The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Sheard

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 16, 2015, 07:05:11 PM
Question re the Handel Edition.
Has anyone received an estimated shipment date for their order?

No. This is what my account says:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

I pre-ordered my copy on August 9.
Whoso would be a man must be a non-conformist - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Karl Henning

Quote from: Will Sheard on August 17, 2015, 06:44:51 AM
No. This is what my account says:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

I pre-ordered my copy on August 9.

I'm sure there was huge demand.  I was very nearly tempted, myself  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

albanberg

The Seattle Symphony's recent recording of Ives, Carter & Gershwin on its own label is currently priced at $2.78 at Amazon US (not a MP) seller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXWIHIO

albanberg

Quote from: albanberg on August 17, 2015, 10:28:57 AM
The Seattle Symphony's recent recording of Ives, Carter & Gershwin on its own label is currently priced at $2.78 at Amazon US (not a MP) seller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXWIHIO
Of course that should have been "(not a MP seller)"

mc ukrneal

The Handel edition on Amazon now appears as unavailable. No price or anything - just unavailable.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 19, 2015, 07:15:28 AM
The Handel edition on Amazon now appears as unavailable. No price or anything - just unavailable.

Aha! The plot thickens! The game's afoot! You know my methods, Watson ... etc, etc ...

kishnevi

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 19, 2015, 07:15:28 AM

Amazon UK lists it in stock for £94.99,  with Marketplace sellers starting at £76.65
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0106UFMP6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Jo498

The $20 price tag was an extreme outlier from the beginning. All other sellers asked something > 70 $/EUR/GBP.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

albanberg

Quote from: Jo498 on August 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM
The $20 price tag was an extreme outlier from the beginning. All other sellers asked something > 70 $/EUR/GBP.

FWIW, my Amazon order for the Handel Edition is still live - they have not canceled it as of yet, just haven't given a ship date yet. In fact, it's gone down in price to $19.99. I suspect that they will eventually not only cancel all outstanding orders but delete the item from the site and then create a new page for the item with the correct price. I seem to remember that that's what they did some years ago when they had the complete Dvorak Symphony cycle under Neumann for some absurdly cheap price and then never fulfilled any of the orders. But in any event, that hasn't happened yet with the Handel.

Jo498

In the past I got several times items for prices I suspect were mistakes or at least at the border between a super sale offer and a pricing mistakes. (E.g. two years ago I got the Decca Box with Britten conducting other people's music for less than EUR 20.) But there were also some cases were orders were canceled with an apology that there had been pricing errors.

In the early 2000s there was one occasion later dubbed on rec.music.classical.recordings "the great amazon feeding frenzy" when dozens of EMI box sets were priced like single discs or so (at amazon.de or uk). I am not sure anymore about the details, but I think I got the Barenboim Mozart concerti and the Tennstedt Mahler symphonies during that "error sale". But they realized the pricing error after some time and many orders were cancelled.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: albanberg on August 20, 2015, 04:55:59 AM
I seem to remember that that's what they did some years ago when they had the complete Dvorak Symphony cycle under Neumann for some absurdly cheap price and then never fulfilled any of the orders.

Point of clarification:  That Neumann/Dvořák cycle was indeed priced at $7.99, and mine was only one of many such sets received by GMGers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on August 20, 2015, 05:47:33 AM
Point of clarification:  That Neumann/Dvořák cycle was indeed priced at $7.99, and mine was only one of many such sets received by GMGers.

I got mine, too, practically a freebie. I listened to 2 disks just last weekend in fact, what a bargain!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bigshot

Third party sellers are more likely to cancel than Amazon. I only had one occasion where Amazon changed the listing to make it a single DVD after originally listing it as a box set. I complained and when I showed them my email receipt, they coughed up the box set. But be careful. They can change the picture that shows up in your receipt after the fact. They tried to do that in my case, but I had already screen capped it.

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on August 20, 2015, 05:47:33 AM
Indeed. I got mine. AND I got the digital version free with it!

albanberg

Quote from: Ken B on August 20, 2015, 11:58:37 AM
Indeed. I got mine. AND I got the digital version free with it!

Ah well, maybe I was the only one to have their order canceled.

Will Sheard

Quote from: albanberg on August 20, 2015, 04:55:59 AM
FWIW, my Amazon order for the Handel Edition is still live - they have not canceled it as of yet, just haven't given a ship date yet. In fact, it's gone down in price to $19.99. I suspect that they will eventually not only cancel all outstanding orders but delete the item from the site and then create a new page for the item with the correct price. I seem to remember that that's what they did some years ago when they had the complete Dvorak Symphony cycle under Neumann for some absurdly cheap price and then never fulfilled any of the orders. But in any event, that hasn't happened yet with the Handel.

You'll be relieved/frustrated to learn that that statement about the Neumann is not true. I received my copy for the absurdly low price you are talking about. :-p

Ergo, I still hold out hope for the Handel.

Will Sheard

Quote from: albanberg on August 21, 2015, 07:51:41 AM
Ah well, maybe I was the only one to have their order canceled.

You have to hope that these things come in...ahem...cycles.  ;)

flyingdutchman

I got my Neumann/Dvorak as well at the 7.99 price.  Just had to wait for a little bit for it to come, but still got it.

Mirror Image

I'm not into Handel, but, just out of curiosity, did anyone receive a shipment notification from Amazon about their box set being shipped? It seems to have been released today is currently offered for $80 and up from various MP sellers. Amazon, however, doesn't show a listing or as being in-stock.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 26, 2015, 03:28:19 PM
I'm not into Handel, but, just out of curiosity, did anyone receive a shipment notification from Amazon about their box set being shipped? It seems to have been released today is currently offered for $80 and up from various MP sellers. Amazon, however, doesn't show a listing or as being in-stock.

Nothing so far.

Here,s hoping your date's a Bach fan!  ;)