros

Tebaldi - 54 euros

DG Bernstein - 64 euros

Ansermet - French - 36 euros

and much more....    >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

marvinbrown

Quote from: Orpheus on January 31, 2015, 06:00:25 AM
I've just bought this monster!

http://www.amazon.it/Complete-Bach-Jean-Sebastien/dp/B006WKDT1E/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1422716224&sr=1-1&keywords=bach+teldec

And a glorious monster it is!!  I love the HIP approach, everything is as it should be.  I have had the pleasure of hearing 75% of it and it is as I said GLORIOUS!!!  Raw, earnest, none of this "ROMANTICIZED" Bach on the piano non-sense.......just PERFECT!

Enjoy it!
  marvin

I got mine for £198 so you have beaten my price...WELL DONE!

Mookalafalas

Peter, Peter, Peter. I thought of you as a true friend. How could you do this to me :'( :'( :'( :P
  I've been dying for that Decca Wiener Phil box for a long time. I guess now I have no reason to resist. Even though I've been so good for so long.

Actually, just today I took 1K worth of lenses to a camera shop to be sold on consignment (one was my xmas gift to myself), so I guess I deserve it. The price really is super bargain worthy, but I have been so good for so long...
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 09, 2015, 05:40:41 AM
Peter, Peter, Peter. I thought of you as a true friend. How could you do this to me :'( :'( :'( :P
  I've been dying for that Decca Wiener Phil box for a long time. I guess now I have no reason to resist. Even though I've been so good for so long.

Actually, just today I took 1K worth of lenses to a camera shop to be sold on consignment (one was my xmas gift to myself), so I guess I deserve it. The price really is super bargain worthy, but I have been so good for so long...

Be strong. Al, be strong.
Ken B <-- a friend in need

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 09, 2015, 05:40:41 AM

:-\
Well, I managed to be good even though I was attracted to the Gould box. Hopefully the sale won't last long.   You really can't go wrong with the Wiener Phil box. It is packed with excellent recordings (of warhorses, but still a great journey). Nice choice!   :)

I noticed that many of the items already changed in price. Good thing I logged out of Amazon.it early last night...  0:)

PS! Al, did you get the WP set before the price went back to normal?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on February 09, 2015, 06:33:38 AM

PS! Al, did you get the WP set before the price went back to normal?

I did, Peter, I did! 49 Euros after the VAT was taken off. I went ahead and got the Argerich box 3 (of the DG series) too, which I've been eyeing for ages.  Hopefully this will keep me satisfied for the next 4 months 8)
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 09, 2015, 11:18:01 PM
  I did, Peter, I did! 49 Euros after the VAT was taken off. I went ahead and got the Argerich box 3 (of the DG series) too, which I've been eyeing for ages.  Hopefully this will keep me satisfied for the next 4 months 8)
I'm glad! It seems like the sale for some of these only lasted a few hours....
Four months it is!!!    :)
Anna Lappé

jfdrex

Not quite super-duper size-wise (8 cds), but well worth mentioning:  Kondrashin's incomplete Mahler set (Symphonies 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 9) with the Moscow Philharmonic and Leningrad Philharmonic on Melodiya was just listed at BRO for $23.92 (plus BRO's usual shipping & handling charge, which will bring your cost up to at least $30 or thereabouts).  By contrast,  it's currently going for a steep $88 (used) or a whopping $599.99 (new) at Amazon.

hafod

Quote from: jfdrex on February 12, 2015, 05:46:37 PM
Not quite super-duper size-wise (8 cds), but well worth mentioning:  Kondrashin's incomplete Mahler set (Symphonies 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 9) with the Moscow Philharmonic and Leningrad Philharmonic on Melodiya was just listed at BRO for $23.92 (plus BRO's usual shipping & handling charge, which will bring your cost up to at least $30 or thereabouts).  By contrast,  it's currently going for a steep $88 (used) or a whopping $599.99 (new) at Amazon.

It might just be worth mentioning that a new set can be had from an AmazonUK marketplace seller for £30 (less if you are in the fortunate position of not having to pay VAT)!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00035VSSA/sr=8-1/qid=1423816958/

jserraglio

Glenn Gould - The Complete Bach Collection 44 discs $69.99 on weekend sale thru 2/15/2015

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=798148

Wakefield

Quote from: marvinbrown on February 09, 2015, 05:13:00 AM
  And a glorious monster it is!!  I love the HIP approach, everything is as it should be.  I have had the pleasure of hearing 75% of it and it is as I said GLORIOUS!!!  Raw, earnest, none of this "ROMANTICIZED" Bach on the piano non-sense.......just PERFECT!

Enjoy it!
  marvin

I got mine for £198 so you have beaten my price...WELL DONE!

QFT  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Moonfish

RVW/Boult
Only $16 in the Amazon MP

[asin] B00B2GYJ3U[/asin]
Anna Lappé

ritter

It's always been cheap in Italy (I bought it a more or less the same price--ca. €38-- in October 2013), but the price elsewhere has shot up:

[asin]B00BK40R1M[/asin]

http://www.amazon.it/Symphonies-Box-22cd-Karl-B%C3%B6hm/dp/B00BK40R1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424185830&sr=8-1&keywords=b%C3%B6hm

Mirror Image

For those interested in Bantock's orchestral music, an Amazon France MP seller has the Handley Hyperion set for €25,15. Even though I already own the set, I bought one and had it shipped to my buddy, Karlo (North Star), in Finland.

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on February 20, 2015, 12:02:13 AM
Super duper is probably stretching it, but this brick (65 CDs & 5 DVDs) is now €100 at jpc:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Murray-Perahia-Edition-The-First-40-Years/hnum/1696469

Q

I still wait a little me thinks, I have a gut feeling that this set will even get cheaper, much cheaper!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."