Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

That is the set! That is the set! ;D

Bogey

Quote from: Gabriel on July 10, 2007, 02:23:49 PM
His Haydn recordings are very good, as well as the Hummel masses he's also recording in Chandos/Chaconne. In fact, I saw a couple of months ago a box with all his Haydn masses, in a very convenient price; but as I had bought some of the recordings before, I left the box on the shelf. It's a great opportunity to be considered by those who want to explore these works.

Those are "beauties" as well.  I have all three cds on my wish-list.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Gabriel on July 10, 2007, 02:33:16 PM
That is the set! That is the set! ;D

NO, Bruno Weil's is THE Haydn masses set! ;D

Q

Gabriel

I have a couple of CDs from that set, and they are excellent indeed; as well as the only CD I have of his symphonies (n. 45, 46 and 47), which makes me think it would be extraordinary if he recorded the complete symphonies.

Que

Need some advice on these - go or no go?  8)

Thanks! :)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on July 14, 2007, 10:01:11 AM

Q

I am awfully partial to them, Q. In fact I played the blue one this AM. OTOH, I don't have a lot to compare them to, but the playing is very good, and the recorded sound is too, hard to see how you could go wrong (as long as you like baryton trios  ;)  )

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 14, 2007, 12:14:00 PM
I am awfully partial to them, Q. In fact I played the blue one this AM. OTOH, I don't have a lot to compare them to, but the playing is very good, and the recorded sound is too, hard to see how you could go wrong (as long as you like baryton trios  ;)  )

8)

Thanks Gurn.  :)
I loved the baryton octets on Ricercar. so I think these trios will suit me fine.

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on July 14, 2007, 12:33:59 PM
I loved the baryton octets on Ricercar. so I think these trios will suit me fine.

Q

So do I, I just didn't want to be too forward... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Que on July 14, 2007, 10:01:11 AM

Q

I have the first one Que...excellent stuff.  Dave (Sonic) has both I believe and loves them.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 10, 2007, 02:15:35 PM

I like Hickox though, so I'll see what I can find.

8)

I wonder if 71 dB also likes him, as he is listed, or at least was, as President of the Elgar Society.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 14, 2007, 12:33:59 PM

Q, as Bill indicated in a related post, I also like Gurn own both volumes of the Baryton Trios w/ Hsu on the ASV label - I would concur w/ the positive comments; Hsu knows this repertoire quite well & wrote the program notes on both CDs.

I also have the 2-CD set of the Baryton Octets w/ Ricercar Consort - excellent; the only other Haydn baryton disc that I own is on the Hungaroton label w/ Kakuk - has 4 trios, two of which overlap the Hsu set.

I'd love to obtain some more of these recordings (Haydn wrote so many!), but the few other discs that I have seen online are OOP, so look forward to any recommendations - Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Dave,
I also have this one:

The Haydn Baryton Trio also features Hsu, but I think the other players are different. Also, Amazon Marketplace want $79.99 for it... ::)

There is also this one:

which I didn't get because it overlaps 2 or 3 pieces. Might be worthwhile, it isn't unduly expensive (it's on cpo)...

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 16, 2007, 02:12:50 PM
Dave,
I also have this one:

The Haydn Baryton Trio also features Hsu, but I think the other players are different. Also, Amazon Marketplace want $79.99 for it... ::)

Gurn - good evening!  :)  Yes, I was goin' to post those two images I reduced in size above, but both seem to be OOP or outrageously expensive, as you've indicated (hate to have seen that Dorian label disappear!) - several months ago, I was on this website International Baryton Society just out of curiosity - even sent some e-mails - i.e. I was interested in BUYING a baryton for Susan (and to be placed in our living room w/ the rest of her instruments; she might have tried to even play it!  But, could I find a teacher here?  ;) :D) - did not get very far!  >:(

But, I love this instrument & hope to see some more recordings appear?  ::) ;D   Dave -  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on July 16, 2007, 03:52:51 PM
Gurn - good evening!  :)  Yes, I was goin' to post those two images I reduced in size above, but both seem to be OOP or outrageously expensive, as you've indicated (hate to have seen that Dorian label disappear!) - several months ago, I was on this website International Baryton Society just out of curiosity - even sent some e-mails - i.e. I was interested in BUYING a baryton for Susan (and to be placed in our living room w/ the rest of her instruments; she might have tried to even play it!  But, could I find a teacher here?  ;) :D) - did not get very far!  >:(

But, I love this instrument & hope to see some more recordings appear?  ::) ;D   Dave -  8)

The Dorian is indeed OOP, but the CPO isn't. Amazon have it new for $16.99, and used for $10.99. I might pick up a used one anyway, just to hear what the players are like, and if their recording has a nice balance to it (sometimes I have trouble hearing the baryton part, probably my system, but maybe not...).

Wow! Buying a baryton seems like an expensive proposition, although it would make a fantastic ornament for the living room. Maybe we should wean M away from the Baß and over to a rarer instrument. I know that I wouldn't ever master it... :-\

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 16, 2007, 04:19:51 PM
.....Wow! Buying a baryton seems like an expensive proposition, although it would make a fantastic ornament for the living room. Maybe we should wean M away from the Baß and over to a rarer instrument. I know that I wouldn't ever master it... :-\
Yeh - I was serious, and even followed some links & some further e-mails - would be a VERY expensive proposition, i.e. find an 'older' one (not cheap), have one built from scatch (not cheap), or buy a kit (unavailable -  :() - I built Susan a 'hammered dulcimer' which she has not been playing yet!  I would love to buy her a nice one (there are so many made locally here which are just beautiful!); but couldn't you see a baryton in the corner of our living room below along w/ the rest of the instruments, including a couple of 'hand-made' Irish harps -  ;) :D   Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on July 16, 2007, 04:40:43 PM
Yeh - I was serious, and even followed some links & some further e-mails - would be a VERY expensive proposition, i.e. find an 'older' one (not cheap), have one built from scatch (not cheap), or buy a kit (unavailable -  :() - I built Susan a 'hammered dulcimer' which she has not been playing yet!  I would love to buy her a nice one (there are so many made locally here which are just beautiful!); but couldn't you see a baryton in the corner of our living room below along w/ the rest of the instruments, including a couple of 'hand-made' Irish harps -  ;) :D   Dave

You know, it's never to late to learn to be a luthier. You already have most of the woodworking skills.  ;)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 16, 2007, 04:50:16 PM
You know, it's never to late to learn to be a luthier. You already have most of the woodworking skills.  ;)
8)

Yes, the idea is appealing, esp. where I live, but hey as a radiologist even working 'part time' I could make much more $$, and teaching 'cute' female residents is much more appealing to an 'aging male' -  ;) ;D

But, that larger harp was made in the '80s by Chris Caswell - for those interested, check his WebSite - completely 'hand-made' and just a work of art; plus, Susan does play that instrument beautifully and sings along - think we paid about $800 at the time - he works out of California; not sure what his current prices are for this harp but probably 2-3X; I've exchanged a number of e-mails w/ him concerning construction of these harps - much is 'handwork' which is not my current woodworking forte (I'm into machines more & right angles) - but you must admit that these do look beautiful!

Dave -  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on July 16, 2007, 05:05:56 PM
Yes, the idea is appealing, esp. where I live, but hey as a radiologist even working 'part time' I could make much more $$, and teaching 'cute' female residents is much more appealing to an 'aging male' -  ;) ;D

But, that larger harp was made in the '80s by Chris Caswell - for those interested, check his WebSite - completely 'hand-made' and just a work of art; plus, Susan does play that instrument beautifully and sings along - think we paid about $800 at the time - he works out of California; not sure what his current prices are for this harp but probably 2-3X; I've exchanged a number of e-mails w/ him concerning construction of these harps - much is 'handwork' which is not my current woodworking forte (I'm into machines more & right angles) - but you must admit that these do look beautiful!

Dave -  ;D

Hell yes, they're beautiful!

Of course, there comes a time in life when making more $$$ (and even cute coeds) become less important than following the dream... ;)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 16, 2007, 05:25:36 PM
Of course, there comes a time in life when making more $$$ (and even cute coeds) become less important than following the dream... ;)

Gurn - you're right, as an 'academic' radiologist the money is more like $ (vs. $$$), so the attraction is the 'teaching' which I still enjoy & being w/ 'young' people (kind of keeps you alive!) - they are interesting & intelligent - but I'll need to make a decision in the next 2-3 years - either way I'll enjoy continuing to teach or I'll enjoy quiting & pursuing my hobbies & travels w/ Susan, just tough to decide 'when' to make that transition!   ::)  But, stilling having fun - Dave  ;D

Que

I found another, new recording of Haydn Bayton trios.
Seems that Philippe Pierlot, leader of the Ricercar Consort, has started his own CD label called "Flora".

Link & sample

Trios for baryton, viola and cello nr. 096 Hob. XI:096;  no. 66 ; nr. 70 ; no. 97 Hob. XI:097 : per la feliccissima nascita di S.A1.S. Prencipe Estorhazi; no. 101 Hob. XI:101
Philippe Pierlot/ François Fernandez/ Rainer Zipperling

Sounds good! :)

Q