Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on June 13, 2020, 11:04:52 AM
So I would plump for the Kodalys.

Given theirs is the only set I'm aware of that contains the spurious Op. 3 (apparently Hoffstetter's works) with the heartmelting Serenade* from No. 5, they get my vote too.

*although they play it Alegretto rather than Andante.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 13, 2020, 06:25:54 AM
The Quatuor Mosaïque may be my favorite in the Opp. 20 & 33

Megadittoes.

As for modern vs. period instruments, I don't think it makes as much difference as the playing style.  The Buchberger Quartet, for example,  plays on modern instruments, but sounds more HIP than either the Mosaiques or the Festetics.

Madiel

Thanks for all the suggestions, very valuable.

I perhaps shouldn't have mentioned period vs modern given that in this context it matters very little to me (I've previously heard a little bit of the Festetics for example and have no problem sound wise, and have now tried the Mosaïques and they sound very nice). I probably mentioned it partly because I know for some people it's an important point, and partly because in some OTHER contexts I've previously mentioned it matters - for piano trios I can't cope with a jangly fortepiano. But for string instruments I'm fairly agnostic.

Anyway, much sampling to do...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on June 13, 2020, 11:04:52 AM
I was going to suggest that Quarteto Casals but the Amazon US price is over $250.

That's nothing. Someone is trying to sell a volume of the Mosaiques for over $800.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on June 13, 2020, 09:51:23 AM
Chiaroscuro Quartet for. Op.20

Have you heard their new op 76?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

I also like the two volumes of the Jerusalem a lot but they are anthologies with mostly well known pieces. I have most of the Mosaiques (except op.33 and one half of op.64) and would recommend them above the Festetics. However, they have not recorded several of the works asked for. Both Mosaiques and Festetics are comparably slow and often "relaxed" with a sound that is more often "warm" or "earthy" than lean and scratchy. I think they could sometimes have a bit more verve and esprit. The op.33 with the Apponyi Qt. (which were the first chairs of the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra in the 1990s) is very lean and fast, closer to "cliché HIP". The Casals is as fast but more pleasant sound and modern instruments. The anthologies with the Schuppanzigh are also very good but again mostly well known pieces.
I also like the Angeles despite some non-ideal balances and an overall style that lacks a bit of variety (elegant and cheerful, but at least more verve than Kodaly), especially for the early works, but they are only available in a box.

As for odds/ends: The Kodaly's seems the only separately available op.3 (almost certainly not by Haydn), there are of course lots of recordings of op.3#5 "Ladykillers serenade" They also have the pieces from opp.1+2 that turned out to be arrangements, originally not for string quartet (but reductions from sextets with horns or similar pieces for small mixed ensembles). Besides them, I think Tatrai and Auryn are the only separately available op.1 and 2. There is a superlative op.1 by the Petersen (infuriatingly the only Haydn they ever recorded). As even the remaining 10 authentic pieces from op.1+2 have been demoted from the main body of string quartets to "early divertimenti", apparently no HIP ensemble has recorded them. Sure, they are early, but still very nice and authentic Haydn with all the mixed divertimenti and woodwind stuff (most of which is spurious and probably not by Haydn) being recorded, it's a bit deplorable that they are mostly neglected.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

I am not against a complete box. Of those that have complete (or close to) boxes, the Angeles seems to tend to get the nod.

But of course there are a number of quartets that did record a lot, that have always been separate volumes.

Madiel

It's quite hard to get decent samples of the Auryn online. JPC seems the only option and they're not very long samples...

For those that know them, would I be right in thinking they're recorded in a reasonably reverberant acoustic? That's the impression I'm getting.

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on June 13, 2020, 10:03:23 AM
op.50 Amati/Divox (two discs, probably expensive)

If I understand what I'm seeing correctly, the 2 separate discs have fairly recently been reissued as a 2-CD set. So not expensive at all.

And it sounds pretty great. Of the things I've sampled so far, this is at the top of the pile. Along with the Mosaiques, which works fine as they recorded different opuses.

Jo498

You are right about the Amati Q., it's about two for one or less , so don't hesitate. They also have an op.77 but there are far more choices for these last completed quartets.
I have two vols. of the Auryn, opp. 17 and 33 (and an earlier recording op.71), I don't remember them as particularly reverberant but they are far from the direct and dry sound favored by a bunch of older recordings (and maybe even DG in the 1980s/90s). Tacet has an audiophile reputation and the Auryn series is/has been offered as DVD-A (a rather ill-fated format, I fear) or blu-ray, whatever. And they foolishly ask the same price for singles and doubles, so don't get opp.54 or 55, because one disc will cost as much as two of op.17 and 20. I'd be surprised if anyone had quibbles with the sound of these recordings.

The Angeles was reissued in a differently designed and labelled (Decca, originally Philips) but both seem oop. I think that this was underappreciated by some connoisseurs who had their shelves already well stocked. While they are not quite competitive with the best in the more frequently recorded pieces, they are very good and I am often very positively surprised when I do some comparison (e.g. a few months ago with parts of op.64). They are somewhat distantly recorded and the first violin tends to dominate which is a fault but not so much with up to op. 17 and not to such an extent that it devalues these recordings. But if they are not easily available for a reasonable price and you already own about half of the quartets, it ceases to be the bargain it was for me in the early 2000s.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jo498 on June 14, 2020, 03:59:25 AMI'd be surprised if anyone had quibbles with the sound of these recordings.

I certainly don't. I have a nearly complete set (from op.9 on). Magnificent in all respects: balance, warmth, naturalness; judicious application of vibrato.

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on June 13, 2020, 05:51:44 PM
That's nothing. Someone is trying to sell a volume of the Mosaiques for over $800.

A pity the artists themselves wouldn't see that money. (If a buyer be found)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2020, 05:32:19 AM

Indeed.

I can't currently find the complete 10-CD edition of the Mosaiques for sale.** But I can find both separate editions of op.20 and op.33, and also a 5-CD set that had 20, 33 and the Seven Last Words. So that's an appealing option.

**The first Mosaiques I sampled was actually op.76 because those are the pieces I know best. It made a favourable impression so I wouldn't be averse to getting their recordings of works I already own.

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on June 14, 2020, 03:59:25 AM
I have two vols. of the Auryn, opp. 17 and 33 (and an earlier recording op.71), I don't remember them as particularly reverberant but they are far from the direct and dry sound favored by a bunch of older recordings (and maybe even DG in the 1980s/90s). Tacet has an audiophile reputation and the Auryn series is/has been offered as DVD-A (a rather ill-fated format, I fear) or blu-ray, whatever. And they foolishly ask the same price for singles and doubles, so don't get opp.54 or 55, because one disc will cost as much as two of op.17 and 20. I'd be surprised if anyone had quibbles with the sound of these recordings.

I know that Tacet have an audiophile reputation (which is what makes the difficulty of actually sampling most of the recordings so annoying).

I guess I just prefer a little dryer than what I'm hearing. The Seven Last Words is available on my streaming service (why only that, I've no idea!) so I will have a closer listen, but first impressions elsewhere were that it wasn't quite my thing.

Ironically, op.54/55 might be where I'd need them. There don't seem to be as many strong options for that set. Dare I say it now, the London Haydn Quartet have possibly improved by that point compared to what I heard from a different opus...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jo498 on June 14, 2020, 03:59:25 AM
The Angeles was reissued in a differently designed and labelled (Decca, originally Philips) but both seem oop. I think that this was underappreciated by some connoisseurs who had their shelves already well stocked. While they are not quite competitive with the best in the more frequently recorded pieces, they are very good and I am often very positively surprised when I do some comparison (e.g. a few months ago with parts of op.64). They are somewhat distantly recorded and the first violin tends to dominate which is a fault but not so much with up to op. 17 and not to such an extent that it devalues these recordings. But if they are not easily available for a reasonable price and you already own about half of the quartets, it ceases to be the bargain it was for me in the early 2000s.
The Angeles are as competitive as anyone and more enjoyable than most. I think you are under-rating them. Also, distantly recorded? They are on the bright side if anything, so I don't understand this comment. They are bright and springy, and very well done. Personally, I'd take them over the Mosaiques any day. But then, there are truly very few bad recordings of these pieces that I have heard. I enjoyed the Hyperion recordings, for example, so perhaps my taste on this matter will not be the same as some.

I am not as enthusiastic about the Jerusalem or Tokyo Quartet as some are here, but again, they certainly are fine and play very well. I'd be surprised if you disliked them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jo498

I think there are quite a few rather mediocre recordings of Haydn quartets that might turn off those not already fans. Although I am basing this on only two discs of "real quartets + opp.2+3) I'd put the Kodaly into this reliable but rather boring class. The Buchberger are more exciting but somewhat scrappy, not up to the standard of top rank ensembles (such as Auryn, ABQ, Hagen etc.). The Angeles is better than both but I think the sound and balance is not always up to the best (not audiophile, just standard professional ca. 2000 sound) and they are on the bright side of everything, so they are underplaying the more serious/dramatic pieces, e.g. op.55/2 or the "Fifths".
Also note that I was recommending the Angeles and only put a few caveats in, the biggest is probably availability for a decent priece.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 14, 2020, 05:32:19 AM

Unless one of them is selling their copy.  ;D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on June 14, 2020, 07:58:45 AM
Unless one of them is selling their copy.  ;D

A much-welcome chuckle, mijn goede vriend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aukhawk

QuoteChiaroscuro Quartet for. Op.20

Quote from: Mandryka on June 13, 2020, 11:43:01 PM
Have you heard their new op 76?

Heard it, bought it, got the high-res download. 
With the 'socially-distanced' cover (BIS CEO's own description)

But I'm not really able to comment, as this is the 'wrong end' of Haydn for me - I consider Op.20 was Haydn's peak and later Papa becomes progressively less interesting to me.

BTW, surveying what's out there and then ending up recommending the Kodalys in default of anything better is a bit desperate, isn't it guys?  What about the Leipzig Quartet, they've got most bases covered.

And - filed under 'odds and ends' - I thoroughly recommend this grab-bag collection from the Quatuor Hanson - I probably play this more than any other single Haydn Quartets set.
Ops 50-6, 76-2, 54-2, 33-5, 20-5, 77-2.

Jo498

Leipzig is even more expensive than Auryn. I have not heard any of them... Not only because of the price but because they appeared slowly over a long time and my shelves were pretty saturated after 2009/10 the Leipzig Haydn flew under my radar. This will eventually be probably complete, the most recent Vols. 11 and 12 are op. 17 and appeared last fall or so.
- Blaise Pascal