The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Could someone kindly provide a compelling REASON for disallowing downloads, other than "I don't like it"?

The advantages to allowing them are obvious: all bargains under one roof without the need to search other threads.

The OP understood this.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Can we be sure you would find a reason compelling?  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on June 19, 2015, 06:49:04 AM
Can we be sure you would find a reason compelling?  8)

Well, there's a vocal minority who insist things be just so. It's not unreasonable to ask them to pony up with something tangible.

Not just for my sake alone, obviously.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Ken B

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 19, 2015, 06:41:04 AM
Could someone kindly provide a compelling REASON for disallowing downloads, other than "I don't like it"?

Yes. I already have. People who are not posters here use the thread and have refresh set up. I did before I was a member. So this really becomes a problem in user interface design. Which is more user friendly, two threads pinned side by side as Wanderer suggests, easily found by search engines, easily bookmarked, that alert audiences about whom we know little to bargains they are interested in, or one thread with lots of activity they don't care about? There's a reason we only post classical bargains on the thread, not what a great price there is on shoes on Zappos today. Same principle. Yes you can go overboard in splitting, but we have seen expressed here a felt desire to keep the two separate. I bet the non-members have similar needs. This is not overkill. Two threads are more user friendly for causal users.

And so far the concern is from the I-dont-like-download folks. But what about people out the webosphere who want JUST downloads? Their life would be easier with a download specific thread. This one is too cluttered with useless boxes for their needs.

Ken B

PerfectWagnerite

I don't do downloads and I don't like downloads. It cheapens the music. On a well presented CD you get a nice booklet with timing, performers, biographical information about the composer, and some analysis and history of the work. It makes you learn something and encourages you to explore further. Hence I like the Original Jacket series - each cd is like its own entity, living and breathing, a permanent part of recorded and cultural history. Take the Perahia box for example - the presentation is superb. It makes you want to explore further. Every CD has a cover art almost frozen in time. Downloads reduce all these to a bunch of ones and zeros. Yes you can get downloads, lots of them, for very little. But I am at a point where it takes me time to digest every piece of music and every performance versus mass quantity of music.

You can listen to almost anything on youtube for free, most of them in good decent sound if digital music is your preference. You don't even have to pay for anything.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Ken B on June 19, 2015, 08:46:52 AM
Yes. I already have. People who are not posters here use the thread and have refresh set up. I did before I was a member. So this really becomes a problem in user interface design. Which is more user friendly, two threads pinned side by side as Wanderer suggests, easily found by search engines, easily bookmarked, that alert audiences about whom we know little to bargains they are interested in, or one thread with lots of activity they don't care about? There's a reason we only post classical bargains on the thread, not what a great price there is on shoes on Zappos today. Same principle. Yes you can go overboard in splitting, but we have seen expressed here a felt desire to keep the two separate. I bet the non-members have similar needs. This is not overkill. Two threads are more user friendly for causal users.

And so far the concern is from the I-dont-like-download folks. But what about people out the webosphere who want JUST downloads? Their life would be easier with a download specific thread. This one is too cluttered with useless boxes for their needs.

Well, that's a start...something to build on perhaps.

Unfortunately posts like "PerfectWagnerite's" seem the prevailing sentiment among the naysayers, which is more what I'm protesting than anything.

bigshot

Considering the rarity of posts pointing to download bargains and the long extended arguments in favor of banning downloads from this thread, I really don't think the problem is downloads. It's net copping.

Brian

Quote from: bigshot on June 19, 2015, 09:47:05 AM
Considering the rarity of posts pointing to download bargains and the long extended arguments in favor of banning downloads from this thread, I really don't think the problem is downloads. It's net copping.

We're up to about 60 posts of arguing about downloads for every 1 post about downloads. The problem is, pretty clearly, the arguing.

jut1972

The last time this conversation kicked off was because I posted an amazing deal on a download.   I posted this in all good faith even though I already had the CDs.   All I got back was bitching from someone who neverpposts deals but was happy to moan about them.   So screw him.

See you again next year.

Gurn Blanston

So here's the deal:

CD and download bargains can be posted in this thread. Any further posts on this topic, either for it or against it, will be deleted. Enough is enough.  >:(  $:)

GB
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Elgarian

Quote from: hafod on June 17, 2015, 11:22:40 PM
'Maria Joao Pires - The Complete Erato Recordings' - 17cds: £15.96
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JJONQKY/

Well by golly this looks very much like a whizzo sooper dooper bargain to me, and it's still available. Ordered one, with thanks, Mr Hafod.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Stokowski Stereo, 10 cd, under 15 pounds
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083D9MXM?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_co_p15_d0_i3

Snarfed a Pires, thank you. Almost certainly an Xmas gift for some lucky victim relative.

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on June 19, 2015, 11:25:14 AM
Stokowski Stereo, 10 cd, under 15 pounds
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083D9MXM?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_co_p15_d0_i3

Snarfed a Pires, thank you. Almost certainly an Xmas gift for some lucky victim relative.
USA customers can find that Stokowski Stereo 10 CDs for $15 shipped at ImportCDs.

People who already have all or some of the Pires Erato recordings, are you big fans? Not that, at about $1.50 per CD, it's a huge gamble!

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2015, 11:33:46 AM
People who already have all or some of the Pires Erato recordings, are you big fans? Not that, at about $1.50 per CD, it's a huge gamble!

Haven't a clue what to expect from these early recordings, Brian, but I felt that even if I do no more than a happy trip through yet another take on a bunch of Mozart piano concertos, it'd be worth £16 to me.

kishnevi

Via Discophage (remember him)
http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.fr/2015/06/symphonies-de-chostakovitch-kitaenko-12.html
With shipping to the US, I paid just under $30.  In fact, shipping accounted for about a third of the price.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 19, 2015, 01:17:57 PM
http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.fr/2015/06/symphonies-de-chostakovitch-kitaenko-12.html
With shipping to the US, I paid just under $30.  In fact, shipping accounted for about a third of the price.
Discophage is a true hero and friend of all of us.

I just ordered the Annie Fischer EMI Icon box for under US $20 shipped from Amazon UK, via his link. First classical purchase since January 1. Act fast, shoppers!!!

Ken B

Poop.that's a great deal and the set of those I most want. But I just bought Jansons

Parsifal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 19, 2015, 01:17:57 PM

Well, it is worth looking in on this thread now and then...