Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on September 30, 2011, 05:13:52 PM
Here are four more under consideration....anyone have opinions on Huss:

Sure. I have all 4 of those (plus the 2 biggies, "Music for Naples and Esterhazy" and "Complete Divertimentos" and "Complete Overtures"). Huss is the ultimate Haydn scholar/musician and a personal favorite of mine. His BIS disks are the heart of my collection, actually, at least as far as "off the beaten path" Haydn goes. Playing is excellent, and SQ is typical BIS, despite that they got some of the earlier stuff from Koch/Schwann, their remasterings were superb. Bottom line, I spent way more money on the complete Huss than I normally would do, and don't regret a bit of it. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on September 30, 2011, 05:00:00 PM
Not I. The only familiar name to me there is Miah Persson, a wonderful soprano who specializes in Classical Era repertoire. The Mozarteum Orchestra never sucks, that's the most I can add... :-\

Same here. The only familiar name to me is Topi Lehtipuu. Some weeks ago I bought a Naïve disc from the Vivaldi Edition entitled "Arias for Tenor", where Lehtipuu sings accompanied by Diego Fasolis and his gang. This is one of those arias - the beautiful illustrations are by Dante Gabriel Rossetti:

http://www.youtube.com/v/L3NtTCnI3rg

Leo K.

Speaking of Haydn vocal works, I'm IN LOVE with this disk of arias...a great survey for someone like me just learning Haydn's vocal works  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on October 01, 2011, 07:03:14 AM
Speaking of Haydn vocal works, I'm IN LOVE with this disk of arias...a great survey for someone like me just learning Haydn's vocal works  8)

Yes, that's an excellent disk. When I got it I didn't know anything about "insertion arias" so that was a surprise for me to discover. Beautifully played too. I also discovered that when it was combined with this disk:

I had 99% of all of Haydn's. Great stuff. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 01, 2011, 07:10:17 AM
Yes, that's an excellent disk. When I got it I didn't know anything about "insertion arias" so that was a surprise for me to discover. Beautifully played too. I also discovered that when it was combined with this disk:

I had 99% of all of Haydn's. Great stuff. :)

8)

I've gotta explore Huss's recordings!  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on October 01, 2011, 07:25:10 AM
I've gotta explore Huss's recordings!  8)

Cream of the crop.... :)  Especially since they represent the only recording option for many works.

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 30, 2011, 09:23:20 PM
Same here. The only familiar name to me is Topi Lehtipuu. Some weeks ago I bought a Naïve disc from the Vivaldi Edition entitled "Arias for Tenor", where Lehtipuu sings accompanied by Diego Fasolis and his gang. This is one of those arias - the beautiful illustrations are by Dante Gabriel Rossetti:

I first encountered him on the Monteverdi CD which Haim recorded with Villazon ("Combattimento"), where he was the second tenor;  he also sings Lurcanio in the new Ariodante from Curtis/Complesso Barocco.    If he appears on a recording,  I would take it as a sing of good quality.

ETA: SIGN of good quality.  But the typo is too good to delete.

Bogey

Starting with some piano sonatas from my Brilliant set...

HOB XVI:

Bart van Oort fortepiano
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on October 02, 2011, 07:41:01 AM
Starting with some piano sonatas from my Brilliant set...

HOB XVI:

Bart van Oort fortepiano

Nice choice, Bill. You are really covering a time span there, since 16 is from 1756, 41 is sonata #55 from 1783, and the rest are all somewhere in between. Nice cross-section of stylistic progress. :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 02, 2011, 07:46:36 AM
Nice choice, Bill. You are really covering a time span there, since 16 is from 1756, 41 is sonata #55 from 1783, and the rest are all somewhere in between. Nice cross-section of stylistic progress. :)

8)

Beautiful stuff....here are the dates on the back notes:

41 (1782/84)
16 (Before 1766)
2 (Before 1766)
32 (1776)
46 (1768)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on October 02, 2011, 07:51:43 AM
Beautiful stuff....here are the dates on the back notes:

41 (1782/84)
16 (Before 1766)
2 (Before 1766)
32 (1776)
46 (1768)

Yeah, that's the "beauty" of dealing with Haydn's music. If you check 10 different sources you will get 10 different dates.  :D

"Before 1766" showed up all the time in older sources. I think (although I don't have it to check from) that Hoboken used it starting in the late 1950's to indicate things he just didn't know. Haydn started keeping his hand written catalog of his works in 1766, and so anything that doesn't show up there is clearly "Before 1766". Later research has nailed a bunch of them down, but certainly not all. The last 4 years have been frustrating for me... :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 02, 2011, 07:59:08 AM
Yeah, that's the "beauty" of dealing with Haydn's music. If you check 10 different sources you will get 10 different dates.  :D

"Before 1766" showed up all the time in older sources. I think (although I don't have it to check from) that Hoboken used it starting in the late 1950's to indicate things he just didn't know. Haydn started keeping his hand written catalog of his works in 1766, and so anything that doesn't show up there is clearly "Before 1766". Later research has nailed a bunch of them down, but certainly not all. The last 4 years have been frustrating for me... :D

8)

I knew you would have better sources at your fingertips.  $:)    My goal is to actually listen to this entire box set in the 6 months or so.  However, I am going to just pick and choose pieces as opposed to doing them in any chronological or categorical order.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on October 02, 2011, 08:03:02 AM
I knew you would have better sources at your fingertips.  $:)    My goal is to actually listen to this entire box set in the 6 months or so.  However, I am going to just pick and choose pieces as opposed to doing them in any chronological or categorical order.

:)

That's an excellent way to do it, actually. Which box is it, Bill? The great huge one or the box of keyboard sonatas by Oort et al? I don't have that one, just the big one. Anyway, if all the disks are set up like this first one, then you will get to hear early and late on each one, which will be interesting indeed. Please let us know what you are thinking as you progress through. I think some (many) of those works are outstanding, yet virtually unheard of. :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 02, 2011, 08:08:04 AM
:)

That's an excellent way to do it, actually. Which box is it, Bill? The great huge one or the box of keyboard sonatas by Oort et al? I don't have that one, just the big one. Anyway, if all the disks are set up like this first one, then you will get to hear early and late on each one, which will be interesting indeed. Please let us know what you are thinking as you progress through. I think some (many) of those works are outstanding, yet virtually unheard of. :)

8)

Its the honker:

Gurn Blanston

Bogey

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on October 02, 2011, 08:42:12 AM
Some violin concerto action now:

1, 4, and 3 (HOB VIIA)

Federico Guglielmo (Gennaro Gagliano, Naples 1757)
L'Arte dell'Arco (on period instruments)

Here is one from 1750:

Cool site:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/uploads/02-mim-exponate/violine_gagliano_popup.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/bildergalerie_mim_sammelschwerpunkte_763.html&usg=__-D__w-ZMqcYaCo4R5J-hPurjSig=&h=649&w=484&sz=40&hl=en&start=6&zoom=1&tbnid=xJcUsvcmCAguCM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=102&ei=RZOITuyZJJGutweh-bEw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGennaro%2BGagliano%2B1775%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26rlz%3D1I7ADFA_enUS439%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Sonic Alert, Sonic Alert!!   Dave, you need to check out this link!  :D

Wow, Bill, that's a nice site. Beautiful instruments. I see lots of old keyboards and fiddles, but the other stuff is thin on the ground.

8)

Leo K.

Wow. What an amazing disk! I have neglected to tackle Haydn's earliest string quartet works, and now I can see what a MISTAKE that was! I didn't expect such deep feeling, such nuance and beauty in these early works.

I am floored!  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on October 02, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

Wow. What an amazing disk! I have neglected to tackle Haydn's earliest string quartet works, and now I can see what a MISTAKE that was! I didn't expect such deep feeling, such nuance and beauty in these early works.

I am floored!  8)

Know what you mean, Leo. When he wrote those 10 divertimentos back in the late '50's, he never really visualized how popular they would be with other musicians. There are hand-written parts all over Europe that other string players copied and brought along, before the publishers got wind of them. By the time they were published in the early 1760's, they were already well known among players. I really like them myself, they get a lot of playtime here at Casa Blanston. :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 02, 2011, 09:31:17 AM
Know what you mean, Leo. When he wrote those 10 divertimentos back in the late '50's, he never really visualized how popular they would be with other musicians. There are hand-written parts all over Europe that other string players copied and brought along, before the publishers got wind of them. By the time they were published in the early 1760's, they were already well known among players. I really like them myself, they get a lot of playtime here at Casa Blanston. :)

8)

Suddenly, I am struck by a previously-unknown-to-me aspect of string quartet history...fascinating stuff! There are always epiphanies that go with this era of music  8)