Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 20, 2011, 05:26:56 PM
I wasn't aware about this. Great!

Well, we also have Guglielmo/L'Arte dell'Arco in the big box. It's embarrasing, but I bought this disc after purchasing the big box because I thought it was not included there.  :-[ So now I have two copies.

I have von der Goltz/Freiburger Baroque Orchestra too and I think they really suck. I prefer - by far - Müller-Brühl and his people playing on modern instruments. BTW, his soloist Agustin Hadelich is a great violinist, who plays these concertos in the most virtuosistic way that I have heard. When I listen to those interpretations, I'm constantly thinking: "fatto per il luigi".  ;D 

Yes, now for the last few years, Standage is the Concertmaster of this band. I think the combination of him and Huss is a great one. I just listened to that version since your last post and liked it more than ever! I also listened to Van der Goltz, have to agree with you there. Relatively speaking, the orchestra provides nearly all the excitement (they can't help it, good band). I don't really care though, I bought that disk for the symphonies that are on it (49 & mostly 80) and they don't disappoint! I really must take out that Walffisch disk and listen, it has been a long time since I did so. I do like her playing a lot though, she is very fine in so many ways. Same with the Podger, which I got for the Mozart Sinfonia Concertante. She is another top fiddler and with a good group. :)

QuoteIn short, I would say: Wallfisch: beautiful tone and balance - Hadelich: impassioned and virtuosistic - Von der Goltz: boring - Guglielmo: chamber music. 

I shall hold you to that. :D

QuoteIt sounds just perfect to me, as all these dates are extremely uncertain and debatable. 

:)

The dating aspect of Haydn is one of the most difficult things to get right. He was no help, often not writing anything down, and also so many of his autographs got destroyed by fire or simply given away. It is little help when many places only give a date like "Before 1766". Well, that is a large time span! I still have a folder in there of some works that are certainly genuine, but there is not even an offered idea of a date. Since I sort everything by date, that leaves a gap or two in the system!  :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03_77 Quartet in C for Strings Op 76 #3 3rd mvmt - Menuet: Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 20, 2011, 05:45:01 PM
Yes, now for the last few years, Standage is the Concertmaster of this band. I think the combination of him and Huss is a great one. I just listened to that version since your last post and liked it more than ever!

Excellent! It's an unexpected bonus. Anyway, I need to wait some three or four weeks. You know, the problems of living in this ultima Thule:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 20, 2011, 05:56:45 PM
Excellent! It's an unexpected bonus. Anyway, I need to wait some three or four weeks. You know, the problems of living in this ultima Thule:)

And here I thought that Texas was the end of the world! As we say here, it isn't the world's rectum, however, you can see that from here. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 19, 2011, 12:26:54 PM
Anyone who is interested in the Hakkila '7 Last Words' on clavichord (Alba), I was able to get it here in the USA at ArkivMusik. It makes up for not being inexpensive by being available.  No one else seemed to even list it!

Hey Gurn - been away several times & doing some house remodeling so not as much on the computer, but now back! :)

Will go through your last few temporal installments shortly, but the disc above peaked my interest - I am quite fond of the clavichord but have only a small collection (including Tuma doing Bach's WTC I & II on the instrument - on the Arta label) - short but excellent review HERE of the Hakkanen performance w/ comments made on excellent liner notes; and I love the cover art (my favorite painting of the Crucifixion by Grunewald)!

Now, the disc is available from ClassicsOnline (HERE for half the price but MP3 files plus no booklet?  Will try to decide today which route to go?  Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 20, 2011, 09:28:08 AM
Part 12 - 1763

Hob 07a_01 Concerto in C for Violin
Hob 07a_03 Concerto in A for Violin
   The English Concert / Pinnock  Standage

Hob 07b_1 Concerto in C for Cello   La Petite Bande / Kuijken  Suzuki
Hob 07b_1 Concerto in C for Cello   Tafelmusik / Lamon Bylsma

The lad was busy that year! IMO, the masterpiece of the year was the Cello Concerto #1. Written for his first chair cello and close friend Joseph Weigl, it was one of the very early Classical concertos that is still very much in the repertoire today. As you see, I have a couple of versions of it posted, since I simply can't choose between them. Yet another is that of Queyras with the Freibourg Baroque. A great enough work to merit several versions. :)

I enjoy the Cello & Violin Concertos - own the 2 cello discs shown above; also have Miklos Perenyi w/ the Liszt Ferrenc CO (Rolla) in the 7 disc 'Cello Concertos' Brilliant box - not sure I'm as happy w/ those latter performances - will do some back-to-back comparisons this afternoon!

For the violin works, just have 1 disc - Guglielmo and his group (pic added above) - enjoy & recommended - period performances and some quite good reviews, one reprinted HERE for those interested; guess that I could use 'another' version of the violin concertos - will add to my wish list!  :)

Leo K.

Hi Gurn, and all! I am catching up here this morning, on the last day of my Honeymoon  :-* I've been away cause I just got Married!  :-* Now, settling in back home and getting ready for returning to work tomorrow  :'(

I'm excited to hear Haydn's violin concertos for the first time later today (the Standage/Pinnock account), since I love the cello concertos so much. I'm also hearing the early Esterhazy symphonies from my new Haydn (Dennis Russell Davies account) box and enjoying those immensely.

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Leo K on November 21, 2011, 10:22:07 AM
Hi Gurn, and all! I am catching up here this morning, on the last day of my Honeymoon  :-* I've been away cause I just got Married!  :-* Now, settling in back home and getting ready for returning to work tomorrow  :'(

8)
Oh! Congratulations! That is wonderful news! I guess you weren't Haydn the news! :)  (That makes it on topic you see! :) )
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 21, 2011, 07:54:11 AM
Hey Gurn - been away several times & doing some house remodeling so not as much on the computer, but now back! :)

Will go through your last few temporal installments shortly, but the disc above peaked my interest - I am quite fond of the clavichord but have only a small collection (including Tuma doing Bach's WTC I & II on the instrument - on the Arta label) - short but excellent review HERE of the Hakkanen performance w/ comments made on excellent liner notes; and I love the cover art (my favorite painting of the Crucifixion by Grunewald)!

Now, the disc is available from ClassicsOnline (HERE for half the price but MP3 files plus no booklet?  Will try to decide today which route to go?  Dave

Hey, Dave!

I noted your absence, good to see you back for a while (maybe).

I have been really listening to a lot of Klavier in recent years, I've got to where I prefer it to most other keyboard instruments. ::) 

I buy all my Haydn disks. Many others I am happy with the MP3's...

You're right, that's a great painting. First time I've seen the cover, that'll be nice to have on the shelf. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

I'm excited to hear Haydn's violin concertos for the first time later today (the Standage/Pinnock account), since I love the cello concertos so much. I'm also hearing the early Esterhazy symphonies from my new Haydn (Dennis Russell Davies account) box and enjoying those immensely.
8)

Congratulations, Leo! I knew that was coming up, but I guess I lost track of time. Good thing you didn't! :D

Some good listening coming your way then. I feel like a couple of the VC's are more on the Baroque side than the Classical, but let's be honest, there was no Classical VC role model in existence at the time, so it had to start somewhere. But the C major has some great work for the soloist, it's a great start for a tradition. :)  When you get to Symphony #12, give it a good listen. It is particularly nice among the early ones. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 21, 2011, 08:30:56 AM
I enjoy the Cello & Violin Concertos - own the 2 cello discs shown above; also have Miklos Perenyi w/ the Liszt Ferrenc CO (Rolla) in the 7 disc 'Cello Concertos' Brilliant box - not sure I'm as happy w/ those latter performances - will do some back-to-back comparisons this afternoon!

For the violin works, just have 1 disc - Guglielmo and his group (pic added above) - enjoy & recommended - period performances and some quite good reviews, one reprinted HERE for those interested; guess that I could use 'another' version of the violin concertos - will add to my wish list!  :)

Dave, you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that you were considering the Huss Divertimento set. If you indeed go that way, there is a very nice VC #1 in there, played by Standage. That may be all you need, along with the Guglielmo. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

This afternoon I listened to the Last Seven Words performed on clavichord by Aapo Häkkinen, via NML. Wow! What an intimate, painful version. It's really mandatory for every good Haydnian.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 21, 2011, 12:07:55 PM
This afternoon I listened to the Last Seven Words performed on clavichord by Aapo Häkkinen, via NML. Wow! What an intimate, painful version. It's really mandatory for every good Haydnian.  :)

I can scarcely wait to get mine. You make it all the more alluring, Antoine!  :)  The whole concept of 7 adagios played on a clavichord just appeals at a deeper level. I can see Haydn composing them, that's what he used when he composed, the clavier next to his desk. So despite that the 'official' arrangement was only 'approved by' Haydn, still, they were played on a clavier long before that day ever came.   0:)

Haydnisto Gurn
8)

SonicMan46

HEY LEO!  Congratulations on your wedding!  Sorry about the letdown of returning to work - :(

Susan (i.e. Harpo) & I honeymooned in Bermuda for a week in July (way back in 1970 - WOW!) - coming back we returned to Ann Arbor, MI to start my 4th year in medical school, so not work but a HELL of a change!

Best wishes & good luck to both of you!  Dave  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 21, 2011, 10:56:53 AM
Dave, you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that you were considering the Huss Divertimento set. If you indeed go that way, there is a very nice VC #1 in there, played by Standage. That may be all you need, along with the Guglielmo. :)

Gurn & Antoine - I went ahead and ordered the 'regular' CD of the clavichord version of the '7 LWords' - could not resist that cover art nor the description of the booklet notes by the performer - as suggested by Gurn, purchased from ArkivMusic (added some more discs on my list to averaged out the shipping charge).

Already obtained the Huss Divertimenti set (have not checked back on this thread but may have mentioned it already - this thread is going at a fast pace!) - agree that it is an excellent recording and have enjoyed multiple listenings already!  Dave :)

Antoine Marchand

Congratulations, Leo! All the best for you and your wife in the years to come.  :)

chasmaniac

8)

Congrats, Leo!

Your namesake
<<--------------- (Leo),
wishes the two of you a long life of kibble and bellyrubs together.  :D
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leo K.

Sincere Thanks to you all for the good tidings! My wife enjoyed your messages too!

Speaking of The Last Seven Words, I am just getting to know this work through the original orchestral version on the Jordi Savall account (his second recording of it) recorded in the original venue! This is a sublime work indeed. Seven adagios! As a fan of Haydn's adagio movements I think I am in heaven. WOW.

I MUST check out the clavichord account from Hakkinen! I will probably download it from the site that Dave linked us to.

I have the choral version (Harnoncourt) and a harpsichord version (Rosana Lanzelotte)in my collection but haven't listened yet because I wanted to hear the orchestral version first, and I found the Savall account and got it immediately :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on November 21, 2011, 06:20:44 PM
Sincere Thanks to you all for the good tidings! My wife enjoyed your messages too!

Speaking of The Last Seven Words, I am just getting to know this work through the original orchestral version on the Jordi Savall account (his second recording of it) recorded in the original venue! This is a sublime work indeed. Seven adagios! As a fan of Haydn's adagio movements I think I am in heaven. WOW.

I MUST check out the clavichord account from Hakkinen! I will probably download it from the site that Dave linked us to.

I have the choral version (Harnoncourt) and a harpsichord version (Rosana Lanzelotte)in my collection but haven't listened yet because I wanted to hear the orchestral version first, and I found the Savall account and got it immediately :)

Best wishes to your lovely lady, Leo. Possibly she will become a great Haydnista one day. :)

Interesting, I hadn't heard a harpsichord version either. Of course, they were still around by 1787, but getting thin on the ground. Clavichords stuck around a bit longer since they were such useful tools for composers. Sadly they, too, disappeared within a few years. Possibly as a last acquisition in this particular work, you will want to hear the string quartet version. That was actually my introduction to it. It doesn't have the powerful pathos of the orchestral version, but it is nonetheless very satisfactory. :)

Cheers!
8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03_83 Quartet in d for Strings Op 103 3rd mvmt - Menuet ma non troppo presto

Leo K.

Thanks Gurn!

By the way, this is the harpsichord recording I found as a download online (an out of print disk):

Seems interesting and will listen soon :)

I am excited to hear that Hakkinen too though ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on November 21, 2011, 06:33:36 PM
Thanks Gurn!

By the way, this is the harpsichord recording I found as a download online (an out of print disk):

Seems interesting and will listen soon :)

I am excited to hear that Hakkinen too though ;)

Yes, it does seem interesting. I will cast about for it. One never knows. I didn't expect to find Hakkinen either, and yet... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Robert Levin; Vera Beths; Anner Bylsma - Hob 15_27 Trio #43 in C for Piano & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro