You fiendish Hadynistas!

[asin]B0002U9G9E[/asin]

Ka-ching!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 08:56:48 AM
You fiendish Hadynistos!

[asin]B0002U9G9E[/asin]

Ka-ching!

Feedback required when you have it, Karl. We have some MI aficionados here too. Hope it doesn't sound like they're playing Dvorak... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Wouldn't call it at all Dvořák-like, Gurn, though it's certainly 'juicier' than one would demand of a PI account.  I decided to start at the end of this box, with the Op.74 quartets.  My response to the music is: Great stuff!  So I am inclined to attribute this in part to musically successful execution.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

chasmaniac

Are they RIDING, Karl? Wish I could hear it right now.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

chas, I've not yet got to the g minor quartet . . . but I shall, ere the day is done!

So the earliest opus number in this box (setting momentarily aside the doubt that this is chronologically reliable) is the Op.51 — in other words, an arrangement of Die sieben letzen Worte.  Seems a special case, and deserving of its own attention . . . so I may jump back instead to the Op.54 quartets . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 09:55:33 AM
Wouldn't call it at all Dvořák-like, Gurn, though it's certainly 'juicier' than one would demand of a PI account.  I decided to start at the end of this box, with the Op.74 quartets.  My response to the music is: Great stuff!  So I am inclined to attribute this in part to musically successful execution.

Ah, didn't realize you already had it, thought it was freshly ordered. Cool. Juicy, eh? Well, that's OK, if they can sell it, they are doing it justice. :)
Quote from: chasmaniac on December 05, 2011, 10:01:59 AM
Are they RIDING, Karl? Wish I could hear it right now.

:D Me too!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Had to edit my half-remembered German ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 05, 2011, 10:03:21 AM
chas, I've not yet got to the g minor quartet . . . but I shall, ere the day is done!

So the earliest opus number in this box (setting momentarily aside the doubt that this is chronologically reliable) is the Op.51 — in other words, an arrangement of Die sieben letzen Worte.  Seems a special case, and deserving of its own attention . . . so I may jump back instead to the Op.54 quartets . . . .

Yes, that's precisely what I would do. Pity there is no Op 50 in there.... :-\

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 05, 2011, 10:04:57 AM
Ah, didn't realize you already had it, thought it was freshly ordered. Cool.

Aye, they have three copies (well, now they've got only two) at the FYE on Washington Street.  They're running a Renovation Sale, so there's 30% off all Classical . . . plus I've got the 10% loyalty program discount.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 05, 2011, 10:05:43 AM
Yes, that's precisely what I would do. Pity there is no Op 50 in there.... :-\

The limitations of the brick-&-mortar shops!  But (a) I'm surprised that the selection is overall as rich as it is there, and (b) it won't be, for much longer, as the plan must be to move whatever is to be left of the fourth & fifth floors down to the other floors.

They have the two-CD Op.76 quartets by the Quatuor Mosaïques on the shelf there, but I forbore, reckoning that I want the fuller late quartet set by that group.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The Andante grazioso of the Op.74 № 2 is especially dolce.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Shave.  And.  A.

Hair.

Cut.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

Any recommendations on an HIP set of the London symphonies?  I'm familiar with (the existence of) Minkowski's set, and I'm curious to see what else is out there.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 05, 2011, 04:00:09 PM
Any recommendations on an HIP set of the London symphonies?  I'm familiar with (the existence of) Minkowski's set, and I'm curious to see what else is out there.

As a full set, you would be surprised how few there are. Here is one, I have this as 5 individual disks, since only the Japanese were clever enough to box them all up as one:

[asin]B000EBDCUA[/asin]

You can get the Bruggen as 2 Philips Duos, but you have to do some shopping around or get raped gouged on the price.

[asin]B00005O840[/asin][asin]B00005LKEI[/asin]

I got mine off from eBay for around $15 each, but it took me a while. Frankly, I like the Kuijken a lot better. The Minkowski too.

Now, if you want to put singles together, there are a ton of them out there. A couple by Hogwood, 2 by Hickox, a couple by Goodman... none of them have a set, but together you can do satisfactorily. If there is 1 I don't have, I am unaware of it. If I think of more, I'll post them here. :)

[asin]B00000E2QS[/asin]
[asin]B000SNUI60[/asin][asin]B00004TD4Y[/asin][asin]B000050432[/asin]

8)

Geo Dude

Thanks for the information, Gurn.  Given the somewhat high price (double that of Minkowski on the market place), how do you feel about the Kuijken set?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 05, 2011, 04:19:42 PM
Thanks for the information, Gurn.  Given the somewhat high price (double that of Minkowski on the market place), how do you feel about the Kuijken set?

I like it a lot. Smallish band, very nice playing and tempos that seem ideal to me. I mix them all up a lot, which makes it harder for me to review them all like this. Probably I would rate them as follows (for MY taste):

Kuijken
Hogwood
Minkowski
Goodman (93, 94, 95, 100, 101, 102, 104 on Helios and Nimbus)
Hickox
Brüggen

You don't have to get the Kuijken in that box set. I bought mine over a 2 or 3 month period on the AMP for an average of <$10 ea. They show up fairly often, so if it isn't there this week, no telling that it won't be there next week. By being patient I have managed to amass a huge collection at a very reasonable price. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Goodman:

[asin]B00008JL6P[/asin][asin]B00008JL6N[/asin][asin]B00008FH2T[/asin]

8)

Geo Dude

Gurn, you haven't steered me wrong yet.  I'll look around for the Kuijken material.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 05, 2011, 05:35:50 PM
Gurn, you haven't steered me wrong yet.  I'll look around for the Kuijken material.

I wouldn't dare, you live too close by... :D  I don't think you will be disappointed. If you go the single disk route, you can always get one and see. If they are too... quiet for you, then you can bail and look at others. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller