Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 15, 2011, 04:49:24 PM
:(  If so, it will be new to me. Running through all lists and coming up blank. He was big on Easter though. :)

8)

Well, if we can't find one, we can stretch it a little bit.

Reading through the liner notes of the Naxos Masses box, it seems that the Missa in tempore belli was first performed on 26 December 1797.  The occasion had nothing to do with Christmas--apparently it was the ordination as priest of somebody or other who had an important father--but we can pretend otherwise, can't we?

And of course the Nikolaimesse would have been written for 6 December, although we're a tad late on that one already.

Karl Henning

From our perspective, wherein Christmas is a huge do which kicks off at the end of October, and a commercial concern which keeps many a business afloat, it may a strange thing seem . . . but it is a church Feast which was not always a big deal, even in Christendom.

Proof that it is a "secular holy day"? In Christianity, really it is Easter which is the center of the liturgical year, and of the Faith.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on December 16, 2011, 04:24:24 AM
From our perspective, wherein Christmas is a huge do which kicks off at the end of October, and a commercial concern which keeps many a business afloat, it may a strange thing seem . . . but it is a church Feast which was not always a big deal, even in Christendom.

Proof that it is a "secular holy day"? In Christianity, really it is Easter which is the center of the liturgical year, and of the Faith.

The Baroque was more Christmas-oriented than the Classical era.

But I firmly believe that both the Baroquers and the Classickers would have been appalled by our "Christmas"...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Gurn - Susan & I don't do opera but I have a few overture discs of several composers - however, that 2-disc Haydn collection w/ Huss on BIS is tempting and at a decent price on Amazon along w/ a supportive and positive review by a guy name Gurn Blanston;) ;D

Will add to my 'wish list' - Dave  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 15, 2011, 12:32:12 PM
Part 22

Another fine installment, Gurn, of your serialized mini Haydn biography. Much appreciated.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 16, 2011, 09:02:22 AM
Gurn - Susan & I don't do opera but I have a few overture discs of several composers - however, that 2-disc Haydn collection w/ Huss on BIS is tempting and at a decent price on Amazon along w/ a supportive and positive review by a guy name Gurn Blanston;) ;D

Will add to my 'wish list' - Dave  :)

I think you will like that Dave, it is up your alley! Really, they are more like high quality Italian Sinfonias, you know? Haydn hadn't (early times) got into the Mozart thing of incorporating themes from the arias and such into the overture. So they are just nice, one and two-movement orchestral works, identifiably Haydnische! :)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 16, 2011, 09:14:05 AM
Another fine installment, Gurn, of your serialized mini Haydn biography. Much appreciated.

Sarge

You are most welcome, Sarge. I am trying to get better at it and give some solid info. I think there is a lot more musicological info available than ordered biographical stuff. If it increases your enjoyment of the music, then it is OTT successful for me! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

I imagine I will be not the only Haydnisto interested in this new release:

[asin]B0062Z22DK[/asin]

It includes all the three violin concertos (Nos. 1, 3 & 4).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

[asin]B0062Z22DK[/asin]

Thanks, Antoine. I have pre-ordered it. Certainly something to look forward to. Carmignola must also be leading from the Konzertmeister chair while M. Herreweghe naps, eh? :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 16, 2011, 06:19:50 PM
Carmignola must also be leading from the Konzertmeister chair while M. Herreweghe naps, eh? :)

Yes, I think so. I don't easily imagine Herreweghe conducting Haydn. He's too stern.

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2011, 06:27:14 PM
Yes, I think so. I don't easily imagine Herreweghe conducting Haydn. He's too stern.

:)

Yes, I agree with that, although I am greatly fond of his Beethoven 9. That is a disk to have. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 16, 2011, 06:29:04 PM
Yes, I agree with that, although I am greatly fond of his Beethoven 9. That is a disk to have. :)

The violin concerto, right? Nice disc, indeed. But Beethoven was very serious about his own genius. He considered himself an Artist with capitals. On the other hand, our Papa was a simple craftsman wearing livery.  :)

Lethevich

Gurn, this biography series proves more and more helpful to me. I always knew that his ending of the S&D period of symphonies was just a stylistic choice rather than a 'decline', but I wasn't aware of quite how logical and neccessary that choice was given his day to day life - especially with the material reused from all the operas he suddenly had to compose. It's cool to know the impulse behind the change, rather than my previously "meh he just felt like something different" kind of assumption.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2011, 06:36:14 PM
The violin concerto, right? Nice disc, indeed. But Beethoven was very serious about his own genius. He considered himself an Artist with capitals. On the other hand, our Papa was a simple craftsman wearing livery.  :)

::)  No, not the 9th Violin Concerto, the 9th Symphony!  Same band. Yes, world of difference in attitude between those two! And you know, that was exactly the reason for the derision of Haydn in the 19th century. Apparently it was necessary to be full of oneself in that era. ::)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on December 16, 2011, 07:01:27 PM
Gurn, this biography series proves more and more helpful to me. I always knew that his ending of the S&D period of symphonies was just a stylistic choice rather than a 'decline', but I wasn't aware of quite how logical and neccessary that choice was given his day to day life - especially with the material reused from all the operas he suddenly had to compose. It's cool to know the impulse behind the change, rather than my previously "meh he just felt like something different" kind of assumption.

Lethe,
Thanks very much for the input. Just the sort of thing that helps me to decide whether to include something or not (can't put everything in, he got really old! :o :D ). Oddly enough (or not?), I labored under the same misconception for a long time, simply because reviewers would just say "well, the symphonies of the 1770's sure weren't the emotional equal of their predecessors..." without giving the slightest indication why. And of course, they couldn't get away from qualitative comparison despite the fact that it was totally subjective, thus meaningless. So researching it taught me that too! :)

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

[asin]B0062Z22DK[/asin]

I'm sure this will be a great disc, but let's not forget about this currently available budget release:

[asin]B002NWRMSQ[/asin]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 16, 2011, 09:49:25 AMI think there is a lot more musicological info available than ordered biographical stuff.

My favorite biographies strike a good balance between personal life and musicology. You're following in that tradition  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on December 17, 2011, 01:52:13 AM
I'm sure this will be a great disc, but let's not forget about this currently available budget release:

[asin]B002NWRMSQ[/asin]

That's the same cycle that came in Brilliant's Big Box. It is indeed a worthy disk (although the single disk releases of Big Box disks can be confusing sometimes... 'Do I have that?'). When you got the Biondi Mozart recently, we discussed somewhere the different approach of Italian HIP-PI's and German/Dutch/Brit HIP-PI's. I think Carmignola (one of the great fiddlers) will bring n interesting approach with him (just as all others do!). :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2011, 02:44:34 AM
My favorite biographies strike a good balance between personal life and musicology. You're following in that tradition  8)

Sarge

That is very kind of you, Sarge. Merci, Danke, gracias! :)

8)

Leo K.

Gurn, great stuff and I deeply appreciate your work!

Bravo!

8)

I'm listening to the Festetics Op.20 on your recommentation and WOW. I love the texture the period instruments and playing provide for these works! Great sounding recording! The C Major of the set is fast becoming my favorite quartet of all time, at least it always hovers at the top!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 17, 2011, 07:06:13 AM
Gurn, great stuff and I deeply appreciate your work!

Bravo!

8)

I'm listening to the Festetics Op.20 on your recommentation and WOW. I love the texture the period instruments and playing provide for these works! Great sounding recording! The C Major of the set is fast becoming my favorite quartet of all time, at least it always hovers at the top!
8)

Thanks so much, Leo. And I am delighted that you enjoy that Op 20. The music itself is impeccable, and that recording is just so entertainingly performed. I really like that #2 quartet too!

Cheers,
8)