Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 link= :D=54.msg562732#msg562732 date=1316908768
I would pay a little extra for the chance to touch.... :)

8)

;D  :D   ;D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2011, 05:06:31 PM
Why no No. 1?

Oh, I see now, it is 2-4, so my previous answer was incorrect. And even the standard answer, that it reflects the actual order of composition (like in Opp 20, 33, 64 etc) doesn't hold true for Op 76, which is composed in the order given, 1-6. So, it must be eccentricity then. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2011, 05:06:31 PM

The first Haydn quartets I heard were on that Eder disc (reissued on Apex) - good stuff :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey

Thanks for the effort, Gurn.  I may crack open the notes, but, meh.   :)  Agree LDP.  Very sharp playing here....razor sharp.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Now, here's one for all you HIP Hogwood Homies!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 25, 2011, 06:06:48 PM
Now, here's one for all you HIP Hogwood Homies!

Yup, gotta agree, that's a peach. I just got it last week, my surprise of the month for September. :)

Here's another for the homies;

My favorite opus of SQ's. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 25, 2011, 06:12:02 PM
Yup, gotta agree, that's a peach. I just got it last week, my surprise of the month for September. :)

Is it a different recording from his aborted integral? If so, ahh how did I miss that.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 25, 2011, 06:15:31 PM
Is it a different recording from his aborted integral? If so, ahh how did I miss that.

I had read somewhere a few years back that the integral was aborted in mid-process. Of the already recorded items, BBC was going to buy the rights and publish them. Since this disk would have been disk 1 of Volume 11, and it is on BBC label, I have to believe that is the story of it. I only wish I knew whether there were any others hanging out there, or if this is it... :-\

8)

Bogey

Relative dropped by for dinner tonight:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 27, 2011, 07:52:37 PM
Relative dropped by for dinner tonight:

And what sort of impression did he make? I've always liked his music, but he hasn't been given the most sympathetic portrayals it seems. Bournemouth Sinfonietta have always seemed like a solid little orchestra. :)

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 25, 2011, 06:15:31 PM

These are recordings licensed from Decca, recorded in 1996.
Are 77 & 76 not part of the 10 extant volumes?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on September 28, 2011, 05:42:12 AM
These are recordings licensed from Decca, recorded in 1996.
Are 77 & 76 not part of the 10 extant volumes?

No, volume 10 ended with Hob I:75. SO 76 & 77 would have been disk 1 of Vol 11. Have you seen any others of these orphans, Jens?

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 28, 2011, 05:59:21 AM
No, volume 10 ended with Hob I:75. SO 76 & 77 would have been disk 1 of Vol 11. Have you seen any others of these orphans, Jens?

8)

No... must be the last recordings for the Decca project that were never published. Interesting. Also kind of crazy, in retrospect, to pull the plug on the project... instead of somehow continuing it, live if necessary. Or perhaps too bad Hogwood hasn't the commercial wherewithal of Ton Koopman or Elliot Gardiner with their respective Bach-ventures.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on September 28, 2011, 06:22:23 AM
No... must be the last recordings for the Decca project that were never published. Interesting. Also kind of crazy, in retrospect, to pull the plug on the project... instead of somehow continuing it, live if necessary. Or perhaps too bad Hogwood hasn't the commercial wherewithal of Ton Koopman or Elliot Gardiner with their respective Bach-ventures.

Yes, the 10 volumes out now are one of my great treasures. I can't imagine the factors leading to that decision. They were just arriving at the most salable works when they pulled out! The Paris/Chunnel/Londons boxes would have outsold the entire 10 to that point. IMHO, it's insane. :-\

8)

Lethevich

If only they foresaw the current "complete set" mania - then they might have thought differently ;D

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 28, 2011, 04:24:46 AM
And what sort of impression did he make? I've always liked his music, but he hasn't been given the most sympathetic portrayals it seems. Bournemouth Sinfonietta have always seemed like a solid little orchestra. :)

8)

I am just bummed that Solti never recorded them. 8)

Bogey

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Pettersson on September 28, 2011, 12:38:59 PM
If only they foresaw the current "complete set" mania - then they might have thought differently ;D

I emailed Hogwood's folks some time back....they thought the completion would never happen.  However, they were nice enough to send me an autographed photo of Chris.  Not an autograph kind of guy....prefer a handshake, but still kind of cool to have.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 28, 2011, 04:45:49 PM
I am just bummed that Solti never recorded them. 8)

Don't toy with me, Bill...   :D

Did Solti do much chamber orchestra work?  0:)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 28, 2011, 04:48:44 PM
Don't toy with me, Bill...   :D

Did Solti do much chamber orchestra work?  0:)

8)

If he did, you know he went HvK on it! ;D