Cyril Rootham (1875-1938)

Started by vandermolen, December 13, 2007, 11:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: DanielR on May 11, 2019, 01:18:36 AM
I have quite a story to tell... After several years of laborious research and typesetting work by Alistair Jones, a forgotten work by Cyril Rootham is about to be revealed.

At the Charles Kingsley 200 Festival in Eversley (Hampshire), Rootham's dramatic cantata "Andromeda" Op.18 will receive two evening performances on 14th and 15th June 2019.  You can read the full story on the website of the production company (Cantata Dramatica):
http://www.cantatadramatica.com/andromeda

I have just heard that these performances will receive Arts Council funding, which is vindication of our long struggle to get this 65-minute work back into the repertoire. Composed in 1905, "Andromeda" has not been performed since its premiere at the Bristol Music Festival in 1908 - welcome back!

For those who would like to hear and see this work performed live at the Festival, here is their box office link:
https://ck200.live/viewevent/andromeda-outdoor-opera-spectacular-world-premiere
Great news Dan! Thanks for letting us know and I hope that there is a recording in due course.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DanielR

...I hope there is a recording in due course.

It's a small step, but here is the vocal score recording of Andromeda Op.18 made on 2nd March 2019:

And yes, it would have been a good idea to tune the Bechstein before the recording session... but pianist Raya Kostova gave a wonderful performance - the original piano reduction is almost unplayable in places.  Quintin Beer conducted with great sensitivity and really brought the work to life. My thanks to all those who helped to make this recording!

We are in the very early stages of planning a recording with full chorus and symphony orchestra, but that depends on funding and will take a few years.

vandermolen

Quote from: DanielR on May 14, 2019, 11:59:39 PM
It's a small step, but here is the vocal score recording of Andromeda Op.18 made on 2nd March 2019:

And yes, it would have been a good idea to tune the Bechstein before the recording session... but pianist Raya Kostova gave a wonderful performance - the original piano reduction is almost unplayable in places.  Quintin Beer conducted with great sensitivity and really brought the work to life. My thanks to all those who helped to make this recording!

We are in the very early stages of planning a recording with full chorus and symphony orchestra, but that depends on funding and will take a few years.

It sounds like an excellent work Dan - recorded in my youthful home territory of Earl's Court! I hope for a recording with symphony orchestra and chorus one day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I don't think that I ever mentioned that Rootham's marvellous (IMO) 1st Symphony featured in the Lyrita box set of British symphonies - a great choice! I'm listening to it now. For those unfamiliar with Rootham's music, the First Symphony is a most approachable, warm-hearted and inspiriting work. I am very pleased that Rootham's grandson Daniel ('DanielR') contributed to this thread:

DanielR

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2021, 07:14:50 AM
I don't think that I ever mentioned that Rootham's marvellous (IMO) 1st Symphony featured in the Lyrita box set of British symphonies - a great choice! I'm listening to it now. For those unfamiliar with Rootham's music, the First Symphony is a most approachable, warm-hearted and inspiriting work. I am very pleased that Rootham's grandson Daniel ('DanielR') contributed to this thread

Strangely Rootham's Symphony No.1 has never yet been typeset, so that is my next "big target".  I have been involved in a previous OpenScore project, where we typeset Bruckner's Symphony No.5 with a small team of volunteers.  So I know that such a task is feasible.  At this point I have completed the empty "template" score for the first movement only.

As usual: watch this space!

vandermolen

Quote from: DanielR on June 27, 2021, 01:11:49 AM
Strangely Rootham's Symphony No.1 has never yet been typeset, to that is my next "big target".  I have been involved in a previous OpenScore project, where we typeset Bruckner's Symphony No.5 with a small team of volunteers.  So I know that such a task is feasible.  At this point I have completed the empty "template" score for the first movement only.

As usual: watch this space!
Interesting news - thank you Dan.

Big David

After reading this thread, I was motivated to listen to the Moeran cello concerto and the Rootham 1st symphony.  Both quite splendid!  Thanks very much.

vandermolen

Quote from: Big David on June 27, 2021, 09:16:52 AM
After reading this thread, I was motivated to listen to the Moeran cello concerto and the Rootham 1st symphony.  Both quite splendid!  Thanks very much.
A nice programme! Two great works.

vandermolen

I've been thoroughly enjoying this CD again. I like every work but 'City on the West' (Bristol - where Rootham was born) is the highlight for me. Rootham was a fine and underrated composer (both symphonies are excellent in their different ways). It's a pity that the booklet does not contain the poem 'City in the West' written by Rootham's son Jasper (the father of 'DanielR'of this forum I think):

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 30, 2024, 02:49:59 AMI've been thoroughly enjoying this CD again. I like every work but 'City on the West' (Bristol - where Rootham was born) is the highlight for me. Rootham was a fine and underrated composer (both symphonies are excellent in their different ways). It's a pity that the booklet does not contain the poem 'City in the West' written by Rootham's son Jasper (the father of 'DanielR'of this forum I think):

I happened to just listen to this on Sunday.  Very nice symphony and cantata!

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 30, 2024, 05:39:44 AMI happened to just listen to this on Sunday.  Very nice symphony and cantata!

The end of the Symphony, dictated to his student Patrick Hadley by the dying Rootham, is incredibly moving.