Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on October 09, 2011, 02:09:40 PM
Rolling No. 3 out from this set:

I have seen the movie Eroica....enjoyed it.  However, wanted to know what you know about LvB's and Haydn's actual meetings with one another.  Did Haydn actually hear the premier of this No. 3.....was he actually quoted?  What is fact and what is legend?

Bill,
I assume you are talking about this little gem?

QuoteAfter hearing the 'Eroica',  Haydn is alleged to have said, 'music now will never be the same'!

Karl Geiringer, in his (modern) biography of Haydn (A Creative Life in Music), and in The Oxford Composer Companion to Haydn by David Wyn Jones, there is no mention whatsoever of this tale. Not even to debunk it. My guess is that it is one of those things that really sounds like a great story, so it will be retold even if merely apocryphal.

However, that being said, Haydn should have said it. It's true, after all. I just don't thing he was that prescient. :D

8)

EDIT:
PS - This page from The Raptus Association site (if you are a Beethoven fan, you really should know this site!!) discusses the 2 premiers of Eroica. Haydn is again unmentioned. :-\

http://raptusassociation.org/eroicaeauffuehrungsgesch.html
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 09, 2011, 02:43:45 PM
Hmm.. hhmmm. Ah, you like then? The Gurnatron 5500TM comes through again. :)

Hi Gurn - yes, sir! :)

But will have to re-listen to the Gardiner - it's been a while!  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 09, 2011, 02:59:47 PM
Hi Gurn - yes, sir! :)

But will have to re-listen to the Gardiner - it's been a while!  Dave

As much as I like the Gardiner, I think upon re-listening that you will agree that it seems to be being readied for Westminster Abbey (or at least Winchester Cathedral). Weil is playing for a chapel packed full with 30 listeners. Only one is historically accurate... 0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 09, 2011, 03:04:28 PM
As much as I like the Gardiner, I think upon re-listening that you will agree that it seems to be being readied for Westminster Abbey (or at least Winchester Cathedral). Weil is playing for a chapel packed full with 30 listeners. Only one is historically accurate... 0:)

8)
Accurate Schmakurate! :) I want my masses big with bombast. I want the thunder and lighting to be smoking through my speakers! I want, I want, I want to be a lumberjack!!!!!    :-*

PS: will look at Weil too.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 09, 2011, 10:39:10 PM
Accurate Schmakurate! :) I want my masses big with bombast. I want the thunder and lighting to be smoking through my speakers! I want, I want, I want to be a lumberjack!!!!!    :-*
PS: will look at Weil too.

;D  That's fine by me. As I mentioned, I like the Gardiner too, they are fine, large performances. It all depends what one is looking for, I think.

Ooh, you're so manly! Tell me, do you cut down trees?  :D

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 10, 2011, 04:29:27 AM
Tell me, do you cut down trees?  :D

8)

And wear high heels? They see quite a bit of that in the mountains of British Columbia, or so I hear.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 10, 2011, 04:29:27 AM
Ooh, you're so manly! Tell me, do you cut down trees?  :D

8)
Quote from: chasmaniac on October 10, 2011, 05:17:45 AM
And wear high heels? They see quite a bit of that in the mountains of British Columbia, or so I hear.
Only when I'm looking for wild flowers! And I can't wait to go shopping on Wednesday...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 09, 2011, 10:39:10 PM
Accurate Schmakurate! :) I want my masses big with bombast. I want the thunder and lighting to be smoking through my speakers! I want, I want, I want to be a lumberjack!!!!!

If you want the most manly masses, Harnoncourt is your...man  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 10, 2011, 05:42:31 AM

Sarge
Now that is a great picture!!  ;D  I tip my cap to you sir!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 10, 2011, 05:42:31 AM

Sarge

;D  Y'all 'r' a hoot, Sarge. A talented hoot, of course, but a hoot nonetheless. :D

8)

Leo K.

I hereby declare Richard Brautigam's Haydn sonata set my favorite sonata cycle! Wow! A stunning set!

Opus106

Ronald will be disappointed to hear that, Leo. ;)

Listening to the 'Sonata for violin and piano, with cello guy occasionally bowing a few lines' (Hob. XV/31). I wanted to listen to something to rather cheerful before going to bed and chose this one since the CD cover confidently states that it begins in E-flat major in three different languages.* ::) Well, the second movement is quite different compared to the first and is jolly enough for me.

*Truth: E-flat minor.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on October 12, 2011, 10:24:21 AM
I hereby declare Richard Brautigam's Haydn sonata set my favorite sonata cycle! Wow! A stunning set!

Yes, R(onald) is nearly untouchable, especially in the late works. There is a demand there for power to go along with musicality, and that plays to his strong suit. My only problem with him comes as you work back through time to the ones written for the harpsichord and clavichord, where his strong suit (and his instrument) is less suited to the music. No knock on him, of course, it is hard to find anyone who can play music written over nearly 50 years of time with the development of instruments and musical ideas, and be equally strong in the entire spectrum. I note that some who excel in the earlier works are left gasping at Hob XVI:52.... :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on October 12, 2011, 10:34:22 AM
Ronald will be disappointed to hear that, Leo. ;)

Listening to the 'Sonata for violin and piano, with cello guy occasionally bowing a few lines' (Hob. XV/31). I wanted to listen to something to rather cheerful before going to bed and chose this one since the CD cover confidently states that it begins in E-flat major in three different languages.* ::) Well, the second movement is quite different compared to the first and is jolly enough for me.

*Truth: E-flat minor.

:D  Yes, not a whole lot of works written in eb, I suspect they must have thought it a typo. :D   Nice piece though, haven't figured out the Jacob's Ladder reference, although I can live with that. :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Opus106 on October 12, 2011, 10:34:22 AM
Ronald will be disappointed to hear that,

Haha! I always make that mistake! :)

@Gurn, I have to admit, I kinda prefer Haydn's early sonatas on the fortepiano! :-X :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on October 12, 2011, 11:09:41 AM
@Gurn, I have to admit, I kinda prefer Haydn's early sonatas on the fortepiano! :-X :)

Yeah, I used to also, until I went through an extended period of cembalo and clavier.  Hard to go back now. Which is not to say that they don't sound just fine, I just think that what we get ourselves used to becomes our new ideal.  :)

8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Leo K on October 12, 2011, 11:09:41 AM
Haha! I always make that mistake! :)

I'd incline to that mistake because of the writer, Richard Brautigan (Trout Fishing in America, &c.)

Leo K.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 12, 2011, 11:21:50 AM
I'd incline to that mistake because of the writer, Richard Brautigan (Trout Fishing in America, &c.)

Ah ha! That must be why! I happen to have Richard Brautigan's work on my bookshelf :)

TheGSMoeller

Thought I would share this with the Haus-mates.
The real treat is at 3:45 when they replay the finale for an encore.

http://www.youtube.com/v/WlURvraEmeY

Gurn Blanston

That's excellent, Greg!

I may have mentioned here before, but I don't mind; this was my very first Haydn symphonies CD, and it remains to this day one of my very favorites. It is cool to actually see it performed. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
The Gamerith Consort - Hob 15_15 Trio in G for Fortepiano, Flute & Cello 1st mvmt - Allegro