Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: North Star on March 16, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
For what it's worth, I like the Endellion's Beethoven cycle very much.

Me too! I had them on my cull list and after trying the set one more time, I found room for it on the shelf.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on March 16, 2017, 09:30:34 AM
Me too! I had them on my cull list and after trying the set one more time, I found room for it on the shelf.

A success story!  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2017, 09:34:15 AM
A success story!  :)

To get another 100 feet of shelf space would be an even bigger success.  $:)

Karl Henning

The stuff that dreams are made of!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

I was amazed by the numbers of 'Benefit Concert' notices I was seeing in 1795 London, so I thought to take a look at them. Of course, can't do that without John Lennon... :D

This seems to be where the real money was. The Hendersons were all there too...

Thanks,
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Daverz

Quote from: George on March 16, 2017, 09:30:34 AM

Me, three, for the Endellion.  But I also made a needle drop of the Juilliard.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: North Star on March 16, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
For what it's worth, I like the Endellion's Beethoven cycle very much.
I agree. But it was the Haydn, which I got first, which made me comfortable enough to get the Beethoven. So it's Gurn's (and his thread's) fault!  :D :-* Because everything Haydn related is Gurn's fault!  :P
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 19, 2017, 07:53:14 PM
I agree. But it was the Haydn, which I got first, which made me comfortable enough to get the Beethoven. So it's Gurn's (and his thread's) fault!  :D :-* Because everything Haydn related is Gurn's fault!  :P

:)  FWIW, I am quite happy with the Endellion's Op 54. I haven't heard them in anything else, but can't imagine they would be less than very good. :) 

I guess that carrying the load for Haydn is a lot easier and more desirable than it could be for some other composer, so I'll shoulder my burden and trudge along. :D  :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 19, 2017, 07:53:14 PM

That's fair 0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: Daverz on March 19, 2017, 07:22:06 PM
Me, three, for the Endellion.  But I also made a needle drop of the Juilliard.

The 1964-1970 set?

Daverz

Quote from: George on March 20, 2017, 10:05:55 AM
The 1964-1970 set?

Did the Juilliard record Op. 54 more than once?  I have it on Epic and the blue cover CBS Lp posted earlier (my copy seems to be a Mexican CBS pressing).

Here's som fun for y'all, a ranking of the 104 symphonies by "some guy":

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/haydn/guides/definitive-ranking-haydn-symphonies/

Jo498

I think there is only one Juilliard recording of op.54; as I only have an mp3 or FLAC someone else made from an LP I don't know details.

The guy with the symphonies should maybe have taken a little more time to listen more thoroughly then results would not have been as ridiculous (although one has to admit that they are quite unpredictable: Nr.85 among the weakest 25?!)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: Daverz on March 20, 2017, 06:16:30 PM
Did the Juilliard record Op. 54 more than once? 

Sorry, I thought you meant Juilliard's Beethoven QTs.

Karl Henning

Happy Birthday to The Man!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2017, 04:23:46 AM

285 is a modest number of years (compared to Aristotle anyway). :D

8)

Karl Henning

He wears them graciously  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 31, 2017, 04:23:46 AM

So Haydn was an Aries. That makes sense.

QuoteAries Traits: Enterprising, Incisive, Spontaneous, Daring, Active, Courageous and Energetic, the Aries are the proverbial infants, guileless and optimistic to the fault.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Daverz on March 20, 2017, 06:16:30 PM
Here's som fun for y'all, a ranking of the 104 symphonies by "some guy":

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/haydn/guides/definitive-ranking-haydn-symphonies/

Thanks for the link, Dave. Although I disagree with many of his rankings (the Hen, Oxford and Farewell are absurdly underrated), his comments are intriguing and make me want to re-hear some of the symphonies.

Quote from: Jo498 on March 21, 2017, 02:29:37 AM
(although one has to admit that they are quite unpredictable: Nr.85 among the weakest 25?!)

That's another one I disagree completely with the list-making critic. 85 is one of my Top 30.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2017, 12:00:51 PM
Thanks for the link, Dave. Although I disagree with many of his his rankings, his comments are intriguing and make me want to re-hear some of the symphonies.

That's one I disagree completely with critic. 85 is one of my Top 30.

Sarge

The whole concept of there being a definitive way to 'rank' Haydn's symphonies is batshit crazy, so I have to admit that I refused to read the article. I'm listening to the Finale: Presto of #29 in E Major right now, and this movement alone puts it into the Top Whatever (yes, 106). I can hardly pick the top Paris or London symphony, and I venture I have heard the entire cycle more often than he has heard any one of them. Just sayin'... :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 31, 2017, 12:07:21 PM
The whole concept of there being a definitive way to 'rank' Haydn's symphonies is batshit crazy, so I have to admit that I refused to read the article. I'm listening to the Finale: Presto of #29 in E Major right now, and this movement alone puts it into the Top Whatever (yes, 106). I can hardly pick the top Paris or London symphony, and I venture I have heard the entire cycle more often than he has heard any one of them. Just sayin'... :)

8)

Oh yes, it is batshit crazy. Haydn wrote 106 superb symphonies. Not a dud among them. Ranking them is a fool's game (yeah, I'm a fool too  ;D ). Still, the exercise is fun, entertaining (if you don't take him seriously) and even informative. His comments, like your blog, have made me reevaluate some I hadn't given much thought to (so many slip through the cracks). For that reason alone, the article is worth reading.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"