Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Bogey on November 12, 2011, 06:30:59 AM
Pretty much all you need to know: :D

....Mozart's Last Aria is a magnificent historical mystery that pulls back the curtain on a world of soaring music, burning passion, and powerful secrets.

I thought the sub-title (which, curiously, is placed on top) sufficed. :D
Regards,
Navneeth

Bogey

Quote from: Opus106 on November 12, 2011, 06:35:21 AM
I thought the sub-title (which, curiously, is placed on top) sufficed. :D

Oh yes, much better! :D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Wife and I enjoying this one....a lot.  From the notes:

....the very model for classical string quartet was clearly made by Haydn's famous set Opus 33,....
Other quartets written before this were not at all composed with a concept of a unified musical style in mind.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Leon

I remember when I first here this recording,

[asin]B00002587G[/asin]

I am pretty sure I borrowed it from the library, I was not impressed and did not like the sound of the forte-piano.  Unfortunately, I did not go back to it until now even after years have passed and my appreciation of period instruments has grown to the point of that I vastly prefer those recordings to the other kind.  Now, listening to it, this recording, while not my favorite in these works, impresses me a great deal.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 12, 2011, 03:35:06 PM
I remember when I first here this recording,

[asin]B00002587G[/asin]

I am pretty sure I borrowed it from the library, I was not impressed and did not like the sound of the forte-piano.  Unfortunately, I did not go back to it until now even after years have passed and my appreciation of period instruments has grown to the point of that I vastly prefer those recordings to the other kind.  Now, listening to it, this recording, while not my favorite in these works, impresses me a great deal.

:)

I've tended to avoid Collegium Aureum, only because people have said some neutral/negative things about them, but I really like Demus and Linde, so I went ahead and picked this one up. Thanks for the recommendation, Arnold. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Andrea Folan; Tom Beghin - Hob 26a_09 Lied for Soprano and Fortepiano "Trost unglücklicher Liebe"
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Part 9

Time to plow onwards, I reckon. :)

1760 finds Haydn still working for Morzin, and trying to get a grip on where his newfound married state has left him. Probably at a bout the same time for each, he discovered that his marriage was a tragic error and his spendthrift boss, Morzin, had spent himself out of house and home, leaving his Kapellmeister without home or income. Despite this bit of adversity, from which he would eventually more than land on his feet, 1760 was the most prolific year for music so far. Morzin was very musical and wanted to be surrounded with it all the time, and Haydn had the talent, constantly being honed, to provide him with good variety.

The music of 1760:

Hob 01_005 Symphony in A   
Hob 01_011 Symphony in Eb
Hob 01_017 Symphony in F   
Hob 01_019 Symphony in D
Hob 01_025 Symphony in C
   The Hanover Band / Goodman
Hob 01_032 Symphony in C
Hob 01_107 Symphony "A" in Bb   
        Academy of Ancient Music / Hogwood

Hob 02_15 Divertimento a sei in F for 2 Oboes, 2 Bassoons & 2 Horns   
Hob 02_16 Divertimento a octo in F for 2 Violins, 2 Cors Anglaise, 2 Bassoons & 2 Horns   
Hob 02_21 Divertimento a sei Stromenti in Eb for Strings & 2 Horns
Hob 02_22 Divertimento a sei Stromenti in D for Strings & 2 Horns   
Hob 02_23 Feldparthie  in F for 2 Oboes, 2 Bassoons & 2 Horns
   Haydn Sinfonietta Wien / Huss

Hob 03_07 Divertimento in A for Strings Op 2 #1   
        Piccolo Concerto Wien
Hob 03_08 Divertimento in E for Strings Op 2 #2   
        Hamburg Soloists / Emil Klein

Hob 05_D1 Divertimento á tre in D for 2 Violins & Bass
Hob 05_D3 Divertimento á tre in D for 2 Violins & Bass
Hob 05_G1 Divertimento á tre in G for 2 Violins & Bass
   Das Wiener Philharmonia Trio

Hob 14_03 Concertino in C for Keyboard, 2 Violins & Baßo
Hob 14_07 Divertimento in C for Keyboard, 2 Violins & Baßo
Hob 14_09 Divertimento in F for Keyboard, 2 Violins & Baßo
Hob 14_11 Concertino in C for Keyboard, 2 Violins & Baßo
   L'Arte dell'Arco / Loreggian

Hob 15_36 Trio in Eb for Keyboard & Strings   
Hob 15_f1 Trio in f for Keyboard & Strings
   Trio 1790

Hob 16_02 Sonata #11 in Bb for Keyboard
   Ulrika Davidsson
Hob 16_06 Sonata #13 in G for Keyboard
   Christine Schornsheim
Hob 16_11 Sonata #5 in G for Keyboard
   Yuko Wataya

As you see, quite a new variety among the divertimentos, with 2 for string quartet and 2 horns (these are the ones that originally shed their horn parts and joined Op 2). Also one that has 2 English Horns instead of 2 Oboes. It is a treat too, the unusual, rich sound of the Cor Anglaise is always a pleasure.

Note also that there is a new genre here. That is represented by Hob 14. It is, for all intents and purposes, a keyboard quartet. As he often did, Haydn called it a divertimento, or in a few cases a 'concertino'. That is a difficult one to divine, since there isn't much in structure or anything else to make it a "little concerto", but this disk by L'Arte dell'Arco / Loreggian is a welcome addition to the PI fold. Very nicely played.

8)

----------------
Now playing:
L'Arte dell'Arco \ Loreggian (Cembalo) - Hob 14_07 Divertimento in C for Cembalo, 2 Violins & Baß 2nd mvmt - Menuet - Trio

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jared

^^ thank you very much for that wonderfully informative post...  8)

Just popped in to say how delighted I am with this purchase...

I'm on my first run through and its delightful... surely one of Hickox's crowning achievements..  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 03:46:01 AM
^^ thank you very much for that wonderfully informative post...  8)

Just popped in to say how delighted I am with this purchase...

I'm on my first run through and its delightful... surely one of Hickox's crowning achievements..  :D

You're welcome. Hope you will continue to join us for future episodes. :)

I am also quite in your corner on that box. It isn't to everyone's taste, apparently, but I am delighted with it in most cases, and wouldn't want to be without it. It is indeed one of his crowning achievements, I wish he had also managed to finish his London Symphony cycle before he passed. I enjoy the 2 disks that he managed to get done.

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 08:17:40 AM
I am also quite in your corner on that box. It isn't to everyone's taste, apparently, but I am delighted with it in most cases, and wouldn't want to be without it.

"Surely not I, Master?"  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 08:26:07 AM
"Surely not I, Master?"  8)

Well, you are in line, of course... :D But I actually got that box at no charge to myself because the original purchaser didn't like it and offered it to me. I was (and still am) delighted to get it, but feelings are mixed by some few misguided souls... :D :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Ferenc Fricsay - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 3rd mvmt - Adagio molto e cantabile

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 08:30:19 AM
Well, you are in line, of course... :D But I actually got that box at no charge to myself because the original purchaser didn't like it and offered it to me. I was (and still am) delighted to get it, but feelings are mixed by some few misguided souls... :D :D

I have also enjoyed Hickox for several years, Gurn. And still I do. But, fortunately, today we have some extra HIP alternatives.  :)

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 08:30:19 AM

I would be intrigued to hear what the detractors have to say...

I also have his three Hummel Mass disks and his LvB Mass in C, all of which I enjoy a great deal... very strong, quality line-up of soloists and fabulous recording quality..  :)

Jared

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 08:38:19 AM
I have also enjoyed Hickox for several years, Gurn. And still I do. But, fortunately, today we have some extra HIP alternatives.  :)

Yes, I agree, there never has been a better time to be listening to HIP versions of these masterworks, although Pinnock, Gardiner & Hickox at present take up the largest presence in my very small collection for this period..  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 08:38:19 AM

I knew that, just is just such fun to call you a misguided soul...  I will be ordering the Rebel box Tuesday, coincidentally the same day that the Beghin sonatas box comes available. That duo should have the the postman dragging. :)

8)

Jared

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 08:17:40 AM
You're welcome. Hope you will continue to join us for future episodes. :)

Gladly, although I'm not sure just how seriously I should take the comments of a self-professed Bach detractor...  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 08:43:35 AM
Gladly, although I'm not sure just how seriously I should take the comments of a self-professed Bach detractor...  ;D

That merely enhances my credibility.   ;)  It insures that I'm wide-awake for Haydn, not having to shake off Bach first... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; Ferenc Fricsay - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 4th mvmt pt 2 - Presto - 'O Freunde, nicht diese Töne' - Allegro assai

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 08:42:36 AM
I knew that, just is just such fun to call you a misguided soul...  I will be ordering the Rebel box Tuesday, coincidentally the same day that the Beghin sonatas box comes available. That duo should have the the postman dragging. :)

8)

The Rebel box has a curious history of getting recorded.  The long time director of the Trinity choir was let go before the series of masses was completed (I think they lacked 2 or 3 to do) under somewhat unsavory circumstances.  There was some concern about unity of interpretation by some reviewers before the box actually came out, but judging from all the positive comments, despite having a different conductor for the last few works it has not impacted negatively on the set.

If you care about the how and why Owen Burdick was fired, the New York Times ran his explanation in 2009.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on November 13, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
The Rebel box has a curious history of getting recorded.  The long time director of the Trinity choir was let go before the series of masses was completed (I think they lacked 2 or 3 to do) under somewhat unsavory circumstances.  There was some concern about unity of interpretation by some reviewers before the box actually came out, but judging from all the positive comments, despite having a different conductor for the last few works it has not impacted negatively on the set.

If you care about the how and why Owen Burdick was fired, the New York Times ran his explanation in 2009.

Thanks for that interesting article, Arnold. Well, at least they replaced him in the last 3 masses with a fine Haydn conductor in Jane Glover. I have some of her Haydn Symphonies with the London Mozart Players and they are very good. True, one would like to see continuity of thought and concept from beginning to end, but it doesn't see to have had any adverse effect here. If Antoine says it, I know it's so. :)

8)

Jared

^^ Ok, I have two questions for you to get your teeth into.

1) I own the Trevor Pinnock version of Haydn 'Stabat Mater' but would like another one to contrast it with. Which would you go for, bearing in mind I'm not much of a Harnoncourt fan?

2) A friend is sending me the Harnoncourt choral version of 'Seven Last Words' as a freebie to try and convert me, but I'd like to compare it against another version when it arrives... which would you recommend.

I have a version of each residing in my Amazon basket, let's see if you pick the same ones, or persuade me otherwise..  ;)

Meanwhile, thread duty:

disk 1...  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 09:04:51 AM
^^ Ok, I have two questions for you to get your teeth into.

1) I own the Trevor Pinnock version of Haydn 'Stabat Mater' but would like another one to contrast it with. Which would you go for, bearing in mind I'm not much of a Harnoncourt fan?

2) A friend is sending me the Harnoncourt choral version of 'Seven Last Words' as a freebie to try and convert me, but I'd like to compare it against another version when it arrives... which would you recommend.

I have a version of each residing in my Amazon basket, let's see if you pick the same ones, or persuade me otherwise..  ;)

Meanwhile, thread duty:

disk 1...  8)

Well, not as easy as it might seem, since those 2 versions are the ones that I use in my main 'set'. The only other 'Stabat Mater' I have is the one in the Big Box, and I haven't even listened to it yet. However, I can help you with the Seven Last Words. There is an excellent disk on Naive here:

I like the Harnoncourt a lot, and was essentially too lazy so far to make a change, but this one is very nice, and the first contender that I've run across in the PI arena.

8)