The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 29, 2015, 12:58:30 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone received their RVW bargain set as yet please ? Card's been debited over a week ago, but nothing showed up yet for me.
Not sure where you are located Papy, but packages from Italy can take one to three weeks to get to the US.   :(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Papy Oli

I am in the UK. I have had parcels from Am IT and Am ES turning up faster than normal Am UK service before. To be fair though, for this one, that's the first time I ordered from an MP via a non-UK Amazon.

I just wondered ;) Just have to be patient   ;D

Olivier

AnthonyAthletic

Oli, I was a day after your heads up in purchasing.  Mine is despatched but not arrived yet.  Been about a week so far.  Usually Amz are really quick from Germany, 3 days or so.  Having never ordered from Italy before I just don't know what to expect.  Anyway, the money has been debited so still hoping soon.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

North Star

Out of curiosity, has anyone received their RVW bargain set as yet please ? Card's been debited over a week ago, but nothing showed up yet for me.
Not yet. Amazon Italy was really fast the last time I bought something from them (the Art of Chailly) but that was two years ago.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

My experience with AmIt has always been good (and with speedy delivery). In this case, thogh, AKAIK you guys are dealing with an MP seller, and the delivery times will be variable... Don't despair!  :) ...well, and I really can't understand anyone being in a hurry to listen to all that RVW  :D (just kidding  ;) )...

North Star

Quote from: ritter on April 29, 2015, 11:12:23 PM
My experience with AmIt has always been good (and with speedy delivery). In this case, thogh, AKAIK you guys are dealing with an MP seller, and the delivery times will be variable... Don't despair!  :) ...well, and I really can't understand anyone being in a hurry to listen to all that RVW  :D (just kidding  ;) )...
Yes, that's true, Dodax is the seller. We'll get our RVW some time next month, we can all wait until then before panicking ;)

My photographs on Flickr

Papy Oli

tomorrow is next month... Can I panic tomorrow ?  ;) ???  :blank:  0:) :laugh: 8)
Olivier

North Star

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 30, 2015, 03:01:10 AM
tomorrow is next month... Can I panic tomorrow ?  ;) ???  :blank:  0:) :laugh: 8)
Only if you receive your set tomorrow, Oli. ;)

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

On this one, a couple of time-honored cliches leap to mind. 1st: "hope for the best, be prepared for the worst".  I'm a bit worried there might have been a glitch in their cataloging and we're going to get a single disc or some such.  If so, it's too bad, but hardly the end of the world ($6 ??? ??? ::) :P) After all, we all know (2nd) "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."  If we get Xmas in May, that's great, but if not, I hope there is not going to be too much wailing and hand-wringing. No one cashed out their retirement savings for this one ;)
It's all good...

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Papy Oli

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on April 29, 2015, 02:32:38 PM
Oli, I was a day after your heads up in purchasing.  Mine is despatched but not arrived yet.  Been about a week so far.  Usually Amz are really quick from Germany, 3 days or so.  Having never ordered from Italy before I just don't know what to expect.  Anyway, the money has been debited so still hoping soon.

Quote from: North Star on April 29, 2015, 05:53:16 PM
Not yet. Amazon Italy was really fast the last time I bought something from them (the Art of Chailly) but that was two years ago.

The RVW set has landed this morning  8)
Olivier

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 11, 2015, 01:24:29 AM

The RVW set has landed this morning  8)

:) :) :)

Great news. I had doubts about that set.  Hopefully mine will also arrive soon.
It's all good...

North Star

I had no doubts whatsoever, but it's good to know that it should land soon here as well.

My photographs on Flickr

AnthonyAthletic

Great news on the Vaughan Williams, mine arrived today too.

Y'all gonna get yours  :D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Karl Henning

Cheers, Tony!  (I didn't order one   0:) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: karlhenning on May 12, 2015, 10:43:20 AM
Cheers, Tony!  (I didn't order one   0:) )

Be worth it should it pop up again Karl.  I've just been listening to the Belart Boult set without the 9th, oldies but golden!  I bought the 9th on the Everest label and discovered Arnold and his third symphony, my first taste of Arnold well received.  Maybe I'll invest in the Hickox Arnold, unless somebody says...'go Naxos'?  :)

Harry

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 12, 2015, 10:49:40 AM
Be worth it should it pop up again Karl.  I've just been listening to the Belart Boult set without the 9th, oldies but golden!  I bought the 9th on the Everest label and discovered Arnold and his third symphony, my first taste of Arnold well received.  Maybe I'll invest in the Hickox Arnold, unless somebody says...'go Naxos'?  :)

Go Naxos and then buy Hickox, they are both well worth your money
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Ken B

I haven't got mine yet. With luck I'll get Al's.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2015, 11:09:08 AM
I haven't got mine yet. With luck I'll get Al's.

Ah, Ken, Ken, Ken....you've got to let go. It has become very clear that you can never again be completely at peace until you can cradle your very own SEON box to your bosom and weep refreshing and life-affirming tears of relief and joy... ::) ;) ;D
It's all good...

bigshot

For Stokowski fans (like me)... The 41 disk Decca Phase 4 Stereo box set is down close to $67 shipped to the US from Amazon.co.uk. A quarter of this set is Stokowski. It's not for purists... these were audiophile recordings designed to showcase the colorful stereo effects possible with multi-channel miking and mixing. They don't sound like a real orchestra in a real hall, but they sound very impressive nonetheless. My parents had several of these albums... New World Symphony, Wagner overtures, Tchaikovsky, Schhehrezade... and I remember as a kid how overpowering the sound was. There was a Flying Dutchman overture that I distinctly remember as sounding like a widescreen Technicolor movie.

Can't wait to get it... not for those who have ideas of what is "proper" but a lot of fun for those who can find fun in different approaches.