Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 26, 2007, 05:30:34 AM
Not much of a plan when nearly half of them aren't worth listening to more then several times.

Still, "several" is a variable which will depend upon the individual.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 26, 2007, 05:47:27 AM
Have it your way, but don't complain when you get half-away through the set and find yourself completed disgusted of this music altogether.
That's a bit strong. I think the early symphonies are a great deal of fun. Once in a while there is a surprise here and there, like the extended flute solo in the finale of symphony number twenty-something (don't remember which one exactly). But one thing I'll say I never get BORED per say, unless I have to listen to more than 1 CD at a time. I think if you go at it like one or two CDs a week you'll find the early symphonies very much enjoyable.

I think anything after 60 or so is pretty  much essential listening.

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on December 26, 2007, 05:40:33 AM
Corey,
I was looking at the Fischer set as well.  However, I am waiting patiently for Brilliant to release Haydn's complete works and netting them that way and just have it all.  Then I will go back and continue to add other recordings outside of this mega box set that I deem "truly brilliant".  ;)

Complete works or just the symphonies, because they've already released a big box of the Fischer set.

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B00006GA50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1198680738&sr=8-1

Bogey

Quote from: Corey on December 26, 2007, 05:53:29 AM
Complete works or just the symphonies, because they've already released a big box of the Fischer set.

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Complete-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B00006GA50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1198680738&sr=8-1

Complete works.  Knowing Brilliant, it may be more cost effective to go for the larger set.  :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Is there a complete works box in the pipeline, Bill, or is that a pipedream?  8)

(A thrice-worthy pipedream, be it noted!)

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 06:06:43 AM
Is there a complete works box in the pipeline, Bill, or is that a pipedream?  8)

(A thrice-worthy pipedream, be it noted!)

According to Harry there was at one point, and somehow he has direct access to the House of Orange-Nassau who should be "in the know" on something of such great importance.   He did predict the Beethoven set....and might I say better than the local meteorologists that missed our winter snowstom that hit yesterday at predawn.  :)   
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Well, when it comes to the availability of recordings, Harry's authority is supreme  :D

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on December 25, 2007, 05:00:21 PM
Whatever you do, i strongly recommend you start from the last symphonies and go backwards from there. Trust me on this.

Suffer from ocd much? >:D

karlhenning

Yow! David is back in da house!  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 06:24:51 AM
Well, when it comes to the availability of recordings, Harry's authority is supreme  :D

I'm guessing he has a "beta" version already on the shelf Karl.

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 06:33:26 AM
Yow! David is back in da house!  ;D

Coolness and bees knees all wrapped into one! :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Corey on December 26, 2007, 05:40:19 AM
Thanks, but I think I'll listen to them all from the beginning and decide that for myself.

Good idea, as there are some marvelous pieces among the early works as well as some I can take or leave. The early trilogy of #6-8 (Le Matin, Le Midi, and Le Soir) #22, the "Philosopher," with its dignified opening movement featuring 2 English horns, #31, and #44, are only a few fine pieces that come immediately to mind. And though I admit I don't have the Fischer set right now, I have all the Doratis and I think there is much fine music-making there, whether or not the Fischers are "superior." A couple of years ago I went through the entire set in sequence, and I would hardly say I was "completed disgusted of this music altogether," quite the contrary. It was in fact fascinating to observe Haydn's evolution from the earlier works to the more mature masterpieces.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

BachQ

Whatever you do, i strongly recommend you start from the last symphonies and go backwards from there. Trust me on this.

I recommend starting from the middle (#52), and working concentrically outward from there (i.e., after 52, next would be 51 and 53; then 50 and 54 ....... etc .......)

Kullervo

Quote from: D Minor on December 26, 2007, 12:15:44 PM
I recommend starting from the middle (#52), and working concentrically outward from there (i.e., after 52, next would be 51 and 53; then 50 and 54 ....... etc .......)

Or go according to the symphonies whose number is closest in corresponding to the Fibonacci series. ;D  >:D

Don

My mom's best advice to me was - never pay attention to anyone who says "trust me".  In addition I always feel that starting from the beginning is the best way to go (and I already did).

BachQ

Trust me: your mom knows best ........

karlhenning

Quote from: Don on December 26, 2007, 12:43:56 PM
My mom's best advice to me was - never pay attention to anyone who says "trust me".

Excellent advice.

And (not at all coincidentally) "trust me" is one of ACD's/"davidzalman's" pet phrases, for instance.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Don on December 26, 2007, 12:43:56 PM
My mom's best advice to me was - never pay attention to anyone who says "trust me".

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 04:01:23 PM
Excellent advice.

Indeed...

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ChamberNut

Discovering Haydn's string quartets for the first time.  Starting off with sampling Naxos Kodaly Quartet, the Opus 76.  This is terrific stuff!!!   :)

I would like some recommendations for which are Haydn's best string quartets (perhaps 10-20), and some great recordings.  I only have the Seven Last Words of Christ arranged for String Quartet in my collection, by the Emerson SQ.  Love it!

Harry

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 09, 2008, 04:51:44 AM
Discovering Haydn's string quartets for the first time.  Starting off with sampling Naxos Kodaly Quartet, the Opus 76.  This is terrific stuff!!!   :)

I would like some recommendations for which are Haydn's best string quartets (perhaps 10-20), and some great recordings.  I only have the Seven Last Words of Christ arranged for String Quartet in my collection, by the Emerson SQ.  Love it!

I would say, all SQ are best. Haydn simply wrote no bad SQ.
As for recordings, I would recommend Kodaly on Naxos, but the latest releases on Brilliant with the Buchbergers are fantastic too, and much cheaper.
Excellent sound and stunning performances. They are somewhat fresher in approch, and played faster in general.

Handel

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 09, 2008, 04:51:44 AM

To me, both op. 20 and op. 76 are the best Haydn composed.