The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

This is the normal price. The flash sales are always valid only for an hour or two.
Right now there is e.g. the Buchbinder Beethoven sonatas for 21 EUR.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

MyronM

On US Amazon, the 30-CD set "Giuseppe Verdi Great Recordings" can be had for $21.10 from Amazon, or as low as $12.79 (new) from MP sellers. 

[asin]B00BI7EY88[/asin]

André

This is a very, very incomplete compilation (no Requiem, no Otello, Aida, Don Carlo or Falstaff,) but it contains qiete a few performances of the 'middle period' works that ought to be known by the dedicated verdian.

Maybe there will be a second volume ?

king ubu

Quote from: André on December 21, 2015, 10:31:49 AM
This is a very, very incomplete compilation (no Requiem, no Otello, Aida, Don Carlo or Falstaff,) but it contains qiete a few performances of the 'middle period' works that ought to be known by the dedicated verdian.

Maybe there will be a second volume ?

The Requiem is there actually (discs 29 & 30), but I guess other recordings fare better ... it's a nice set though, if only for that "Rigoletto"!

As for "Aida", the full recording of Perlea's is fine and has been released complete by Naxos. Should be fairly easy to get. Not sure about "Falstaff", there would have been one by Bernstein (any good?). "Don Carlo" is indeed the one where I'd have wished for the full version to be included ... it was released by Sony in its cheapo series "The Sony Opera House" but seems to be OOP by now. Guess I'll have to get it as long as I can ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

kishnevi

Quote from: The new erato on December 21, 2015, 06:15:44 AM
You're a cruel one Harry. I'm not very interested in the organ (I have a couple of Bach sets), but cannot resist a cheap set.

Given the quality of that set---helped by having things arranged sort of chronologically, and divided up among different performers--€39 is cheap.

Jo498

EUR 39 is certainly a fair price for 20 discs but 19 is a steal (and I could not resist, also because I did not have a complete Bach organ set at all, only about two dozen mixed discs.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

Humpf ... I resisted so far ... not too many days left I reckon (will this end on 24th? how was that last year?), so far the set does not turn up again in the list of items to be part of the sale.

And just in case, I think the Argerich box (for 50€) was sold to 100% within minutes, each time it appeared (at least three times) - so that must be the best-selling item in these sales.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Jo498

The Haenssler Organ/Bach was the only thing I bought. (I only read a few days ago in another forum that in the super sales around Thanksgiving they had the Sennheiser HD 598 for EUR 99 (instead of ca. 180) and I probably would have tried my luck on that one had I seen the offer...)

I already had most of the Argerich I wanted and as I said before, overall I have been avoiding big boxes for some time because I tend not to listen to them. I expect this to be different with the Bach because 20 discs is not as overwhelming as 40+ and I am not overly familiar with most of the music.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

The Heifetz is now at 100%, too - love that one! Didn't get the Argerich, I'm not too big on her so far and have enough for the moment (I guess around 15 discs, spread in various label or composer based boxes, big and small, and a five disc/albums set by EMI on top of that)

Anyway, I guess not having that Bach set will be just as fine, in the end  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

The new erato

Quote from: king ubu on December 22, 2015, 01:44:47 AM
The Heifetz is now at 100%, too - love that one! Didn't get the Argerich, I'm not too big on her so far and have enough for the moment (I guess around 15 discs, spread in various label or composer based boxes, big and small, and a five disc/albums set by EMI on top of that)

Anyway, I guess not having that Bach set will be just as fine, in the end  :)
I already have two sets - Walcha and Fagius - I haven't listened to.  ::)

king ubu

Quote from: The new erato on December 22, 2015, 02:18:15 AM
I already have two sets - Walcha and Fagius - I haven't listened to.  ::)

Yeah, same here (Weinberger and Foccroulle) - that's why I said it's okay not to get it ... but if it makes a return I'll be most tempted!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Harry

Quote from: king ubu on December 22, 2015, 02:44:18 AM
Yeah, same here (Weinberger and Foccroulle) - that's why I said it's okay not to get it ... but if it makes a return I'll be most tempted!

I will keep you informed, sure I will, afterall its only 18,56, only.................................. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on December 22, 2015, 02:48:50 AM
I will keep you informed, sure I will, afterall its only 18,56, only.................................. :laugh:

Just received the confirmation of dispatch. 18,56 including shipping, a steal! :) Thanks again for the heads up.

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 22, 2015, 03:20:25 AM
Just received the confirmation of dispatch. 18,56 including shipping, a steal! :) Thanks again for the heads up.

Q

Hmmm, I am still waiting on the dispatch date:)

king ubu

No need to worry, I think - they sometimes take a day or two longer during these sales it seems (but then for me, delivery was extremely fast, one of the Strauss boxes was shipped Dec. 17 and arrived yesterday!

Anyway, thanks, but I've been watching the sales offers daily (or hourly, rather  :laugh:), so I'll notice if the Bach returns!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

bogdan101

Happy New Year, folks!

Time to bump this thread: the DHM box is on amazon uk for under 35 quid shipped to Canada.

king ubu

... an aFR is running a huge sale ... little use in linking items as most seem to be last copies (sometimes 2-4 copies available) ... snatched up amongst other things half a dozen of the CPE Bach series by Spanyi, some Duphly, a Schubert disc by Reto Bieri and many other goodies  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

The new erato

Quote from: king ubu on January 08, 2016, 04:02:38 AM
... an aFR is running a huge sale ... little use in linking items as most seem to be last copies (sometimes 2-4 copies available) ... snatched up amongst other things half a dozen of the CPE Bach series by Spanyi, some Duphly, a Schubert disc by Reto Bieri and many other goodies  :)
So did I. Various Aho, Skalkottas, Sæverud and Nystrøm on BIS as well as some MDG and Carus for me.

Que

aFR??  ??? Sorry lads, but that ancient Egyptian to me...

But I love to know.... ;D

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on January 08, 2016, 10:38:21 AM
aFR??  ??? Sorry lads, but that ancient Egyptian to me...

But I love to know.... ;D

Q

I join in this Ancient Egypte labyrinth. I was flabbergasted too.