Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Hah! Splendid, Navneeth!

Yes, they were columned out nicely in my spreadsheet, but when I copied/pasted into this text editor, there came no spaces at all. This is just right!  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Carmina Quartet - Haydn - 77 2 C Op76 3 HobIII 77 Erdody 3 Emperor Poco Adagio Cantabile
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 11, 2010, 11:28:27 AM
Hah! Splendid, Navneeth!

Yes, they were columned out nicely in my spreadsheet, but when I copied/pasted into this text editor, there came no spaces at all. This is just right!  :)

Gurn & Navneeth - VERY WELL done!  Congrats for that splendidly formatted list!  :D

Now, what is the easiest way to get this into a printable format?  I'd love to stick the entire list w/ my Haydn Symphonies - of course, I could printout a bunch of 'screen captures' or use some OCR software - let's see if our esteemed colleagues may have some other solutions?  Dave  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on September 11, 2010, 01:07:14 PM
Gurn & Navneeth - VERY WELL done!  Congrats for that splendidly formatted list!  :D

Now, what is the easiest way to get this into a printable format?  I'd love to stick the entire list w/ my Haydn Symphonies - of course, I could printout a bunch of 'screen captures' or use some OCR software - let's see if our esteemed colleagues may have some other solutions?  Dave  :)

Dave,
I don't know if you're a spreadsheet guy, but if so, you have only to copy and paste it and it should but one data chunk per cell. The only way it would screw up is if it saw the blank in the last column (Name) and pulled the next data line into there to start with. Scarpia may be typing you the perfect answer now, he is better at that than I am (so is Navneeth, for that matter).  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
A.of S.M. in the F. CE - Spohr Octet #1 in d for Strings Op 65 1st mvmt

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Quote from: SonicMan on September 11, 2010, 01:07:14 PM

Dave, a quick way is to copy the code portion from my post, paste it into a text editor, go to its find-and-replace option and change the '['s to '<'s and ']' to '>'s. This should change the text from BB Code to HTML. Now save the text file with a .html extension, which you can then display in a web-browser* and print it out. But you must note that this will be in a very simple format, no different than what you see here -- no borders or cells. If you (or anyone else) want, I can make changes to the script so that it pops out a neat little HTML file; but you'll have to wait for a few hours since it's getting late here.  :)

*If it doesn't display properly, add

<html><body>

to the beginning of the file and

</body></html>

at the end.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Now I feel a little silly for providing the instructions above.  :-[ (I told you it was late. :D ) If you have tried that, you might have noticed that most of the code transformed nicely to HTML, with a few parts causing a mess of the whole thing. I realised this a little too late, so to set things right, I amended the code and made a PDF out of the whole thing. I did this in Ubuntu, so 'Sonic' Dave can probably see what I'm seeing right now on his travel lappy :D, while I'd appreciate input from Windows users on how it appears on their machines.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on September 12, 2010, 08:02:36 AM
Now I feel a little silly for providing the instructions above.  :-[ (I told you it was late. :D ) If you have tried that, you might have noticed that most of the code transformed nicely to HTML, with a few parts causing a mess of the whole thing. I realised this a little too late, so to set things right, I amended the code and made a PDF out of the whole thing. I did this in Ubuntu, so 'Sonic' Dave can probably see what I'm seeing right now on his travel lappy :D, while I'd appreciate input from Windows users on how it appears on their machines.

Ah, that came out quite nicely indeed! Always liked PDF's... :)

(Oh, Windows 7. Looks good)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Carmina Quartet - Hob 03 76 Quartet in d for Strings Op 76 #2 1st mvmt - Allegro

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on September 12, 2010, 08:02:36 AM

Hi Navneeth - thanks for the extra work (beyond the call of duty!) -  :D

The PDF file opens fine for me on my Ubuntu laptop (using Evince) & also on my Dell Vista laptop using Foxit!

Well done - will certainly make some printouts now!  Dave   :)

Opus106

Gurn and Dave, thanks for the feedback. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Opus 106's is a big improvement, but my goal was to have them on a one-page cheat-sheet., which I have managed to do.  In case anyone is interested, I've attached it in two versions, sorted by HRL and Hob number.  I converted to pdf in Firefox and the result does not look right on the screen (lined disappear unless viewed at more than 100% magnification), but prints nicely.  (I printed mine on two sides of a single sheet).

Scarpia

I tweaked the browser to give a pdf file that looks better on the screen (contents basically identical).

Gurn Blanston

Ah, very nice. Useful in single page format. Of course, the big thing is to make the information available. You would have thought it was a big secret, as difficult as it was to find it. :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Carmina Quartet - Hob 03:80 Quartet in Eb for Strings Op 76 #6 3rd mvmt - Menuet: Presto

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 12, 2010, 04:01:05 PM
Ah, very nice. Useful in single page format. Of course, the big thing is to make the information available. You would have thought it was a big secret, as difficult as it was to find it. :-\

Thanks again for making the information you compiled available!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scarpia on September 12, 2010, 03:39:57 PM
I tweaked the browser to give a pdf file that looks better on the screen (contents basically identical).

Hello Scarpia - thanks for further tweaking this Haydn listing!  Much appreciated - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Funny thing how a topic comes up and all of a sudden you find more info than you knew was available. Of course, with Haydn you can be sure that all information you can find will be conflicting. :D

But a friend on the Haydn List turned me on to this new website, and they have apparently been working very hard to get a usable chronology of the symphonies. Their results reflect that Robbins-Landon was right about most things, however in quite a few details there are differences.

I downloaded their data and put it into a spreadsheet and printed it like the real mavens do, as a PDF file. Here it is attached, and you can compare for yourself. Interesting, I would say.

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Radio-Philharmonie Hannover \ Goritzki - Onslow Symphony #4 Op 71 in G 1st mvmt - Introduzione: Largo - Allegro spirituoso

Bogey

Grabbed this one tonight....did not even know he wrote organ concertos.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 17, 2010, 08:26:34 PM

Grabbed this one tonight....did not even know he wrote organ concertos.

Hey, Bill. Nice disk that. Generally you will find that Haydn's Keyboard Concertos, Hob. XVIII,  are called "concerto for keyboard". :)  And that's because there is no certainty exactly which klavier they were composed for. Even his famous last one, 18:11 in D, which was composed as late as 1781 where you would assume a fortepiano, is not certainly a piano concerto. As it turns out, there was no fortepiano at Esterhazy at that time, so if he wrote it for there then it was most likely for harpsichord. However, he wrote some dynamics into it that seem to indicate piano...  :-\

That said, some of the earliest ones are known to be for certain purposes. While still living in Vienna (mid-1750's), Haydn supplemented his income from giving lessons by being employed as the leader of the orchestra at the Church of Barmherzige and also as the organist for a local Count. Haydn wrote 6 concertos during this time, but only 1 autograph score survives (18:1). Even so, it is difficult to tell it was for organ except that the high end is beyond the range of a harpsichord.

Based on that sort of internal evidence, it is believed that 1, 2, 5, 8 & 10 (and possibly 6, for keyboard and violin) were originally for organ. In Haydn's own lifetime these works were played on organ, harpsichord and fortepiano, and his contemporaries and publishers called them "Concerto for Klavier", so we probably won't ever know for sure.  That is SOOOooo Haydn. :D

8)

Bogey

Great insights there, my friend.  Thanks much!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 18, 2010, 09:16:36 AM
Great insights there, my friend.  Thanks much!

Always delighted to make my favorite musician more accessible to all! Hope you enjoy those concerti. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Lussier / Thouin / Plourde / Loiselle - Devienne Op 73 #2 Quartet in F for Bassoon & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro

snyprrr

...ah, back in the Haydn SQ Thread. mmm, smell that country air coming in through the window, and the wood.

I can't belieeeve they Locked MY ::) Thread before I got a chance to confront Gurn with those horrible things he said about me. :o I think his post should be reproduced here so that I might have,...satisfaction!! :o :o and to clear my good name in this Thread.

A duel, sir! :P

I dooo seem to recall stating that the "note" in question (the elusive Note of Destiny,...the one that makes you weep) most certainly occurs in the first mvmt of op.20/5 in f minor,... however, as I was so careful to point out at the time, the only version on which you will hear this note ring (and not pinched off), is the Lindsays' studio recording (they also have a 'live' version, I think, which I will have to seek out). The nest closest is the QM, though they still leave that crucial violin note slightly pinched.

So, no one can say that I didn't after ALL, find what I waaaas looking for,... for,...it HAD to be there,...it just had to be there, and it was. And it was in f minor. Simply Classic!... and so Metal to boot!

However, I think it was AndyD's, and JdP's comments afterwards that were right on.

So, Gurn, I'm waiting,... taptaptap,... oh, and I'll take the flowers aaand the chocolate, thank you!! :-* ;D

uhhh,...(he turns his head away, wounded and betrayed :'( )

kishnevi

Quote from: snyprrr on September 21, 2010, 06:31:06 PM

I dooo seem to recall stating that the "note" in question (the elusive Note of Destiny,...the one that makes you weep) most certainly occurs in the first mvmt of op.20/5 in f minor,... however, as I was so careful to point out at the time, the only version on which you will hear this note ring (and not pinched off), is the Lindsays' studio recording (they also have a 'live' version, I think, which I will have to seek out). The nest closest is the QM, though they still leave that crucial violin note slightly pinched.

Most esteemed sir, I currently in possession of that live recording to which you make reference, and will gladly listen to it on your behalf; only I have no knowledge of what your phrase "note of destiny" refers to, and would need instruction on that point.

I remain at your service,
Kishnevi