Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: DavidW on November 01, 2010, 06:25:02 AM
Well I don't know Van Swieten Trio is just as good and has the benefit of having the entire set on my shelf! :D  Plus if I had to choose today, I know gmgers don't like to talk about this, but one set is bargain priced the other is full price for the same works, the same interpretation on PI, the same sound quality.

I won't quibble with you about the Van Swieten recordings, I also have their complete set, but the Trio 1790 is worth hearing, too (at least in my opinion), for those opus numbers that are personal favorites, and it is an easy matter to find these recordings from sellers on Amazon for around $10 or even less.

But, the main thing I find of interest are the Trio 1790 recordings by other (less well known) composers.  These are well worth checking out.

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 06:27:28 AM
...So if you don't like harpsichord the choice becomes easier. While if you don't like fortepiano, there's no hope for you... ;D

oh, but there is: hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-here:

as deliciously non-PI as it gets; great music-making beyond questions of musical ideology.

F. Haydn
Complete Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio
Philips

I like them rather better than Haydn Trio Eisenstadt, although they, too, are fine.
(Swieten, of course, is also in my collection; I go both ways, after all, when it comes to PI.)

[Don't quote that out of context, if you please.]

DavidW

That is a great set Jens!  I love it! :)  But I wish that Pentatone would remaster the entire box and not just one disc.  That would be awesome. 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on November 01, 2010, 06:37:05 AM

But, the main thing I find of interest are the Trio 1790 recordings by other (less well known) composers.  These are well worth checking out.

Yes, I have the Dussek also (he is one of my favorites) and the CPE Bach. I like their work well enough to look for them regularly. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2010, 06:39:23 AM
oh, but there is: hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-here:

as deliciously non-PI as it gets; great music-making beyond questions of musical ideology.

F. Haydn
Complete Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio
Philips

I like them rather better than Haydn Trio Eisenstadt, although they, too, are fine.
(Swieten, of course, is also in my collection; I go both ways, after all, when it comes to PI.)

[Don't quote that out of context, if you please.]

No, you're secret is safe with me. Anyway, I like the Beaux Arts a lot. They were my introduction to these works and this is a great set for the non-PI folks out there. You won't get any argument from me!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: Bogey on September 17, 2010, 08:26:34 PM

Grabbed this one tonight....did not even know he wrote organ concertos.

Koopman has just recorded this pieces for a 2nd time! :)

H.18, nrs. 1, 2 & 6

At jpc

Q

SonicMan46

London Symphonies w/ Marc Minkowski & Les Musiciens du Louvre, recorded in 2009 (Vienna) - starting my second listening to this new release and a recent acquisition.

The recordings were done 'live' but there is barely a peep from the audience and no applause (if that's important to you?) - the engineering by Naive is superb.  This is a period instrument group and the sound and performances are spectacular, and w/ a few surprises -  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on November 02, 2010, 06:57:53 AM
London Symphonies w/ Marc Minkowski & Les Musiciens du Louvre, recorded in 2009 (Vienna) - starting my second listening to this new release and a recent acquisition.

The recordings were done 'live' but there is barely a peep from the audience and no applause (if that's important to you?) - the engineering by Naive is superb.  This is a period instrument group and the sound and performances are spectacular, and w/ a few surprises -  :D

Ha, thought you might like that! I enjoyed it a lot, I like the emphasis in the recording on such frequently undervalued instruments as the timpani. 100 & 103 are my favorites in the box, but there is none that I dislike. :)

8)

snyprrr

I went on an Op.76 sample hunt, looking for my next wife.

Honestly, the Buchbergers in Op.76 sound like they rock! I don't hear anything to complain about (what wiiiill I do???). They really sound like they're digging in here.

The Lindsays, too, were pretty eye poppin in the samples. Any trepidation here has vanished.

There were no samples for the Takacs(?). I am concerned, hearing there may be upper glare in their performance/or recording. Does no one have them here?? Maybe I'm letting that Decca logo color my thoughts?

I thought the Tokyo were very polished indeed, but there might have been some high end thing in the recording. Also, they didn't seem to dig in very much, though, I did hear some burnished cello. Still, probably not up to the very highest standards.

I will be making a decision soon.

Meaning, I'll probably have to get everything. ::)

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on November 03, 2010, 08:29:51 PM

There were no samples for the Takacs(?). I am concerned, hearing there may be upper glare in their performance/or recording. Does no one have them here??

I do...

DavidW

Haydn fans, would it be right to say that the Hoboken catalogue does not have the order right when it comes to the piano trios?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 11:13:17 AM
Haydn fans, would it be right to say that the Hoboken catalogue does not have the order right when it comes to the piano trios?

Not remotely close. As a quick example, 6, 7 & 8 are from the mid 1780's, while 36, 37 & 38 are from the early 1760's... :)  I'll post a list in a little bit.   ;)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Anton Steck (Violin) \ Robert Hill (Pianoforte) - D 934 Fantasia in C for Violin & Pianoforte

DavidW

Crap!  That is what I was afraid of!  I feel like I should put a composition date in my mp3 tags for clarity.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 11:20:08 AM
Crap!  That is what I was afraid of!  I feel like I should put a composition date in my mp3 tags for clarity.

That, or alternatively you can call them #1, #2 etc... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Anton Steck (Violin) \ Robert Hill (Pianoforte) - D 934 Fantasia in C for Violin & Pianoforte

DavidW

yeah that would be simpler. :)

Gurn Blanston

These are laid out that way. I haven't had time to edit this data yet, I can't even remember where I stole it. But I did compare with my books, and it seems correct enough. It'll save some typing.

* No. 1 in F major, Hoboken 15/37
    * No. 2 in C major, Hoboken 15/C1
    * No. 3 in G major, Hoboken 14/6
    * No. 4 in F major, Hoboken 15/39
    * No. 5 in G minor, Hoboken 15/1
    * No. 6 in F major, Hoboken 15/40 (exists with a different slow movement as the piano concerto Hob. 18/7)
    * No. 7 in G major, Hoboken 15/41
    * No. 8 Hoboken 15/33 (lost)
    * No. 9 Hoboken 15/D1 (lost)
    * No. 10 in A major, Hoboken 15/35
    * No. 11 in E major, Hoboken 15/34
    * No. 12 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/36
    * No. 13 in B flat major, Hoboken 15/38
    * No. 14 in F minor, Hoboken 15/f1
    * No. 15 in D major, Hoboken 15/deest
    * No. 16 in C major, Hoboken 14/C1
    * No. 17 in F major, Hoboken 15/2

Later trios
    * No. 18 in G major, Hoboken 15/5 (1784)
    * No. 19 in F major, Hoboken 15/6 (1784)
    * No. 20 in D major, Hoboken 15/7 (1784)
    * No. 21 in B flat major, Hoboken 15/8 (1784)
    * No. 22 in A major, Hoboken 15/9 (1785)
    * No. 23 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/10 (1785)
    * No. 24 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/11 (1788)
    * No. 25 in E minor, Hoboken 15/12 (1788)
    * No. 26 in C minor, Hoboken 15/13 (1789)
    * No. 27 in A flat major, Hoboken 15/14 (1790)
    * No. 28 in D major, Hoboken 15/16 (1790)
    * No. 29 in G major, Hoboken 15/15 (1790)
    * No. 30 in F major, Hoboken 15/17 (1790)
    * No. 31 in G major, Hoboken 15/32 (1792)

Three trios (H. 18-20) dedicated to Princess Maria Theresa, wife of Prince Anton Esterházy:
    * No. 32 in A major, Hoboken 15/18 (1793)
    * No. 33 in G minor, Hoboken 15/19 (1793)
    * No. 34 in B flat major, Hoboken 15/20 (1794)

Three trios (H. 21-23) dedicated to Princess Maria Josepha, wife of Prince Nicholas Esterházy:
    * No. 35 in C major, Hoboken 15/21 (1794)
    * No. 36 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/22 (1794)
    * No. 37 in D minor, Hoboken 15/23 (1794)

Three trios (H. 24-26) dedicated to Rebecca Schroeter:
    * No. 38 in D major, Hoboken 15/24 (1795)
    * No. 39 in G major, Hoboken 15/25 (1795) "Gypsy"
    * No. 40 in F sharp minor, Hoboken 15/26 (1795)

Two standalone trios (H. 31,30):
    * No. 41 in E flat minor, Hoboken 15/31 (1797)
    * No. 42 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/30 (1797)

Three trios (H. 27-29) dedicated to Theresa Jansen:
    * No. 43 in C major, Hoboken 15/27 (1797)
    * No. 44 in E major, Hoboken 15/28 (1797)
    * No. 45 in E flat major, Hoboken 15/29 (1797)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

DavidW

I didn't realize that the trios had so much late paris/london era emphasis.  That is like more than half of them!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 11:31:20 AM
I didn't realize that the trios had so much late paris/london era emphasis.  That is like more than half of them!

Yeah, he like started them early, then laid off for a long time, and then started back with a vengeance. It's true the early ones are piano sonatas with help form the strings. The later ones aren't though, even though he still billed them as such. The strings are pretty much obbligato. I like 'em. Say, don't you have a disk by the Bartolomeo Trio with some late trios on it? Thought you did... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:

DavidW

I have Levin and friends, that must be what you're thinking of.  I also have some random cd of Trio 1790 (I think! I might have sold it)

and then the Beaux Arts Trio and the van Swieten Trio box sets. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 07, 2010, 11:46:02 AM
It's true the early ones are piano sonatas with help form the strings. The later ones aren't though, even though he still billed them as such. The strings are pretty much obbligato.

haha the early ones: I'll play the piano, you putzes just strum along in the background. ;D