Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Joseph HaydnOften, when struggling against obstacles of every sort which oppose my labors: often, when the powers of mind and body weakened, and it was difficult to continue the course I had entered on; – a secret voice whispered to me: "there are so few happy and contented peoples here below; grief and sorrow are always their lot; perhaps your labors will once be a source from which the care-worn, or the man burdened with affairs, can derive a few moments rest and refreshment." This was indeed a powerful motive to press onwards, and this is why I now look back with cheerful satisfaction on the labors expended on this art, to which I have devoted so many long years of uninterrupted effort and exertion.

A few monents of rest and refreshment???

JS Bach said as much:

Quote from: JS BachThe aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.

Can you imagine Berlioz, Wagner, Schoenberg or Boulez subscribing to that? Only if one substituted "restive" for "rest" and "torment" for "refreshment".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 25, 2018, 06:50:33 AM
A few monents of rest and refreshment???

JS Bach said as much:

Can you imagine Berlioz, Wagner, Schoenberg or Boulez subscribing to that? Only if one substituted "restive" for "rest" and "torment" for "refreshment".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

'Tis the season

https://youtu.be/0jYkcJ_giZ0
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

I doubt Haydn had a few moments for rest and refreshment in 1799! I have scratched the surface of the year this time, but plenty left to keep an old man busy (yes, me & Haydn both! :D ). I called this one 'Alone at the top' because on this, the 50th anniversary of his being a composer, that is exactly where he is, at the pinnacle of his career.

A monster year!

Thanks,
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Delightful & informative, as always, O Gurn
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 05, 2019, 09:54:05 AM
Delightful & informative, as always, O Gurn

Thanks, Dr. H.. Being Haydn's age now, I can't imagine taking on that work load!    :o  :o 

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PerfectWagnerite

Yes indeed, Gurn.

Personally, even if you ignore everything else he wrote, from symphony #82 on he wrote 23 symphonies, each one is an undisputed masterpiece (taking nothing away from his earlier works). I don't know of anyone who has had such a run composing.

Florestan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 05, 2019, 10:06:00 AM
even if you ignore everything else he wrote, from symphony #82 on he wrote 23 symphonies, each one is an undisputed masterpiece (taking nothing away from his earlier works). I don't know of anyone who has had such a run composing.

I know, but i'll shush.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

PerfectWagnerite

Florestan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 05, 2019, 10:08:41 AM
Spill the beans please !

Schubert! His final year is an uninterrupted chain of one masterpiece after another. If you count them they might be well over 23.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 05, 2019, 10:06:00 AM
Yes indeed, Gurn.

Personally, even if you ignore everything else he wrote, from symphony #82 on he wrote 23 symphonies, each one is an undisputed masterpiece (taking nothing away from his earlier works). I don't know of anyone who has had such a run composing.

And the symphonies were only a moderate percentage of his output. Taking that time frame, from Symphony 82 on, you have all the quartets from Opus 50 to 77 (& 103), the keyboard trios from 18-45, the keyboard sonatas from 57-62, the last 6 masses, the trumpet concerto, a crackin' good opera and numerous songs and smaller works  of very high quality.  It really is almost freakish how that worked... :-\ 

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 05, 2019, 10:18:51 AM
Schubert! His final year is an uninterrupted chain of one masterpiece after another. If you count them they might be well over 23.
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 05, 2019, 10:22:31 AM
And the symphonies were only a moderate percentage of his output. Taking that time frame, from Symphony 82 on, you have all the quartets from Opus 50 to 77 (& 103), the keyboard trios from 18-45, the keyboard sonatas from 57-62, the last 6 masses, the trumpet concerto, a crackin' good opera and numerous songs and smaller works  of very high quality.  It really is almost freakish how that worked... :-\ 

Cross-posted. I love Schubert's music too, but there is no real comparison... :)

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 05, 2019, 10:24:14 AM
Cross-posted. I love Schubert's music too, but there is no real comparison... :)

8)

I won't go any further in consideration of this:

QuoteBeing Haydn's age now

:P >:D :laugh:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 05, 2019, 10:40:50 AM
I won't go any further in consideration of this:

:P >:D :laugh:

He was 67 that year. I'm 67.  Of course, one day I will be 286 also... :-\  :D

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 05, 2019, 11:49:18 AM
He was 67 that year. I'm 67.  Of course, one day I will be 286 also... :-\  :D

8)

Well, if you make a book out of your Haydn's essays I'm sure in 286 years it'll be a classic.  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 06, 2019, 08:23:12 AM
Well, if you make a book out of your Haydn's essays I'm sure in 286 years it'll be a classic.  8)

Ah, immortality, just what I always wanted!  :D  ;D

8)

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 05, 2019, 08:42:07 AM
I doubt Haydn had a few moments for rest and refreshment in 1799! I have scratched the surface of the year this time, but plenty left to keep an old man busy (yes, me & Haydn both! :D ). I called this one 'Alone at the top' because on this, the 50th anniversary of his being a composer, that is exactly where he is, at the pinnacle of his career.

A monster year!

Thanks,
8)

Thanks again for this!

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on January 06, 2019, 04:03:55 PM
Thanks again for this!

Delighted you had an opportunity to read it. Thank you!

8)

schnittkease

Great read! I find that AMZ and other contemporaneous journals are sorely underrated (at least by laymen like me) in the amount of valuable information they can bring to light; when I compile composer worklists for IMSLP I always make sure to sift through these journals -- you never know what you can find.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: schnittkease on January 06, 2019, 06:30:10 PM
Great read! I find that AMZ and other contemporaneous journals are sorely underrated (at least by laymen like me) in the amount of valuable information they can bring to light; when I compile composer worklists for IMSLP I always make sure to sift through these journals -- you never know what you can find.

Thank you.

Problem for me is I can't read German. For a Haydn researcher this is a crucial shortcoming! But the snippets I get here and there are always fascinating in that they put some meat on the bones of an otherwise fairly dry statement of facts. If only they had existed 40 years earlier... :)

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2019, 06:42:23 PM
Thank you.

Problem for me is I can't read German. For a Haydn researcher this is a crucial shortcoming! But the snippets I get here and there are always fascinating in that they put some meat on the bones of an otherwise fairly dry statement of facts. If only they had existed 40 years earlier... :)

8)

No harm in starting to learn. Try Duolingo.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!