Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 27, 2017, 07:10:45 PM
Certainly. But they have a different approach than any of those others, to my ears it is a very joyful sort of playing, not like you are at a big life-or-death recital. IMO, Haydn would approve. :)

8)

Very cool. Your comments earlier about how the Fetestics play on a smaller scale, for themselves than a "performance," much like Haydn did until the later works, was a big reason why I got the set.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

North Star

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 27, 2017, 04:56:06 PM
Great, that can only be a good thing. I'm guessing it will be the Op 54/55 pair if they stick to form.  :)

8)
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/v/ZkSwBL23dso
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: North Star on January 27, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/v/ZkSwBL23dso

Nice. Interesting tempo choices; they put a little zip on that fastball (for you, Brian :D ). I'm looking forward to it, for sure.

The front page of the score, the Longman & Broderip version (from a different copy than the Artaria one) is the same one that James Boyd (the viola player) sent me a copy of that I used in my essay about these works. They had a tangled history!

Thanks for posting that, I would have never found it. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2017, 06:06:00 AM
21 CD's of any genre is a pretty good chunk. I am curious if anyone, even those who have got the set, has listened to the entire thing

Alas only once. But in fact I had listened only once to all these completes trios, sonatas, symphonies, masses. Well I try sometimes to go again through all the quartets or symphonies. So I begin with op. 1, and the very first of these divertimenti is so unbelivably beutiful that I must listen to it for entire three days and then I must listen to something I never heard and must leave Haydn. So other time i decide "no early divertimenti" and begin with op. 9, and the very first quartet is so unbelivably rich that I must listen to it for three days... I had only one chance to listen to the all this entire boxes, when they were absolutely new and I had no choice - as listen to not listened yet was always the first principle of my life.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on January 29, 2017, 12:18:37 PM
Alas only once. But in fact I had listened only once to all these completes trios, sonatas, symphonies, masses. Well I try sometimes to go again through all the quartets or symphonies. So I begin with op. 1, and the very first of these divertimenti is so unbelivably beutiful that I must listen to it for entire three days and then I must listen to something I never heard and must leave Haydn. So other time i decide "no early divertimenti" and begin with op. 9, and the very first quartet is so unbelivably rich that I must listen to it for three days... I had only one chance to listen to the all this entire boxes, when they were absolutely new and I had no choice - as listen to not listened yet was always the first principle of my life.

Ha, you need will power to stay the course!  :D  Well, I have been down this road you are on, the first time I listened to all those works I played each disks several times, because it was worth it. I don't always do that, but I got into the early Haydn music and there was no avoiding it. Even now, I often play a disk twice whenever I play it at all.  Just in case I missed something.  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

21 CD's of any genre is a pretty good chunk. I am curious if anyone, even those who have got the set, has listened to the entire thing (except me, of course). It is uniformly good, but occasionally great. I can't think how he managed to keep his own interest level up across such a span of works.

I listened to a fair amount, but not the whole thing. I feel myself ashamed now.

I can't think how he managed to keep his own interest level up across such a span of works. Did he ever discuss with Weigl, his cellist for these works, or even with the Prince "what next, lads?". They are no oeuvre to match the string quartets, or the symphonies for that matter, but so few other things are... :)

My boss used to say: "a man in need thinks a lot more than 10 scholars" (in Spanish: "un necesitado piensa más que diez letrados").  ;D :D ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on January 29, 2017, 04:26:59 PM
I listened to a fair amount, but not the whole thing. I feel myself ashamed now.

Now, now, nothing to be ashamed of. It just means you have a life... :D  :D  It is funny though how you can be listening to a large piece of them (I divided mine up into 24, like the original books were) and suddenly a movement will come along that is not just good listening, but will really catch your ear as great music! I tried to point a few of those places out in my essays, but I didn't catch myself to write them all down at the time. Guess I will have to do them again, with a pen and paper this time. 0:)

QuoteMy boss used to say: "a man in need thinks a lot more than 10 scholars" (in Spanish: "un necesitado piensa más que diez letrados").  ;D :D ;D

:)  yes, funny things what semi-desperation will do. "Haydn, I must have more gamba trios..."

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 29, 2017, 04:36:31 PM
Now, now, nothing to be ashamed of. It just means you have a life... :D  :D  It is funny though how you can be listening to a large piece of them (I divided mine up into 24, like the original books were) and suddenly a movement will come along that is not just good listening, but will really catch your ear as great music! I tried to point a few of those places out in my essays, but I didn't catch myself to write them all down at the time. Guess I will have to do them again, with a pen and paper this time. 0:)

Yes, time it's a factor even regarding things I love as much as Haydn music. Indeed, the completion of those highlights would be a fantastic contribution to our collaborative intelligence.  :)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 29, 2017, 04:36:31 PM
:)  yes, funny things what semi-desperation will do. "Haydn, I must have more gamba trios..."

Yes, almost the complete opposite of the romantic image about artists as misunderstood human beings...
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on January 29, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
Yes, time it's a factor even regarding things I love as much as Haydn music. Indeed, the completion of those highlights would be a fantastic contribution to our collaborative intelligence.  :)

Well, it won't be a lack of desire which makes it take some time, only a lack of time. But since I often listen to a 'Book' of them, it will need only to begin making some notes. I am learning how to do that, finally. I have too much information stored in my tiny brain, and so there seems to be little room for more. Notes are the answer! :)

QuoteYes, almost the complete opposite of the romantic image about artists as misunderstood human beings...

Oh, the poor tortured artist! :'(  So sad they are... they would have been shitting their pants if told to write a new symphony in time for the big dance tomorrow night. Only 4 symphonies was a bad year for Haydn. :D

8)

kishnevi

21 CD's of any genre is a pretty good chunk. I am curious if anyone, even those who have got the set, has listened to the entire thing (except me, of course). It is uniformly good, but occasionally great. I can't think how he managed to keep his own interest level up across such a span of works. Did he ever discuss with Weigl, his cellist for these works, or even with the Prince "what next, lads?". They are no oeuvre to match the string quartets, or the symphonies for that matter, but so few other things are... :)

8)

Don't forget that (sticking to Haydn) the symphonies take up 33 or more CDs, and the string quartets take up 22 or more CDs. So the baryton works are merely the third biggest category of Haydn's works.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 29, 2017, 07:04:38 PM
Don't forget that (sticking to Haydn) the symphonies take up 33 or more CDs, and the string quartets take up 22 or more CDs. So the baryton works are merely the third biggest category of Haydn's works.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 11, 2017, 11:13:22 AM
Not just the quartets; 22 disks worth of them, another 33 of symphonies, 20 of operas, 9 of keyboard trios, 6 of string trios, a dozen or so of divertimentos, another dozen of keyboard sonatas, 21 baryton trios, songs, masses, oratorios...    8+ years and I am still just scratching the surface!   :D 

Oh, you missed my first post in that conversation where I went down just that same road. It is truly a formidable chunk of music!!  :)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Gurn - Do you refer to Haydn as Joseph Haydn or Franz Joseph Haydn?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on February 06, 2017, 02:27:13 PM
Gurn - Do you refer to Haydn as Joseph Haydn or Franz Joseph Haydn?

Joseph. There is no record that he (or 99% of other Austrians in the 18th century) ever used their front name. He called himself Joseph, Josephus, and Giuseppe. All of those work for me. :)

8)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 06, 2017, 03:31:07 PM
Joseph. There is no record that he (or 99% of other Austrians in the 18th century) ever used their front name. He called himself Joseph, Josephus, and Giuseppe. All of those work for me. :)

8)

Thanks!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 06, 2017, 03:31:07 PM
Joseph. There is no record that he (or 99% of other Austrians in the 18th century) ever used their front name.

The younger chap was christened Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, for ready corroboration  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

And he usually signed "Wolfgang Amadé Mozart" which is not even exactly identical to the two names used...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on February 07, 2017, 10:26:18 AM
And he usually signed "Wolfgang Amadé Mozart" which is not even exactly identical to the two names used...

Yes, usually Amadé. Sometimes Amadè. Occasionally Amade. But only once, on his wedding license, IIRC, Amadeus. So yet another misleading thing about Amadeus. Of course, it is the same word as Theophilus, just Latin instead of Greek. 

Haydn signed all of his music 'giuseppe Haydn'. He signed a lot of his letters 'Josephus', some of them just 'Joseph'. I think it varies depending on if it was business or a friend, but hard to see a general trend.

8)

Karl Henning

Celebrating Presidents Day by (at last) converting the 33-CD DRD symphonies cube to soft copy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

There is a hysterical typo (in the form of a trivial mistranslation, which was not caught by whatever editorial process employed, if any) in the first paragraph of liner notes to the DRD complete symphonies cube:

On p. 17:

Nearly four years separate the first symphony written by the 25-year-old Haydn as Kapellmeister to Count Morzin in the Czech provinces from his last contribution to the genre, which had its first performance in 1795 in a wildly-acclaimed concert given in the metropolis of London.

Original by Andreas Friesenhagen (Andreas had written vierzig, of course), translated by Clive Williams, Hamburg.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA