The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread

Started by Mark, November 13, 2007, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 29, 2016, 07:55:38 AM
And I am sorry about your wallet, I truly am.
Don't worry at all  :). My wallet is old enough to make its own decisions  ;) (and anyway, the most expensive item in my purchase was the used Swarowsky Don Giovanni, and you had nothing at all to do with that  ;D ).

kishnevi

Quote from: Harry's corner on May 29, 2016, 07:55:38 AM
I am glad I could be of some service ;D
And I am sorry about your wallet, I truly am.
My list of BIS recordings was short, just 6 titles, the rest I either had or was not interested in.

I am surprised you don't like Skalkottas: he seems to have managed combining atonal and tonal rather well.

Jo498

Quote from: Que on May 29, 2016, 05:22:47 AM
Some items I might get.....Though probably not the CPE Bach items, however tempting, because I think this signals (finally) a reissue by BIS in box sets...
Something several of us have been waiting for. Those still are not going to be cheap, but I want them! ???

I like CPE but I am pretty sure I would not get a box with 20 discs of his keyboard concerti and/or 30 of the solo keyboard stuff because I'd probably only listen to a fraction of that and even such a box would probably around 5 EUR/disc. So I will probably get a few of the ones on sale now.

Anyone familiar with the Gade symphonies? both 3+4 and 5+6 are included in the sale...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kishnevi

Re:Gade
I have the full set, and would recommend it.  Only subpar recording is the Crusaders, an oratorio, and that is mostly the fault of the tenor .

It is roughly €30 on Amazon DE marketplace at the moment.

[asin]B0034YLW88[/asin]
But if you are sure you don't want the full set, go for the two CDs on sale.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 29, 2016, 12:58:33 PM

I am surprised you don't like Skalkottas: he seems to have managed combining atonal and tonal rather well.

I think Frank Martin did it better IMHO and then there's Dallapiccola who is one of the most lyrical 12-tone composers I know (outside of Berg).

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 29, 2016, 01:45:55 PM
I think Frank Martin did it better IMHO and then there's Dallapiccola who is one of the most lyrical 12-tone composers I know (outside of Berg).

Have heard not much of either, but what I have heard appeals to me less than Skalkottas.

The new erato

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 29, 2016, 01:58:14 PM
Have heard not much of either, but what I have heard appeals to me less than Skalkottas.
I have 5 or 6 of the Skalkottas disc, but aside from the Greek Dances never have managed to break into the music. Frank Martin OTOH I absolutely love. But that is neither here nor there; we all like different stiff, just an observation.

hafod

Some of this could prove heavy on the wallet unless of course the curse of duplication comes to the rescue.
https://www.jpc.de/s/Box-Sets+um+50%25+reduziert%21?searchtype=campaigntext

aligreto

Quote from: hafod on June 01, 2016, 11:23:07 PM
Some of this could prove heavy on the wallet unless of course the curse of duplication comes to the rescue.
https://www.jpc.de/s/Box-Sets+um+50%25+reduziert%21?searchtype=campaigntext

Thank you for posting that.
I would have taken the Kraus Symphonies but I have individual CDs.
I would have also taken the Concerto Koln Edition but I already have that and it is a bargain at the price. Recommended.

king ubu

Okay ... got weak, ordered the Solti, Kraus (I'll blame you, aligreto, if I don't like it  ;D), the Concerto Köln sets ... as well as all of BIS CPE Bach discs on sale (hey, all five vols of sonatas fit with the six or seven I already have, and then these are the first three concerto vols), as well as one each by Gubaidulina and Berio.

Thanks guys!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Jo498

The concerto Köln set is very good. I probably prefer their two Kraus discs (on Capriccio, not included in the Teldec/Das Alte Werk set) to the Naxos, but the Naxos is more complete. Of the Mozart/Haydn contemporaries I have heard, Kraus is probably the most original, with a fairly distinctive style, somewhat as if Gluck had written symphonies.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Quote from: king ubu on June 03, 2016, 11:31:09 PM
Okay ... got weak, ordered the Solti, Kraus (I'll blame you, aligreto, if I don't like it  ;D), the Concerto Köln sets ... as well as all of BIS CPE Bach discs (hey, all five vols of sonatas fit with the six or seven I already have, and then these are the first three concerto vols), as well as one each by Gubaidulina and Berio.

Thanks guys!

I tremble in anticipation and with the weight of responsibility  ;D

PerfectWagnerite

Wow over 2 weeks no one has posted on this thread...must be a record.

Not sure whether these qualify as SDCB but they are so good I think they deserve a spot:

I bought these as they were coming out one by one and they are each gloriously played and recorded, much better than the rather perfunctory run-through by Dutoit. Not a big name conductor with a big name orchestra but an amazing set

I bought this to get Solti's LPO Les Preludes (a brassy, brawny recording) but everything else on this is top-notch as well. Normally I stay away from these "beginner's" collections but this one deserves a look.

Brian

Not to dance on the grave, but:

All UK retailers for US buyers

e.g. MDT now has BIS CDs on sale for US $11 and Alia Vox for under $10. I'm seeing Hyperion for $12 new in several places.

MDT has all Helios CDs for $5.47.

Ken B

$94 shipped to the states from Azon uk

[asin]B01DB7DV9A[/asin]

Brian

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2016, 04:56:03 AM
Not to dance on the grave, but:

All UK retailers for US buyers

e.g. MDT now has BIS CDs on sale for US $11 and Alia Vox for under $10. I'm seeing Hyperion for $12 new in several places.

MDT has all Helios CDs for $5.47.
Might wanna watch those currency charts! MDT now has all Helios CDs for $5.31. Over the weekend, Exton CDs dropped from already-low $14.10 to $13.85...

Karl Henning

At $38, this qualifies as a SDCB:

[asin]B00159679S[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: karlhenning on June 30, 2016, 10:05:05 AM
At $38, this qualifies as a SDCB:

[asin]B00159679S[/asin]
A steal !
Back in 1996 i paid 90 bucks for the Boehm Ring and that was considered a bargain. If you are wondering the Solti/Levine Rings were $225 and Janowski a tad less...

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/