Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2010, 06:55:15 AM
Navneeth,
You must get Hob XVII:6, it is his best keyboard work even including the sonatas. It is a set of double variations, alternating themes and alternating modes (major-minor-major-minor etc). Just sayin'...

8)

Duly noted, sir. Thanks a lot. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 09, 2010, 06:50:44 AM
I would love to know your opinion of this disc, Antoine. I love the Theme and Variations works, and those by Mozart are simply delightful: you know he's going to have a lot of fun with it when the piece begins with a rather simple-sounding tune. And of course, he does! I don't think I have heard anything by Haydn, particularly (apart from those he has employed, say, in string quartets and symphonies).

Hi, Navneeth. I will report back as soon as my new French friends of Abeille Musique decide to honor our deal.

Cerasi is an interesting performer, but I have only listened to her performing baroque repertory on harpsichord. Anyway, the title of her disc is a little bit confusing –or maybe not- because it principally includes movements of piano sonatas with variations or double variations and not isolated variations, just excepting the superb Andante and Variations in F minor Hob. XVII:6 "Un piccolo divertimento", recommended by Gurn and included by me below.

If it were necessary, I think these examples could stimulate your appetite:   ;)

Andante con variazioni in F minor, Hob.XVII:6 (Ronald Brautigam, fortepiano):

http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=10465746-251

Capriccio in G major, HobXVII-1 'Acht Sauschneider müssen sein' (Christine Schornsheim, harpsichord):

http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=10466003-9e2

:)

Opus106

That is very kind of you, Antoine. Thanks. I shall listen to them after I finish with the currently playing LvB, Op. 67. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 13, 2010, 06:39:03 AM
That is very kind of you, Antoine. Thanks. I shall listen to them after I finish with the currently playing LvB, Op. 67. :)

My pleasure, Navneeth!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Antoine, I marvel at your resources... Cerasi hasn't been released yet in the US, and I checked jpc and HMV and they didn't have it yet either. But you have it... :'(   :D

Anyway, if I can read the back cover right, it looks like Hob 16:19 is the clavichord piece, and the remainder are on fortepiano, yes? I'll definitely snap that one up when it gets here (late February, by the looks of it). :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 13, 2010, 06:51:00 AM
Antoine, I marvel at your resources... Cerasi hasn't been released yet in the US, and I checked jpc and HMV and they didn't have it yet either. But you have it... :'(   :D

Anyway, if I can read the back cover right, it looks like Hob 16:19 is the clavichord piece, and the remainder are on fortepiano, yes? I'll definitely snap that one up when it gets here (late February, by the looks of it). :)

8)

UK has it. ;)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Metronome/METCD1085
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//METCD1085.htm
http://www.crotchet.co.uk/METCD1085.html
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on February 13, 2010, 07:04:42 AM
UK has it. ;)

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Metronome/METCD1085
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//METCD1085.htm
http://www.crotchet.co.uk/METCD1085.html

Ah. Bloody Brits. :D  Of course, the one of them that I checked was the one that didn't have it...

Thanks, Navneeth. It should be out here late next week according to Amazon.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 13, 2010, 06:51:00 AM

I was very lucky, Gurn; I purchased it at offer price on Abeille Musique. BTW, I understood the same: just Hob. XVI:19 on clavichord (did you see the acknowledgement to the British Clavichord Society? IIRC that Society was related to the Adlam's disc, no?).

Like you I'm also very interested in those "Haydn in London" discs. I have sometimes thought what a wonderful movie could be made on that period of Haydn's life. I can even see the trailer! "My name is Salomon; I have come from London to fetch you; we will settle terms tomorrow". :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 13, 2010, 08:13:19 AM
I was very lucky, Gurn; I purchased it at offer price on Abeille Musique. BTW, I understood the same: just Hob. XVI:19 on clavichord (did you see the acknowledgement to the British Clavichord Society? IIRC that Society was related to the Adlam's disc, no?).

Well, I was trying to read it off the picture you posted, but the little symbol they used to differentiate is hard to tell at that magnification. But that would be good anyway, since 19 is not recorded on clavichord by any of the others. :)

QuoteLike you I'm also very interested in those "Haydn in London" discs. I have sometimes thought what a wonderful movie could be made on that period of Haydn's life. I can even see the trailer! "My name is Salomon; I have come from London to fetch you; we will settle terms tomorrow". :D

:D 

Mozart: "But Papa, I fear that if you leave, I shall never see you again"

Haydn: " No worries lad, I'll be back..."

Yes, that would be a good topic. I've read a couple of books now that dwell heavily on the London music scene at the time, I think it would make a fascinating movie. In particular, they could leave the story alone and not have to invent a love interest for him, since Rebecca Schröter solves that necessity quite nicely indeed. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Academy of Ancient Music / Hogwood - Hob 01 034 Symphony in d 3rd mvmt - Menuet - Trio

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 13, 2010, 08:21:19 AM
Mozart: "But Papa, I fear that if you leave, I shall never see you again"

Haydn: " No worries lad, I'll be back..."

It would be wonderful for the trailer too.  :D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 13, 2010, 08:21:19 AM
In particular, they could leave the story alone and not have to invent a love interest for him, since Rebecca Schröter solves that necessity quite nicely indeed. :)

And what about Marianne von Genzinger, Gurn? It would be so tempting to imagine a tender and, finally, tragic love's story between them and a devastating Andante con variazioni in F minor resounding in the movie when she dies.  :'(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 13, 2010, 08:49:13 AM
It would be wonderful for the trailer too.  :D

And what about Marianne von Genzinger, Gurn? It would be so tempting to imagine a tender and, finally, tragic love's story between them and a devastating Andante con variazioni in F minor resounding in the movie when she dies.  :'(

:D  Oh yes, the "other woman", pinin' away in Vienna whist our peripatetic composer is out seeing the world. And not to forget Luigia Polzelli either, or The Infernal Beast who was still around. :D  And maybe even a nice scene with him singing and playing with poetess Ann Hunter her "Original Canzonettas". Yup, he had it going on there, it seems. Hollywood would love it!  (not to mention that just plain sticking to the facts would make a fascinating movie, who could write something like that?)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Academy of Ancient Music / Hogwood - Hob 01 021 Symphony in A 1st mvmt - Adagio

Opus106

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 13, 2010, 06:33:14 AM
[T]he superb Andante and Variations in F minor Hob. XVII:6 "Un piccolo divertimento", recommended by Gurn and included by me below.

If it were necessary, I think these examples could stimulate your appetite:   ;)

Andante con variazioni in F minor, Hob.XVII:6 (Ronald Brautigam, fortepiano):

<Embedded Flash>

Capriccio in G major, HobXVII-1 'Acht Sauschneider müssen sein' (Christine Schornsheim, harpsichord):

<Embedded Flash>

:)

Just had my first session with the Variations. Quite a wonderful piece, and on a different plane than the Mozart variations I mentioned/had in mind earlier. I, for one, would not have been able to say (if I had not been informed earlier) if this piece would be a set of variations. And right at the beginning, it starts with the theme in a manner I find similar to some Schubert impromptus and Chopin's nocturnes -- some of my most loved works. Once again: thank you, Gurn and Antoine, for introducing me to this piece. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on February 14, 2010, 10:32:29 AM
Just had my first session with the Variations. Quite a wonderful piece, and on a different plane than the Mozart variations I mentioned/had in mind earlier. I, for one, would not have been able to say (if I had not been informed earlier) if this piece would be a set of variations. And right at the beginning, it starts with the theme in a manner I find similar to some Schubert impromptus and Chopin's nocturnes -- some of my most loved works. Once again: thank you, Gurn and Antoine, for introducing me to this piece. :)

Ah, glad you like those, Navneeth. Haydn is said by many to have invented this form, called double variation, although it is unlikely that he actually did. But he certainly used it better than most, since it shows up in many orchestral and chamber works as well as the keyboard works. It is entirely different than what others were doing at the time, including Mozart (who was pretty much standard in his T & V's). That one dates from 1793, in London, so not an early work at all. And might be deemed likely to have been heard by Chopin AND Schubert... just sayin'... :)

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 14, 2010, 10:49:45 AM
Ah, glad you like those, Navneeth. Haydn is said by many to have invented this form, called double variation, although it is unlikely that he actually did. But he certainly used it better than most, since it shows up in many orchestral and chamber works as well as the keyboard works.

I was just reading about that on Wikipedia where a large portion of the article is devoted to a list of Haydn's works, with a nod to CPE, who might have been Haydn's inspiration.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on February 14, 2010, 10:56:23 AM
I was just reading about that on Wikipedia where a large portion of the article is devoted to a list of Haydn's works, with a nod to CPE, who might have been Haydn's inspiration.

Makes good sense to me. He had the highest respect for CPE, and studied his keyboard works extensively early on. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Haydn: The Seven Last Words of Our Saviour on the Cross (Orchestral version, 1786)
Le Concert Des Nations
Jordi Savall (direction)
DVD

I bought this DVD almost two months ago, but just yesterday I had time to watch it.

It was released in 2009, but the performance is the same previously released on CD and SACD by Alia Vox in 2007 and recorded at the Santa Cueva of Cádiz Church, Spain on October 2-4, 2006.

I have enjoyed watching these excellent musicians playing their period instruments (Manfredo Kramer and Marc Hantaï immediately come to my mind), but I suppose the small space at the church avoids better results because the musicians look rather piled up and the church itself seems uninteresting or, at least, almost ignored by the director.

Additionally, the extras don't add too much in the musical aspects, just excepting a short interview to Jordi Savall (I was surprised for his agreeable voice). The liner notes are the same included in the booklet of the CD. 

Finally, a good amount of Catholic imagery is showed during the performance and the Gospels are read -like in the CD- in between every movement... Just a warning for our non-believers members and/or moderators.  ;)   

Below some captures from the French (?) TV Channel "Mezzo", posted on You Tube:

Sonata V. Adagio:

Il Terremoto. Presto con tutta la forza:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 20, 2010, 08:10:41 AM
Haydn: The Seven Last Words of Our Saviour on the Cross (Orchestral version, 1786)
Le Concert Des Nations
Jordi Savall (direction)
DVD

I bought this DVD almost two months ago, but just yesterday I had time to watch it.

It was released in 2009, but the performance is the same previously released on CD and SACD by Alia Vox in 2007 and recorded at the Santa Cueva of Cádiz Church, Spain on October 2-4, 2006.

I have enjoyed watching these excellent musicians playing their period instruments (Manfredo Kramer and Marc Hantaï immediately come to my mind), but I suppose the small space at the church avoids better results because the musicians look rather piled up and the church itself seems uninteresting or, at least, almost ignored by the director.

Additionally, the extras don't add too much in the musical aspects, just excepting a short interview to Jordi Savall (I was surprised for his agreeable voice). The liner notes are the same included in the booklet of the CD. 

Finally, a good amount of Catholic imagery is showed during the performance and the Gospels are read -like in the CD- in between every movement. Just a warning for our non-believers contributors and/or moderators.  ;)   

Below some captures from the French (?) TV Channel "Mezzo", posted on You Tube:

Sonata V. Adagio:

Il Terremoto. Presto con tutta la forza:

Yes, I have the CD version of this, it is such an outstanding performance! I do appreciate the alert... ;D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on February 20, 2010, 09:29:57 AM
Ditto.  And as a non-Christian, the inclusion of Catholic liturgy doesn't bother me a bit, any more than in the Masses.   :)

Yeah, the imagery is interesting, and in many cases it was the paramount artwork of its time. Something that has held true since the Egyptians, at least. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 20, 2010, 08:13:57 AM
Yes, I have the CD version of this, it is such an outstanding performance! I do appreciate the alert... ;D

It's a formidable performance indeed.

BTW, Gurn, IIRC some months ago you purchased the string quartet version of the Seven Last Words, performed by the Terpsycordes Quartet. What's your opinion about it?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 21, 2010, 08:48:14 AM
It's a formidable performance indeed.

BTW, Gurn, IIRC some months ago you purchased the string quartet version of the Seven Last Words, performed by the Terpsycordes Quartet. What's your opinion about it?

Well, they play in a more modern style than the QF or QM, more of an early Romantic sort of style if you will (bet they are really good in Schubert!). It's funny, I often read the complaint "they are a Baroque group trying to play Classical...", but in this case it is the opposite, they seem more like a Romantic group going backwards instead. In any case, the playing is very good, and would very likely suit the many people who like a bit more vibrato you would expect from that setup. Nicely recorded sound, I'm pleased overall with it, since the period strings are so wonderfully mellow.   :)

8)