Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2011, 02:34:02 PM
Yeah, might as well play it safe, Dave. I'm afraid that waiting until the 16th will probably knock me out of the running for the last copy (#7).  If you take Q's list of the contents and look at your Baryton set, the listings will be the same. My guess is that he simply gave the baryton part to the Bassett Horn in full confidence that it was an instrument that would greatly outlive the baryton... :D

Gurn - guess that I'll 'bite' on that disc - $14 at one of the Amazon MP sites - looking forward to the contents!  Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on February 05, 2011, 03:00:55 PM
Gurn - guess that I'll 'bite' on that disc - $14 at one of the Amazon MP sites - looking forward to the contents!  Dave  :D

I'll be curious to hear, Dave. The Trio di Bassetto is excellent, I have them playing some Mozart and Stadler works. Also, I've been thinking lately about wearing a rose like that angel on the cover... ::)   :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of Ancient Music / Schröder  Hogwood - K 320alt Symphony in D from Posthorn Serenade 1st mvmt - Adagio maestoso - Allegro con spirito
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2011, 03:06:15 PM
I'll be curious to hear, Dave. The Trio di Bassetto is excellent, I have them playing some Mozart and Stadler works. Also, I've been thinking lately about wearing a rose like that angel on the cover... ::)   :D

Yep - that cover is kind of goofy w/ the cherubs (even a Baroque image!) - I'm sure that our Papa Haydn would not have been pleased, but who knows - I'm sure he had a good sense of humor (any info on that, BTW?) - Dave  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on February 05, 2011, 03:13:01 PM
Yep - that cover is kind of goofy w/ the cherubs (even a Baroque image!) - I'm sure that our Papa Haydn would not have been pleased, but who knows - I'm sure he had a good sense of humor (any info on that, BTW?) - Dave  ;D

Oof, tough call. I can't imagine anything otherwise, since he was pleased to hang out with Mozart, for example, and he frequently tweaks people in his letters, but most of the 'evidence' is inferential. I'm sure he would have liked ME though... ;D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of Ancient Music / Schröder  Hogwood - K 320alt Symphony in D 2nd mvmt - Andantino

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2011, 03:06:15 PM

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of Ancient Music / Schröder  Hogwood - K 320alt Symphony in D from Posthorn Serenade 1st mvmt - Adagio maestoso - Allegro con spirito

Hi, Gurn. IIRC some time ago your signature showed new covers every week or something so. But currently the covers are always the same.

It was fun to see different covers from your collection.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 05, 2011, 03:17:05 PM
Hi, Gurn. IIRC some time ago your signature showed new covers every week or something so. But currently the covers are always the same.

It was fun to see different covers from your collection.  :)

Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my dotage. I shall try to do better though. Not like I haven't scanned thousands of covers to put in there... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Academy of Ancient Music / Schröder  Hogwood - K 320alt Symphony in D 2nd mvmt - Andantino

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2011, 03:19:41 PM
Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my dotage. I shall try to do better though. Not like I haven't scanned thousands of covers to put in there... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Well, that's understandable. Incredibly we need to let some time to live like normal people.   :)

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 05, 2011, 10:03:03 AM
And you know, it is quite interesting that Haydn did arrange these himself. Guessing here that he found them totally unusable in their Baryton incarnation. Many of the trios were arranged for string trio, which I feel was a less successful venture. That wasn't by Haydn though.

I did get the impresion from the blurp at K617 that thes arrangements were by Haydn himself, but now after re-reading I'm not that sure: that is not said by so many words. The arrangements seem at least to have been around for some time - I've seen a recording with a version for clarinets. Maybe your Haydn libbrary has more details, Gurn? Or else we might have to wait for Dave (sonic) to fill us in on the details on the provenance of these pieces.

Anyway, it is clear however that all three parts are performed on a basset-horn. An odd looking instrumetn but it sounds really cool! :)

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on February 06, 2011, 02:34:34 AM
I did get the impresion from the blurp at K617 that thes arrangements were by Haydn himself, but now after re-reading I'm not that sure: that is not said by so many words. The arrangements seem at least to have been around for some time - I've seen a recording with a version for clarinets. Maybe your Haydn libbrary has more details, Gurn? Or else we might have to wait for Dave (sonic) to fill us in on the details on the provenance of these pieces.

Anyway, it is clear however that all three parts are performed on a basset-horn. An odd looking instrumetn but it sounds really cool! :)

Q

No, I just read something a few days ago about trios being arranged for bassett horn by Haydn. Let me see if I can find it now. :)   It wasn't 3 bassett horns though, I don't think. It was a bassett horn replacing the baryton. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Solti 1972 - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 1st mvmt - Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 06, 2011, 05:58:26 AM
No, I just read something a few days ago about trios being arranged for bassett horn by Haydn. Let me see if I can find it now. :)   It wasn't 3 bassett horns though, I don't think. It was a bassett horn replacing the baryton. :)

Gurn - I'll be curious - last night I tried to match up the trio numbers that Q provided to the ones in the BIG baryton box, but the key signatures were different (of course, these may have been changed by Haydn or a 'pseudo-Haydn' to adapt to the other instrument?) - but the order is placed, so may arrive sometime this coming week (shipping from FL) - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on February 06, 2011, 06:25:57 AM
Gurn - I'll be curious - last night I tried to match up the trio numbers that Q provided to the ones in the BIG baryton box, but the key signatures were different (of course, these may have been changed by Haydn or a 'pseudo-Haydn' to adapt to the other instrument?) - but the order is placed, so may arrive sometime this coming week (shipping from FL) - Dave  :D

Well, transposition would be my surmise too, Dave. I see that they are all transposed down either 1 or 2 tones, so that makes sense. Probably the high notes on the bassett horn just aren't high enough!   :)   Oddbanana is a good vendor, IMO, I can see you having that  by Wednesday!  At least it wasn't MovieMars... ::)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Solti 1972 - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 3rd mvmt - Adagio molto e cantabile

Klaze

Hello, lurker coming out of haydn' here...

I did not have much interest in Haydn, nor in his string quartets, but recently picked up a CD of the Kodaly Quartet and liked it enough to listen more of these pieces, also as a result of hearing some samples of the Quatuor Festetics (encountered while lurking in this thread).

Anyway, I seem to have managed to acquire a 2nd hand CD _not_ discussed on this thread (!): Op.64 played by the Quatuor Festetics on Harmonia Mundi/Quintana, which I understand is a different recording from the ones on the Arcana label. I like it so far (and have nothing to compare it to yet anyway) but I was just wondering if anyone here knows how this compares, in general or in specifics, to their recordings on the Arcana label? Is it similar in playing style and mostly a difference in the recording itself...or?

Thanks in advance.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Klaze on February 08, 2011, 01:32:27 PM
Hello, lurker coming out of haydn' here...

I did not have much interest in Haydn, nor in his string quartets, but recently picked up a CD of the Kodaly Quartet and liked it enough to listen more of these pieces, also as a result of hearing some samples of the Quatuor Festetics (encountered while lurking in this thread).

Anyway, I seem to have managed to acquire a 2nd hand CD _not_ discussed on this thread (!): Op.64 played by the Quatuor Festetics on Harmonia Mundi/Quintana, which I understand is a different recording from the ones on the Arcana label. I like it so far (and have nothing to compare it to yet anyway) but I was just wondering if anyone here knows how this compares, in general or in specifics, to their recordings on the Arcana label? Is it similar in playing style and mostly a difference in the recording itself...or?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Klaze, welcome aboard!

I have a couple of the HM disks, Op 33 & 42 in the re-release with the white front like Musique d'Abord (in fact, they are, although they still say Quintana on them) disks have, and an original of Op 77 on Quintana with that flowery cover. I don't have specifically the Op 64 though. In any case, this is the difference; the HM were recorded several years before the Arcana ones. Clearly the players were less accomplished, and I have read about significant numbers of intonation issues on some performances. I happen to like mine in both sets, since I like the more youthful joie de vivre of the earlier ones, despite the potential for less than perfection. For me, musicality trumps perfection unless it is so obvious as to be a distraction. And that is not the case here. :)

8)

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 08, 2011, 03:05:04 PM
Hi, Klaze, welcome aboard!

I have a couple of the HM disks, Op 33 & 42 in the re-release with the white front like Musique d'Abord (in fact, they are, although they still say Quintana on them) disks have, and an original of Op 77 on Quintana with that flowery cover. I don't have specifically the Op 64 though. In any case, this is the difference; the HM were recorded several years before the Arcana ones. Clearly the players were less accomplished, and I have read about significant numbers of intonation issues on some performances. I happen to like mine in both sets, since I like the more youthful joie de vivre of the earlier ones, despite the potential for less than perfection. For me, musicality trumps perfection unless it is so obvious as to be a distraction. And that is not the case here. :)

8)

That wouldn't have been earlier in this Thread when people like **** and ****** we eating the QF alive (as I recall, it waaas the Arcana they were pickin' out of their teeth ::) ;D). I'm jus' saying,... you know the wolves will be here shortly! :o Why not warn our new friend not to wave the red meat?!! :P 8)

FacePalm: I hope we're not going to go through thaaat again, haha!

btw- I wasn't aware of an Op.64. Intriguing. But seriously,... how is the intonation?

I hear horses approaching!

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
As for the Schuppanzigh, I haven't seen a word about them yet. That looks like something to investigate though, since I have heard some good things about them. :)

8)

Wolves...with a pulse, no, meant to say "worth a purchase"  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/v/ET66F5GboBo

[asin]B001NG3QBA[/asin]
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: snyprrr on February 08, 2011, 06:27:21 PM
That wouldn't have been earlier in this Thread when people like **** and ****** we eating the QF alive (as I recall, it waaas the Arcana they were pickin' out of their teeth ::) ;D). I'm jus' saying,... you know the wolves will be here shortly! :o Why not warn our new friend not to wave the red meat?!! :P 8)

FacePalm: I hope we're not going to go through thaaat again, haha!

btw- I wasn't aware of an Op.64. Intriguing. But seriously,... how is the intonation?

I hear horses approaching!

Actually no, it was in a long review of the Arcana Op 9 set when the reviewer started out with a recap of the HM Op 9 set.  The review seemed fair and balanced, so I suspect that the issues actually existed in the first set, and the claim that they provided the impetus for making the second set (well, that and $$$) is probably valid. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on February 09, 2011, 03:03:50 AM
Wolves...with a pulse, no, meant to say "worth a purchase"  ;)

[asin]B001NG3QBA[/asin]

I have gotten both Vol. 1 & 2 since that post. Really do like them too. I have heard of a volume 3 but not seen it yet in the USA. I'll get it too!

8)

snyprrr

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 09, 2011, 04:24:56 AM
I have gotten both Vol. 1 & 2 since that post. Really do like them too. I have heard of a volume 3 but not seen it yet in the USA. I'll get it too!

8)

Where did they come from? Have I seen them on Amazon?? Will have to check. In case of no info, what SQs are on these vols.?

snyprrr

btw- we are getting tantalizingly close to Page 42!! ;)

chasmaniac

Wow, a whole thread on Haydn's 4s, and I've only just found it!

The Lindsays renditions of opp. 71 and 74 are what drew me to classical music in the first place, and these remain my favourite pieces, with honourable mentions to opp. 20, 42, 64, 76 and 77, plus all the ones I haven't mentioned.

These compositions define balanced expression in musical form. O my!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217