Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 05:19:56 PM
Sorry, I'll have to defer to someone who knows vinyl AND knows Klemp. I am neither. :-\

8)

I am guessing just these:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=188206

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Listening to The Clock as I type.  That third movement is what made me dig into Haydn.  One of my classical watershed moments.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 05:07:55 PM
:D  Kinda like when I bought my first opera. I kept it on the shelf for a year, bought and read a libretto and commentary, thought about it, thought about it, finally played it! Damned if I didn't really like it too. Well, it was Figaro after all. :)  I don't know though, I'll be interested to hear your reaction. You can PM me about it if you prefer... :D

It's my own biography! But in my case the opera is still on the shelf. And this is not figurative: I own just one Mozart opera - Don Giovanni, conducted by Jacobs and bought about 18 months ago - but I have not heard it yet.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:21:06 PM
I am guessing just these:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=188206

I note they don't mention when it was recorded. I'm sure someone will tell us that the New PO makes it between 1970 and his death, or whatever the true facts are. :)   Nice variety there of the late works.

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:22:49 PM
Listening to The Clock as I type.  That third movement is what made me dig into Haydn.  One of my classical watershed moments.

Not hard to see why, that's a lovely movement. For me it was the 2nd movement of #100. I had one of Elgarian's 'dancing around the room' gob-smacking moments there. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Recording dates: 1964 to 1971.

This on the Klemperer efforts from an Amazon review:

Now, what about the performances? As already indicated, they are simply excellent. Unlike later and dry authenticist recordings, these creamy and delicately balanced performances sparkle and glow. It's pure musical pleasure throughout. \

'Dem are fightin' words!  ;D

Ooooooooooo....looking about, I see Bohm tried his hand as well. 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 05:27:25 PM
It's my own biography! But in my case the opera is still on the shelf. And this is not figurative: I own just one Mozart opera - Don Giovanni, conducted by Jacobs and bought about 18 months ago - but I have not heard it yet.  :)

:D  Cool! I thought it was just me, the way people carry on about opera here. I listen to quite a bit now, but I am still wary of anything not by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven. Let me tell you though, you are safe with Jacobs' DG. It is superb, and really, it is just a huge sonata in d minor. The singing isn't even OTT, this ain't at all like Verdi and Company.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the 18th Century; Frans Brüggen - Hob 01_091 Symphony in Eb 1st mvmt - Largo - Allegro assai

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:29:12 PM
Recording dates: 1964 to 1971.

This on the Klemperer efforts from an Amazon review:

Now, what about the performances? As already indicated, they are simply excellent. Unlike later and dry authenticist recordings, these creamy and delicately balanced performances sparkle and glow. It's pure musical pleasure throughout. \

'Dem are fightin' words!  ;D

Ooooooooooo....looking about, I see Bohm tried his hand as well. 8)

See, he can't just say they are shamelessly post-Romantic without also saying that later, HIP/PI performances are dry. Just can't do it. And here I thought that Klemp was just all wet. My bad  ::)    :D :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 05:14:35 PM
:D Bill, you are even crueler than I am.

Well, you know I like my Haydn HIP a la Hogwood, but I enjoy it just as well when someone tries to turn him into sounding like Beethoven....hence my love of the Beaux Arts Trio and the Tátrai Quartet. ;D  Hope this does not frighten you even more Antoine.  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:37:39 PM
Well, you know I like my Haydn HIP a la Hogwood, but I enjoy it just as well when someone tries to turn him into sounding like Beethoven....hence my love of the Beauxe Arts Trio and the Tátrai Quartet. ;D  Hope this does not frighten you even more Antoine.  :D

I have an easier time with the BAT than the Tatrai. But I just have a really hard time, no matter how well played, to hear a grand piano playing a part that I know so well on the clavichord. It is so different in conception. The Tatrai play with glacial tempi for my taste. They play wonderfully well, but it seems to wring the joy out somehow. I like the party that the Festetics are having instead. :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 05:41:55 PM
I have an easier time with the BAT than the Tatrai. But I just have a really hard time, no matter how well played, to hear a grand piano playing a part that I know so well on the clavichord. It is so different in conception. The Tatrai play with glacial tempi for my taste. They play wonderfully well, but it seems to wring the joy out somehow. I like the party that the Festetics are having instead. :D

8)

Like I said.....Beethoven! :D

Bogey

When it comes to Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, I enjoy a spectrum of interps.  Just how I roll.  Save HvK for Haydn....that's just....well.... ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 05:49:15 PM
When it comes to Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, I enjoy a spectrum of interps.  Just how I roll.  Save HvK for Haydn....that's just....well.... ;D

You can say it, it's sinful. And yet Bernstein seems to get it. Although he drives the VPO, and sticks to late works. Still, he seems to be in on the joke. HvK.... not so much. "What joke? >:( "     :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

You guys are scaring me... Anyway, I will always have the AMP (nah, I have never sold a disc in my entire life, excepting when I was stupid enough to sell all my cassettes).   :-\ :(

Bogey

Now for some Haydn (vinyl) from Sarge's hometown hero.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 06:05:18 PM
You guys are scaring me... Anyway, I will always have the AMP (nah, I have never sold a disc in my entire life, excepting when I was stupid enough to sell all my cassettes).   :-\ :(

:)  No, really, that DG is a wonder. No scaring there.

Of course, the other stuff isn't news to you really. You are very flexible, Antoine. Hell, you even listen to Bach! :o :o  You can do this. And like our similar opera histories; I have never sold a disk either. Not sure how I would go about it. I keep my mistakes as reminders to think before pushing the button... :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 13, 2011, 06:05:18 PM

Collectors at record shows are always looking for these, Antoine.  The 8-tracks are huge as well.  I do not quite get it, but then look what I sometimes bring home.

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 06:10:40 PM
:)  No, really, that DG is a wonder. No scaring there.

Of course, the other stuff isn't news to you really. You are very flexible, Antoine. Hell, you even listen to Bach! :o :o  You can do this. And like our similar opera histories; I have never sold a disk either. Not sure how I would go about it. I keep my mistakes as reminders to think before pushing the button... :D

8)

And what may be a mistake now a few years down the road can turn into enjoyable listens (see my Mahler collection for details ;D).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 06:08:43 PM
Now for some Haydn (vinyl) from Sarge's hometown hero.

Well, that's well spoken of. #88 is one of my Top 5 Haydn symphonies. If you aren't really familiar with it, dig in and have seconds even. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the 18th Century; Frans Brüggen - Hob 01_092 Symphony in G 4th mvmt - Presto

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 13, 2011, 06:13:59 PM
Well, that's well spoken of. #88 is one of my Top 5 Haydn symphonies. If you aren't really familiar with it, dig in and have seconds even. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the 18th Century; Frans Brüggen - Hob 01_092 Symphony in G 4th mvmt - Presto

With Szell as the conductor, or the 88 in general?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 13, 2011, 06:19:12 PM
With Szell as the conductor, or the 88 in general?

#88 in general. You can take it as given that I almost never deal with specific performances (unless asked).

"The music is great, no matter who you like in it" is my motto. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Orchestra of the 18th Century; Frans Brüggen - Hob 01_105 Sinfonia concertante in Bb 2nd mvmt - Andante