The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Harry's on February 20, 2015, 12:09:27 AM
I still wait a little me thinks, I have a gut feeling that this set will even get cheaper, much cheaper!

That is the most expensive I've seen it! It's still 69USD at ImportCD. 
It's all good...

Brian

Yes, I got that box from ImportCDs for US $65.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on February 20, 2015, 04:49:29 AM
I paid 69 I think, plus $4 shipping.
A great great box in any case.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on February 20, 2015, 04:49:29 AM

Sure but to ship it to Europe would cost quite a bundle.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Drosera

Quote from: Harry's on February 20, 2015, 05:16:17 AM

Shipping was affordable, but you definitely need to factor in the import duties. Still, although I don't know what the eventual sum was, it was still considerably less than 100 euros. And more than worth every euro/dollar.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Harry's on February 20, 2015, 05:16:17 AM

ImportCD has VERY low shipping.  Mine was to Taiwan. Under $10, I think.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 20, 2015, 05:02:10 PM
ImportCD has VERY low shipping.  Mine was to Taiwan. Under $10, I think.

They have low prices but dreadful service. Caveat emptor.

Moonfish

For our European members:
Several recordings with Sweelinck's music are on sale at Amazon.de MP  (Glossa label)

for example

Full details

Thanks to http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.fr/
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Que

Quote from: Moonfish on February 22, 2015, 11:20:44 AM
For our European members:
Several recordings with Sweelinck's music are on sale at Amazon.de MP  (Glossa label)

for example

Full details

Thanks to http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.fr/

If you don't mind reading Dutch..... Though no problem for me and some others here  8)

Q

DaveF

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Moonfish

Maybe not super-duper, but there are some good deals at Amazon.it at the moment. There seems to be something wrong with their S&H calculation so they are not adding on the mega shipping cost.  I bought three smaller boxes and they just charged 10 euros for shipping to the US (this never happens). There is a number of other items as well worthwhile considering.
Prices below do not include the S&H nor the VAT discount.

Leonhardt is affordable at 38 euros

http://www.amazon.it/Art-Gustav-Leonhard-Leonhardt/dp/B00T65T6YQ

Grumiaux - Mozart for 46 euros

http://www.amazon.it/Mozart-Recordings-Arthur-Grumiaux/dp/B00T5AJ3ZE

Goberman - Haydn for 31 euros

http://www.amazon.it/Max-Goberman-Symphonies-Haydn/dp/B00PCCX0NA
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

HIPster

Great, budget set of Telemann's Tafelmusik, from the amazon mp ~
[asin]B0001NPU0G[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

ubertrout

Quote from: jfdrex on February 12, 2015, 05:46:37 PM
Not quite super-duper size-wise (8 cds), but well worth mentioning:  Kondrashin's incomplete Mahler set (Symphonies 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 9) with the Moscow Philharmonic and Leningrad Philharmonic on Melodiya was just listed at BRO for $23.92 (plus BRO's usual shipping & handling charge, which will bring your cost up to at least $30 or thereabouts).  By contrast,  it's currently going for a steep $88 (used) or a whopping $599.99 (new) at Amazon.

Great catch...I'd been looking for this for a while but hadn't been willing to pay the asking prices.  I feel like BRO is rarely super-cheap on multidisc sets at megabox prices, but is of course fantastic for smaller sets and single discs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2015, 06:24:35 AM
Just bought (Birthday Splurge, Part IV) -

The main reason I bought this, aside from the fact that I love Bernstein's Mahler, is that this was a ridiculously good price on Amazon UK ($61 incl. shipping).

I'm not sure of it's current price at Amazon UK, but when I bought this a few days ago, this was quite a steal.

Chris L.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2015, 07:21:29 PM
I'm not sure of it's current price at Amazon UK, but when I bought this a few days ago, this was quite a steal.
Is this an expanded edition of the older Bernstein/Mahler Box on DG that just has the symphonies? That set is only $37 at this writing, and the one with the 5 extra discs of songs is $114! Could it be that much cheaper from the UK? Unless these are different recordings or there is something otherwise special about the newer set, I think I'll forgo the songs and just get the symphonies for $37. http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B0033QC0WY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426217082&sr=8-2&keywords=bernstein+mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christopher on March 12, 2015, 07:28:01 PM
Is this an expanded edition of the older Bernstein/Mahler Box on DG that just has the symphonies? That set is only $37 at this writing, and the one with the 5 extra discs of songs is $114! Unless there is something different or special about this newer set, I think I'll forgo the songs and just get the symphonies. http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B0033QC0WY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426217082&sr=8-2&keywords=bernstein+mahler

A very good question, here's the tracklisting of the DG Complete Symphonies & Orchestral Songs set:

1. Symphony no 1 in D major "Titan"
With Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
2. Symphony no 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Barbara Hendricks, Christa Ludwig
3. Symphony no 3 in D minor
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Christa Ludwig
4. Symphony no 4 in G major
With Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Helmut Wittek
5. Des Knaben Wunderhorn
With Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Lucia Popp, Andreas Schmidt
6. Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Thomas Hampson
7. Symphony no 5 in C sharp minor
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
8. Symphony no 6 in A minor "Tragic"
9. Symphony no 7 in E minor
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra
10. Kindertotenlieder
11. Ruckert Lieder
12. Symphony no 8 in E flat major "Symphony of A Thousand"
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Margaret Price, José Van Dam,
13. Symphony no 9 in D major
14. Symphony no 10 in F sharp minor/major: 1st movement, Adagio
15. Das Lied von der Erde
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, James King, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

This particular set is actually older than than the one you're referring to in your link. This set was released in 1998 (according to all online sources). If you can get this set for close to what I paid for it it would be worth just for the inclusion of these song cycles. They're very much worth owning IMHO, especially with Bernstein at the helm. This set, also, is a collector's set, so expect a nice presentation.

Chris L.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2015, 07:35:29 PM
A very good question, here's the tracklisting of the DG Complete Symphonies & Orchestral Songs set:

1. Symphony no 1 in D major "Titan"
2. Symphony no 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Barbara Hendricks, Christa Ludwig
3. Symphony no 3 in D minor
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Christa Ludwig
4. Symphony no 4 in G major
With Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Helmut Wittek
5. Des Knaben Wunderhorn
With Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Lucia Popp, Andreas Schmidt
6. Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
7. Symphony no 5 in C sharp minor
8. Symphony no 6 in A minor "Tragic"
9. Symphony no 7 in E minor
With Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra
10. Kindertotenlieder
11. Ruckert Lieder
12. Symphony no 8 in E flat major "Symphony of A Thousand"
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Margaret Price, José Van Dam,
13. Symphony no 9 in D major
14. Symphony no 10 in F sharp minor/major: 1st movement, Adagio
15. Das Lied von der Erde
With Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, James King, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

This particular set is actually older than than the one you're referring to in your link. This set was released in 1998 (according to all online sources). If you can get this set for close to what I paid for it would be worth just for the inclusion of these song cycles. They're very much worth owning IMHO, especially with Bernstein at the helm.
Yes, you are correct, this is the older set. The newer one contains the same complete symphonies as recorded by Bernstein for DG, minus anything else. From an experienced collectors standpoint, yours is the more desirable of the two. From a budget minded standpoint who is not very familiar with Mahler (me), the newer set makes more sense. I've heard about how good these recordings are both sonically and interpretively and I want to get them. I don't have any Mahler at all. I can always pick up his non-symphonic music on single discs or other sets later on if I decide I want to explore further.

kishnevi

Quote from: Christopher on March 12, 2015, 07:28:01 PM
Is this an expanded edition of the older Bernstein/Mahler Box on DG that just has the symphonies? That set is only $37 at this writing, and the one with the 5 extra discs of songs is $114! Unless these are different recordings or there is something otherwise special about the newer set, I think I'll forgo the songs and just get the symphonies for $37. http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B0033QC0WY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426217082&sr=8-2&keywords=bernstein+mahler

The $37 set is the newer one.  The $114 set is the older one.
Part of the difference in number of discs is due to the newer set scrunching the music into as few discs as possible, so symphonies are split up between discs, coupked together in almost random fashion. Also,  Das Lied von der Erde is not in the new set, but is available on its own.
The songs are worth getting. Hampson's Ruckert Lieder is my favorite recording if that cycle.  Again, it should be available on its own.  It is also in the DG Complete Mahler box.
Finally, a third option. DG between these two sets issued a series that included all the Bernstein Mahler in three smaller sets.  Here is the one with Hampson

You may find that series a good fit.
Finally, remember Amazon Marketplace pricing is well below Amazon's official price.
Quote from: Christopher on March 12, 2015, 07:44:23 PM
Yes, you are correct, this is the older set. The newer one contains the same complete symphonies as recorded by Bernstein for DG, minus anything else. From an experienced collectors standpoint, yours is the more desirable of the two. From a budget minded standpoint who is not very familiar with Mahler (me), the newer set makes more sense. I've heard about how good these recordings are both sonically and interpretively and I want to get them. I don't have any Mahler at all. I can always pick up his non-symphonic music on single discs or other sets later on if I decide I want to explore further.
The songs are essential, as important as the symphonies.  You will need them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christopher on March 12, 2015, 07:44:23 PMYes, you are correct, this is the older set. The newer one contains the same complete symphonies as recorded by Bernstein for DG, minus anything else. From a collectors standpoint, yours is the more desirable of the two. From a budget minded standpoint (me) the newer set makes sense. I've heard about how good these recordings are both sonically and interpretively and I want to get them. I don't have any Mahler at all. I can always pick up his non-symphonic music on single discs or other sets later on if I decide I want to explore further.

If you're seeking a budget box set, there are many options in terms of Mahler's symphonies. For me, it doesn't get any better than Lenny in Mahler, so I'm a bit biased when it comes these matters, but, still, there are some very capable Mahlerians out there with some sets worth exploring. Of course, Lenny recorded two cycles (Columbia, DG). I haven't really explored any of his DG output, but the Columbia comes highly recommended by many here and it's also to be found at a budget price from Amazon MP sellers:

[asin]B005SJIP1E[/asin]

Chris L.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 12, 2015, 07:53:13 PM
If you're seeking a budget box set, there are many options in terms of Mahler's symphonies. For me, it doesn't get any better than Lenny in Mahler, so I'm a bit biased when it comes these matters, but, still, there are some very capable Mahlerians out there with some sets worth exploring. Of course, Lenny recorded two cycles (Columbia, DG). I haven't really explored any of his DG output, but the Columbia comes highly recommended by many here and it's also to be found at a budget price from Amazon MP sellers:

[asin]B005SJIP1E[/asin]
Bernstein's 1980's DG recordings of the Mahler Symphonies are the ones I've heard people raving about in the audiophile community as some of the best ever recorded. Original LP pressings in sealed or NM condition of these go for big bucks whenever I see them come on ebay, which isn't that often. These are the Mahler symphonies I want. $37 is well within reason for such a desirable set from a major label.