Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Well Gurn,

Stabat Mater: I have the Laszlo Heltay recording on Decca in the basket... seems to come out near the top of comparative reviews, having some strong soloists...

Seven Last Words: Yep, you've got the one in the basket, right there... read some good things about that one, and your recommendation seals it..  :D

Many thanks

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 09:54:31 AM
Well Gurn,

Stabat Mater: I have the Laszlo Heltay recording on Decca in the basket... seems to come out near the top of comparative reviews, having some strong soloists...

Seven Last Words: Yep, you've got the one in the basket, right there... read some good things about that one, and your recommendation seals it..  :D

Many thanks

Ah, well even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes. :)  Can I assume that Heltay is a modern instrument/classic version? I freely admit that I simply don't know any of those. The field from which to choose does indeed get larger when you let them into it though. And no harm done (unless, like me, you pride yourself on having an all-PI collection). :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jared

^^ actually I don't believe it is in the truest sense, as its fairly traditional (which is OK by me, being as I have the Pinnock to contrast it with) however it has been done with Chamber forces and boasts Auger and Rolfe Johnson as soloists...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Stabat-Mater-J/dp/B0007WW2FC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3W401GUYM6MLO&colid=31GWJ6HHKNUV3

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 10:11:35 AM
^^ actually I don't believe it is in the truest sense, as its fairly traditional (which is OK by me, being as I have the Pinnock to contrast it with) however it has been done with Chamber forces and boasts Auger and Rolfe Johnson as soloists...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Stabat-Mater-J/dp/B0007WW2FC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3W401GUYM6MLO&colid=31GWJ6HHKNUV3

:)

Ah, you're right, great soloists. I'd take a chance on it for my backup too. Just to hear the lovely Arleen warble again. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Jared on November 13, 2011, 09:04:51 AM

Have this on cd....love it enough that I may piece together a vinyl set.

And, coming back to this 33.  My fave is the 77, but this is giving it a serious run.

Quote from: Bogey on November 12, 2011, 07:52:46 AM

Wife and I enjoying this one....a lot.  From the notes:

....the very model for classical string quartet was clearly made by Haydn's famous set Opus 33,....
Other quartets written before this were not at all composed with a concept of a unified musical style in mind.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 02:54:32 PM
Have this on cd....love it enough that I may piece together a vinyl set.

And, coming back to this 33.  My fave is the 77, but this is giving it a serious run.

Op 33 was his first set that was intended for public consumption. during the contract talks of 1780/81, Haydn was granted the opportunity to publish his own works. It is my belief that the difference in the quartets is not only due to his improvement as a composer in the 10 years since Op 20, but also because his intended audience was entirely different; i.e. - it was now the world at large. And he responded to it with a set that not only combined popular and learned styles, but had some certain crowd-pleasing elements that really made them stand out. He reverted a bit in Op 50, his next set, but Op 33 turned off to be probably the most popular set during his lifetime. I like it a lot too. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 03:44:50 PM
Well, I did it:

:-[ :-X :-\ :'( 8) :o

Cor! That was... big! I am sitting here trying to think of a bigger contrast to your favorite set and coming up blank. :)  I have Op 50 and 76 in that cycle. Now I'm sitting here trying to think of a bigger contrast to MY favorite set (coincidentally the same as yours). Still blank. :D  Hey, you will survive this. Herman did. And see? He's still... Herman.   :o

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 03:44:50 PM
Well, I did it:

:-[ :-X :-\ :'( 8) :o

Outstanding!  I have about three more installments to get before I have the complete run.  If you enjoy it half as much as I do, you will love it! ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Digging the piano trios.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 13, 2011, 04:45:26 PM
Digging the piano trios.

And rightly so, Karl. Who is playing them for you?

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 03:50:30 PM
Cor! That was... big! I am sitting here trying to think of a bigger contrast to your favorite set and coming up blank. :)  I have Op 50 and 76 in that cycle. Now I'm sitting here trying to think of a bigger contrast to MY favorite set (coincidentally the same as yours). Still blank. :D  Hey, you will survive this. Herman did. And see? He's still... Herman.   :o

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
Outstanding!  I have about three more installments to get before I have the complete run.  If you enjoy it half as much as I do, you will love it! ;D

I have thought in this set for a long time. I almost purchased it two years ago, when the sale of Abeille Musique; but I didn't. Now I found a complete set conveniently priced, so I just pulled the trigger.... I'm thinking about this and I'm still a bit scared.  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 04:47:17 PM
And rightly so, Karl. Who is playing them for you?

8)

Ye Van Swieten Trio, O Gurn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: karlhenning on November 13, 2011, 04:56:09 PM

I frequently think this is the best complete set ever recorded by Brilliant Classics; but then I recall that it was probably braver to record all those gorgeous discs with music for baryton.  :)

Bogey

Now on vinyl....set me back 2 bones the other night:

I am surprised of how much it does not remind me of Klemperer. ;D  Enjoyable.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 04:54:10 PM
I have thought in this set for a long time. I almost purchased it two years ago, when the sale of Abeille Musique; but I didn't. Now I found a complete set conveniently priced, so I just pulled the trigger.... I'm thinking about this and I'm still a bit scared.  ;D

:D  Kinda like when I bought my first opera. I kept it on the shelf for a year, bought and read a libretto and commentary, thought about it, thought about it, finally played it! Damned if I didn't really like it too. Well, it was Figaro after all. :)  I don't know though, I'll be interested to hear your reaction. You can PM me about it if you prefer... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the 18th Century / Frans Brüggen - Hob 01_090 Symphony in C 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro assai

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 13, 2011, 04:56:09 PM

Ah yes. Of course, my fading memory strikes again. :)  Have you moved forward in time yet from when we last spoke?  I am curious to your reaction to the deceptively numbered 6-8. Early favorites of mine.  :)
Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 05:04:08 PM
I frequently think this is the best complete set ever recorded by Brilliant Classics; but then I recall that it was probably braver to record all those gorgeous discs with music for baryton.  :)

Yes, it is awfully good. I think if one could have just one set, and didn't care about harpsichord in the early ones, that would be the set to have. Very nicely played and recorded. Brilliant has come a long way since my first box of Complete Dvorak String Quartets!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:07:50 PM
Now on vinyl....set me back 2 bones the other night:

I am surprised of how much it does not remind me of Klemperer. ;D  Enjoyable.

:D Bill, you are even crueler than I am. :D  2 great works though, hard to not enjoy!

You know, those Hogwood symphony disks started out on vinyl too. You might have a go at digging out 1 or 2 of those. Bet you would like 'em!  :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 05:14:35 PM
:D Bill, you are even crueler than I am. :D  2 great works though, hard to not enjoy!

You know, those Hogwood symphony disks started out on vinyl too. You might have a go at digging out 1 or 2 of those. Bet you would like 'em!  :)

8)

Oh....did not know they made the vinyl cut.  I will be on the look out for them.  This Klemperer is quite good.  I wonder how many he recorded of Haydn's?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:17:17 PM
Oh....did not know they made the vinyl cut.  I will be on the look out for them.  This Klemperer is quite good.  I wonder how many he recorded of Haydn's?

Sorry, I'll have to defer to someone who knows vinyl AND knows Klemp. I am neither. :-\

8)