Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

Who do you like for a complete set?

Bogey

Well, this seems to have been the complete set that most here enjoyed:

$120 for 33 cds.

I waited on this thinking that this set would take care of it, which I believe it did:

$195 for 150 cds.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bunny

I have the Fischer box set, enjoy it, but find that the late symphonies are the weakest.  It needs to be supplemented in those, perhaps with Nikolaus Harnoncourt's box set of late symphonies done with the RCO.  I see that you are showing the new Brilliant Classics Haydn box set that includes the Fischer symphonies.  You know it can be found for about $165 if you look hard.

Dr. Dread

Thanks.

Has anyone even heard the Dorati?

Bogey

Quote from: Bunny on March 31, 2009, 06:22:36 AM
I have the Fischer box set, enjoy it, but find that the late symphonies are the weakest.  It needs to be supplemented in those, perhaps with....

Solti's efforts, though this Harnoncourt set looks very appealing.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

jwinter

I have and like both sets, though I won't claim to have listened through every disc of both.  I've had the Dorati for a longer time and have probably heard more of it, plus I like Dorati in many other recordings (particularly Tchaikovsky), so he gets my vote.  Dorati's a bit more old-school (bigger forces and all that), but since I like Bohm & Krips in Mozart (for example) that doesn't bother me.  

That said, I don't have a huge preference one over the other -- I think either set would be an excellent investment.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Dr. Dread

I think a new repackaging of the Dorati hits in May.

jwinter

Yes, I've seen that.  The current one is already pretty slim, just sleeves and the booklet.  I understand the original LPs had really nice liner notes (on each symphony, I think -- never seen them); the current CDs have OK notes but I think they're already edited down considerably.  Still, if the price is good, that's a lot of music, and you can always buy a book on Haydn with the savings.  :)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 06:40:03 AM
I think a new repackaging of the Dorati hits in May.

It's already out in Germany. I saw it the other day in a record shop (€44, I think). I was tempted but passed. I have part of it on LPs; I do like his style (e.g., minuets generally slower than is the norm today) but really, in the early and middle symphonies, I've come to prefer HIP performances. And in the later symphonies (82 and beyond) Szell, Harnoncourt, Klemperer, Davis are hard to beat.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Que

Quote from: mark4mich on March 31, 2009, 04:46:18 AM
Thanks Que, newbie to this forum, much appreciated.

Welcome, and have fun.  :)

Q

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2009, 06:50:21 AM
It's already out in Germany. I saw it the other day in a record shop (€44, I think). I was tempted but passed. I have part of it on LPs; I do like his style (e.g., minuets generally slower than is the norm today) but really, in the early and middle symphonies, I've come to prefer HIP performances. And in the later symphonies (82 and beyond) Szell, Harnoncourt, Klemperer, Davis are hard to beat.

Sarge

Kuijken and La Petite Bande has a great set of the London Symphonies (HIP), as well as a nice sets of the Paris and "Channel" symphonies. Another ongoing cycle of Haydn Symphonies to watch are those by Thomas Fey with the Heidelberger Sinfoniker (Hänssler).  Fey was a protegé of Harnoncourt and he uses a "hybrid" orchestra. 

Lethevich

I would read up reviews on the Van Swieten Trio cycle before clicking buy on the BAT, which used to be the standard (and therefore a "default" recommendation), but I would find the VST at least equal now...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

For reference, a list of incomplete HIP-related cycles (with more than just a few installments or a token London or Paris set):

Hogwood (L'Oiseau Lyre, multiple volumes, patchily available)
Brüggen (Philips, 13 CD box)
Fey (Hänssler, single CDs, a decent chance of eventual completion given the label's history)
Goodman (Hyperion Helios, 17 single CDs)
Solomons (CBS/Sony, almost all are impossible to find)
Pinnock (the Sturm und Drang ones have been reissued in a 6 CD box)
Weil (Sony, falling out of the catalogue)
Harnoncourt (Paris set on DHM, London set on Warner)
Kuijken (Paris set: Virgin, London set: DHM, misc syms: Virgin)

As a personal opinion, the Naxos cycle is too uneven and expensive, the Dorati cycle is totally outclassed in every respect by Fischer, and its only plus point is potentially its price (which Decca have finally realised in the cheap reissue). The Fischer is a brilliant set overall, the Londons are a bit weaker, but not much, and as might be expected, the early ones sound too heavy. 70%+ of the set, however, is rock solid.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

nut-job

Dorati's set is indispensible. 

Harnoncourt's recordings with the Concertgebouw (London symphonies) Paris Symphonies (Concentus Musicus) and other miscellaneous symphonies (Concentus Musicus) are awesome.   I had a few of the discs and spent years pining away for the other London symphonies before they were finally issued in a low prince box set, same for the other symphonies on Telefunken/Teldec/Warner.

Herman

Quote from: Bunny on March 31, 2009, 07:17:02 AM
Another ongoing cycle of Haydn Symphonies to watch are those by Thomas Fey with the Heidelberger Sinfoniker (Hänssler).  Fey was a protegé of Harnoncourt and he uses a "hybrid" orchestra. 

The Fey recording I heard was terrible. All the bad Harnonvourt habits (crazy sforzandi, snappy brass and wild wild stuff) and none of the good ones, such as lyricism.

Gabriel

Quote from: jwinter on March 31, 2009, 06:24:51 AM
That said, I don't have a huge preference one over the other -- I think either set would be an excellent investment.

I agree. Some symphonies are better in one set, some in the the other, but both are very consistent.

mc ukrneal

I have recently been looking for the same thing, so well timed post.

If you are looking for the Brilliant set, I had found it for $85, but decided since there was no particular rush, but I decided to wait to see if I could pick it up for under $50. I have Davis in the London (excellent) and Kuijken for some of the 80-92 or so (disappointed with some of it). So I can keep myself tied over for a while. I was not able to find the Dorati for cheaper, but I figure someone will eventually have a good deal on one or the other. Both can be found at jpc for EUR50.

If you want mp3, they just came out with the Fischer version on 8 CDs of mp3s. Cost is about 20-23 pounds ($30ish). I believe they are all 320 kbps.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

nut-job

Quote from: Herman on March 31, 2009, 10:09:31 AM
The Fey recording I heard was terrible. All the bad Harnonvourt habits (crazy sforzandi, snappy brass and wild wild stuff) and none of the good ones, such as lyricism.

I don't consider those "habits" bad.  I think I have Fey conducting a disc with Mozart Concerti, which I vaguely remember as superb.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2009, 07:30:11 AM
I would read up reviews on the Van Swieten Trio cycle before clicking buy on the BAT, which used to be the standard (and therefore a "default" recommendation), but I would find the VST at least equal now...

First, please follow & explore the links provided by Que - we've had many Haydn Threads, and plenty of recommendations; of course, you'll need to understand the HIP vs. non-HIP approaches to this music (and again, this discussion can be found in the links given).

Second, I would certainly endorse Sara's recommendation of the Piano Trios performed by the Van Swieten Trio - an outstanding HIP Brilliant box set (10 CDs), but the price is right (or use to be?) - but whatever you choose, there is so much of Haydn to appreciate that the music almost seems inexhaustible @ times -  :)

jhar26

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 31, 2009, 06:23:18 AM
Thanks.

Has anyone even heard the Dorati?
I have the Dorati set (8 four-disc sets released in the early 90's) . It's inevitably a bit old fashionned and the sound isn't as transparent as you get with period instruments but it's nevertheless a solid set. I'm sure that there are better recordings available of nearly all of these symphonies, but I doubt if anyone would be disappointed by the set as a whole.
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.