Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 09, 2008, 04:51:44 AM
Discovering Haydn's string quartets for the first time.  Starting off with sampling Naxos Kodaly Quartet, the Opus 76.  This is terrific stuff!!!   :)

I would like some recommendations for which are Haydn's best string quartets (perhaps 10-20), and some great recordings......

Well, I'd have to agree w/ the others that there is plenty to enjoy & discovery in the Haydn SQs - I've collected these works for years and now have most except the earliest ones - attached is a 'screen capture' from my classical music database - shows the Opus numbers & the discs that I currently own; but the forum has had many discussions on these works, so you will likely receive plenty & various recommendations - good luck in your choices -  :)

ChamberNut

Wow, thanks everyone for your recommendations!   :)  Time to go hunting.

jwinter

FYI, this recording mentioned a few pages ago on this thread is available for download from Amazon, $8.99 for 256 MP3. 

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing a baryton before, so I may check this out tonight.  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Haffner

Quote from: Handel on January 09, 2008, 07:28:37 AM
To me, both op. 20 and op. 76 are the best Haydn composed.

Agreed. But get both the Kodaly ("modern") and the Quatuor Mosaiques (HiP). Might seem like alot, but with such incredible masterpieces, you won't regret it. Trust me on this.

Bogey

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 09, 2008, 08:40:30 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for your recommendations!   :)  Time to go hunting.

Whatever you do, do not disregard Op. 77.  It is my favorite.  Probably Op. 20 after that.  If you can find them cheaply enough, try Tátrai String Quartet's recordings.  I believe George enjoys these as well.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on January 13, 2008, 10:07:03 AM
Whatever you do, do not disregard Op. 77.  It is my favorite.  Probably Op. 20 after that.  If you can find them cheaply enough, try Tátrai String Quartet's recordings.  I believe George enjoys these as well.

Yes, Op 77 & 103 are first rate. I will interject here that I have Tatrai's Op 76, and despite the wonderful playing, I find the tempi to be too much on the slow side, so the sprightly spirit of the works goes wanting. But anyway...

I just got this Op 77 last week, and I love it:

Very recommended! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Beethoven 9ths - Chicago Symphony/Solti - Beethoven Symphony #9 in d Op 125 3rd mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

PerfectWagnerite

I heard this group live when they were artist in residence at my school for awhile so I may be partial but I think this is a wonderful disc:

now available for about $7 for 2cds.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 13, 2008, 10:36:04 AM
I heard this group live when they were artist in residence at my school for awhile so I may be partial but I think this is a wonderful disc:

The picture is really dark, PW. Is that the Endellion? :)

8)
----------------
Now playing:
Beethoven 9ths - Chicago Symphony/Solti - Beethoven Symphony #9 in d Op 125 4th mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

Has anyone even heard the Brilliant recordings from the Buchbergers, that got overall rave reviews?
Or am I the only one that likes them very much, on this forum? :o
I posted the first 5 volumes, but nobody seemed eager to try them out, well, maybe I did not write well enough about them, allthough I praised them highly. :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2008, 11:10:25 AM

8)
----------------
Now playing:
Beethoven 9ths - Chicago Symphony/Solti - Beethoven Symphony #9 in d Op 125 4th mvmt
Yes indeed Gurn. They are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Harry on January 13, 2008, 11:18:02 AM
Has anyone even heard the Brilliant recordings from the Buchbergers, that got overall rave reviews?
Or am I the only one that likes them very much, on this forum? :o
I posted the first 5 volumes, but nobody seemed eager to try them out, well, maybe I did not write well enough about them, allthough I praised them highly. :)

I know Sonic got at least some of them. He was also very complimentary. I am very slow to upgrade my Kodaly's, I am being pretty picky, since I like them and I don't have a real need unless I find something exceptional (preferably HIP). :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2008, 12:20:57 PM
I know Sonic got at least some of them. He was also very complimentary. I am very slow to upgrade my Kodaly's, I am being pretty picky, since I like them and I don't have a real need unless I find something exceptional (preferably HIP). :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
What do think about the Angeles set Gurn? Looks like a complete set and asking for only about $4 per disc ?

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2008, 10:16:51 AM
Yes, Op 77 & 103 are first rate. I will interject here that I have Tatrai's Op 76, and despite the wonderful playing, I find the tempi to be too much on the slow side, so the sprightly spirit of the works goes wanting. But anyway...

I just got this Op 77 last week, and I love it:

Very recommended! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Beethoven 9ths - Chicago Symphony/Solti - Beethoven Symphony #9 in d Op 125 3rd mvmt

Let me know if you ever want to dump the Tatrai's Op 76.  One of the few I need to complete their cycle.  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 13, 2008, 12:27:20 PM
What do think about the Angeles set Gurn? Looks like a complete set and asking for only about $4 per disc ?

I haven't heard it, PW, but DavidW had it and liked it a lot, even dumping his other recordings after he got it. I would like to try a disk or 2 before making the commitment, I guess. I've been waiting patiently for the Brilliant Haydn "Big Box", figuring I will get the complete set by the Buchbergers there. meanwhile, I've been trying to pick up whatever HIP recordings I can find. I rather favor the Festetics, their Op 33 is very nice. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Clara Schumann - Alma Mahler Sinfonietta-Francesco/Rinaldi-Nicolosi - Op 7 Piano Concerto in a - 2nd mvmt-Romanze-Andante ono troppo con Grazia

SonicMan46

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on January 13, 2008, 10:36:04 AM

I own that 2-CD set (post #132 a page back) & will second the recommendation - great bargin & excellent performances -  :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on January 13, 2008, 04:14:25 PM
I own that 2-CD set (post #132 a page back) & will second the recommendation - great bargin & excellent performances -  :D

Our Andy is cukoo for Coco Puffs over this one.  :D

Haffner

I'm crazy about op.77, but I only have the Kodaly. Will be checking the Tarai for sure.

Haffner

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 13, 2008, 11:10:25 AM

8)
----------------
Now playing:

Yeah, good one, Gurn!

George

Yes, he does. And that's saying quite a bit, as I am very picky about my Haydn.  :)

Haffner

Quote from: George on January 13, 2008, 04:23:04 PM
Our Andy is cukoo for Coco Puffs over this one.  :D

JA! George beat me to it! That cd have really intense sound...the type that makes it easily accessible.