The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt Whitman

I sure hope you're right!

65 CD's of Handel for $20.99 would be truly super-duper!  ;)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Walt Whitman on August 09, 2015, 05:24:24 PM
We'll see how this one pans out, but...

Brilliant Classics is coming out with a 65 CD "Handel Edition" Box August 21 on Amazon US. Amazon's "Preorder Guarantee" price is $20.99 plus shipping. My order is in, but I'm not holding my breath; I just wonder what the "We're sorry..." response will be like, though stranger things have happened.

Who knows, this may turn out to be a pleasant surprise!

/optimism

Shhh!

Hurry!
The price has remained unchanged for at least several days now, so it seems like it is real (although every other site has it priced much higher). If it was a mistake, you would think they would have noticed by day 2. It's ranked #107 in all of music too (and #2 for classical symphonies).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 09, 2015, 08:30:36 PM
The price has remained unchanged for at least several days now, so it seems like it is real (although every other site has it priced much higher). If it was a mistake, you would think they would have noticed by day 2. It's ranked #107 in all of music too (and #2 for classical symphonies).

Yes. What surprises me is that I thought it was one of those marketing exercises where the price starts off ludicrously low and then grows as more copies are sold. But that doesn't seem to have happened here (yet).

Abuelo Igor

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think that most likely the person in charge of detecting such mistakes is on holiday and that's the reason this has gone undetected for so many days.

I thought of ordering it too just in case, but I have a personal deterrent nobody here has talked about. I keep a detailed catalogue of all my classical records, with a list of every work, interpreter, record label and year of recording. The thought of 65 CDs of Handel, with hundreds of pieces, some of them licensed, as it is usual for Brilliant, from unknown labels with no hint of when it was recorded or released, entails for me an amount of work and research that I cannot afford at the moment. I prefer to listen to the Handel I already have, most of which, honest to say, remains untouched.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

bigshot

I let itunes catalog my music for me, and use the time I save listening to music. Once I rip a box set, it goes into automatic rotation. Music streams 24/7 to my entire house. So wherever I am, if I want to listen to music, I just turn on the stereo and it plays. No music goes unheard.

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on August 10, 2015, 10:05:35 AM
I let itunes catalog my music for me, and use the time I save listening to music. Once I rip a box set, it goes into automatic rotation. Music streams 24/7 to my entire house. So wherever I am, if I want to listen to music, I just turn on the stereo and it plays. No music goes unheard.

This is both appealing and unappealing. I want to choose what I listen to -- usually. But sometimes random chance is good. And it would be good to be reminded of discs I have forgotten. I have tons of those. And too often put on what is in my living room, not upstairs where most of the discs live.

Jay F

Quote from: bigshot on August 10, 2015, 10:05:35 AM

Are you using the latest version of iTunes, 12.2.1.16? I use it, and am having problems with tracks freezing temporarily. It happens with both wireless speakers and a set that are attached to my desktop computer (non-wireless).

listener

I think I have a lot of that already or good alternatives.   65 discs will be more than I can Handel.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mc ukrneal

Quote from: listener on August 10, 2015, 06:41:16 PM
I think I have a lot of that already or good alternatives.   65 discs will be more than I can Handel.
Very punny! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

hafod

Amazon Spain:

Celibidache Volume 3: French and Russian Music - EMI/Warner: €8.70 (11 CD)
http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B005HYNCTA?

David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings (17cd) - €11.40
http://www.amazon.es/dp/B001ASVXSE/

Karl Henning

Quote from: hafod on August 11, 2015, 01:45:17 AM
Amazon Spain:

Celibidache Volume 3: French and Russian Music - EMI/Warner: €8.70 (11 CD)
http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B005HYNCTA?

David Oistrakh: The Complete EMI Recordings (17cd) - €11.40
http://www.amazon.es/dp/B001ASVXSE/

The Oistrakh is an excellent set.  And that is too sweet a price for the Celibidache to resist . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bigshot

Quote from: Ken B on August 10, 2015, 10:41:10 AM
This is both appealing and unappealing. I want to choose what I listen to -- usually.

Well of course, I can select anything I want to play quickly using my iPhone as a remote control.

Quote from: Jay F on August 10, 2015, 12:35:10 PM
Are you using the latest version of iTunes, 12.2.1.16? I use it, and am having problems with tracks freezing temporarily. It happens with both wireless speakers and a set that are attached to my desktop computer (non-wireless).

I'm using the current iTunes and it works fine. It's not likely to be the speakers causing the problem. It sounds to me like your iTunes database needs to be rebuilt. With a large library this can take a while so be prepared if you are going to do it. The Apple support page on rebuilding the database is here... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201561

ritter

Cross-posted from the "Purchases today" thread:

Quote from: ritter on August 13, 2015, 01:31:12 AM
Bought at 4€ yeterday at amazon.es:

[asin]B000002S4V[/asin]

Could qualify as super-duper cheap bargain. There's still one copy left at the time of writing... ;)

albanberg

Since we are noting the 2-disc Solomon late Beethoven set, worth pointing out that an Amazon US MP seller has the Icon set for about $12 + shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Solomon-Cutner/dp/B00166QKJM

DaveF

Brilliant's Fauré Edition currently £14.44 on am uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZCVEPY?keywords=faure%20edition&qid=1439676782&ref_=sr_1_1&s=music&sr=1-1

(Don't seem to be able to insert the Amazon code; wondering if this is the latest little annoyance Windows 10 is inflicting on me.)

Various reviews recommend the contents highly, with the possible exception of Colin Davis's "glacial and soporific" Requiem.

Although not currently in stock.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Jo498

The Solomon icon box is really a disgrace: it has only op.106 of the 5 late sonatas, so one would have to get the older separate set as well. I cannot understand how they messed up some of those boxes...

Edwin Fischer's icon box is even worse in some respects because the stuff not included there (e.g. Schumann's Fantasy) is not available at all, and it would only have been 2-3 more discs more to include all of his recorded legacy.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: Jo498 on August 15, 2015, 11:57:25 PM
The Solomon icon box is really a disgrace: it has only op.106 of the 5 late sonatas, so one would have to get the older separate set as well. I cannot understand how they messed up some of those boxes...

Edwin Fischer's icon box is even worse in some respects because the stuff not included there (e.g. Schumann's Fantasy) is not available at all, and it would only have been 2-3 more discs more to include all of his recorded legacy.

I quite agree.... :(  Is it really so hard to issue Solomon's entire unfinished Beethoven cycle?  ::) Which already have on separate Testament issues BTW....

Q

kishnevi

Question re the Handel Edition.
Has anyone received an estimated shipment date for their order?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2015, 07:05:11 PM

Yes, February 14th, 2017...oh wait that's when the zombie apocalypse is predicted to happen. :-[

Elgarian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2015, 07:05:11 PM

No, Jeffrey, but I see it's still offered, with a clear statement of pre-Order price guarantee.