Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
Sold. I hit the buy button at JPC (€59.99 for the box). This is turning out to be an expensive weekend  ;D

Sarge
Wow. It is $51 at Amazon (US) - I hadn't realized they had gotten that cheap. Talk about temptation!!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 18, 2011, 11:57:55 AM
Wow. It is $51 at Amazon (US) - I hadn't realized they had gotten that cheap. Talk about temptation!!!

I think it's safe to assume Haydn operas are some of the least popular items on the planet. Makes absolutely no sense but certainly profits us Haydnistas  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 18, 2011, 11:52:51 AM
Oh, this wicked, wicked Haus!

>:D  (it is rather bad, isn't it?)  0:)

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 18, 2011, 11:57:55 AM

It was introduced at $60 (actual, not MSRP) when it came out (2009), then shot up to the $80's for a while, and now has plummeted. Wait a bit longer until there aren't any left and it will be $500... :-\ 

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 12:01:55 PM
I think it's safe to assume Haydn operas are some of the least popular items on the planet. Makes absolutely no sense but certainly profits us Haydnistas  8)

Sarge

Strange but true. Not being an Italian speaker, and just being in it for the music, really, I can say that it is a big win for me. The music and singing are specially good. So what if the poetry sucks? I can't understand it anyway.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 18, 2011, 11:50:44 AM
I understand that there are books in German that discuss the operas fully and even provide librettos. IIRC, that's not a problem for you. :D

8)

Drool!

I have a couple of these Dorati Haydn operas on LP, so I have only two librettos/notes!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 18, 2011, 12:08:55 PM
It was introduced at $60 (actual, not MSRP) when it came out (2009), then shot up to the $80's for a while, and now has plummeted. Wait a bit longer until there aren't any left and it will be $500... :-\ 
I think I saw it higher than that, but I could be mixing up the price of the 2 smaller boxes added together. And what do you mean, wait?!?!  :o Seriously, there are 14 left at Amazon and 7 at Importcds + 8 at blowitoutahere, so I think one has time to make a purchase....

tick tock

tick tock

tick tock

ok, times up!! :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 18, 2011, 12:12:06 PM
Drool!

I have a couple of these Dorati Haydn operas on LP, so I have only two librettos/notes!

Well, I have seen titles listed in bibliographies, you know? Of course, my rudimentary German is scarcely more effective than my rudimentary Italian, French or English... :-\

:D

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 18, 2011, 12:14:11 PM
I think I saw it higher than that, but I could be mixing up the price of the 2 smaller boxes added together. And what do you mean, wait?!?!  :o Seriously, there are 14 left at Amazon and 7 at Importcds + 8 at blowitoutahere, so I think one has time to make a purchase....

tick tock

tick tock

tick tock

ok, times up!! :)

It's just hard to know when they get low like that and it will be the last time. Sometimes they just stock right back up again, and then other times  Woody's Books is suddenly making his investment in 10 boxes when they came out pay off for him with just 1 sale. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 18, 2011, 12:08:55 PM
>:D  (it is rather bad, isn't it?)  0:)

Strange but true. Not being an Italian speaker, and just being in it for the music, really, I can say that it is a big win for me. The music and singing are specially good. So what if the poetry sucks? I can't understand it anyway.  :)

8)

Yeah, all truth to be told, I haven't missed the librettos, as I just push play and start listening without even knowing the story. I let my imagination soar as I listen, and enjoy the music as it unfolds.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 18, 2011, 12:19:03 PM
Yeah, all truth to be told, I haven't missed the librettos, as I just push play and start listening without evening knowing the story. I let my imagination soar as I listen, and enjoy the music as it unfolds.

8)

Well, I like the synopses that you usually get, they suffice to set one on the right imaginary pathway..... :) 

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 18, 2011, 12:21:00 PM
Well, I like the synopses that you usually get, they suffice to set one on the right imaginary pathway..... :) 

8)

Exactly  ;D I keep my trusty Haydn book at hand in case I want to read a little about the history of the opera in question, or the snopsis:

(Now in a newer edition than this copy)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on December 18, 2011, 12:25:03 PM
Exactly  ;D I keep my trusty Haydn book at hand in case I want to read a little about the history of the opera in question, or the snopsis:

(Now in a newer edition than this copy)

8)

Me too (in the newer edition, not that old thing  :D ). It certainly helps. But I have 4 big books just on Mozart's operas and nothing else. And that was easy to do. There is no parity in the league.   >:(

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Leo K on December 18, 2011, 12:12:06 PM

I have one Dorati LP box, (La Fedelta Premiata), and one Musical Heritage Society box (L'Infedelta Delusa, Almeida conducting the...wait for it...Haydn Foundation Orchestra Rome  :o   ;D  )  That was all I could afford in the 70s when Dorati's cycle was generally available.

Sarge

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 06:48:34 AM
For those who can't wait (or are living in Europe) it's already in stock at JPC for €29.99 ($39). Although I'm more than happy with the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (much prefer their sound to the popular, on this forum, Van Swieten), I'm very tempted by this new release. For anyone collecting the discs individually, JPC has them priced at €2.99 now.

Sarge

I know I am missing a couple of the individual discs, so I will take look.  Thanks.

:)

SonicMan46

Good evening Gurn & All - for Gurn, thanks again for the recent installments of your Haydn saga - enjoying as usual! Congrats on such a unique approach and thorough review of Papa's output!

Just received the discs below of the Op. 20 SQs w/ the London Haydn Quartet - for those not familiar w/ this group, this is the 3rd double-set of releases of Haydn's earlier SQs using classical bows & gut strings - I really enjoy this group and their latest release after a couple of listens is just as superb as the earlier ones - :)

About to pull the string on ordering those Overtures that Gurn keeps showing - should I?  Will do - Dave  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 18, 2011, 03:05:32 PM
Good evening Gurn & All - for Gurn, thanks again for the recent installments of your Haydn saga - enjoying as usual! Congrats on such a unique approach and thorough review of Papa's output!

Just received the discs below of the Op. 20 SQs w/ the London Haydn Quartet - for those not familiar w/ this group, this is the 3rd double-set of releases of Haydn's earlier SQs using classical bows & gut strings - I really enjoy this group and their latest release after a couple of listens is just as superb as the earlier ones - :)

About to pull the string on ordering those Overtures that Gurn keeps showing - should I?  Will do - Dave  :D

Hey, Dave,
Thanks, glad you like. You guys have me on the right path, finally. :)

Well, I had the LHQ Op 9 as a download, and decided the other day to get all 3 sets. No harm will come from having yet another Op 20, and the Festetics 9 & 17 are my only PI ones anyway, so nice to have some reinforcement. They should be here next week, and I am looking forward to hearing what they are doing with Op 20. Particularly, I want to read their liner notes, which is something that downloads don't cover very well, since I understand that they are very keen on displaying the rhetorical aspects of these works, and I will listen for some possible differences there. Probably won't hear anything, but that's probably my fault... :-\

Good on you about the overtures. I can't remember you being an opera guy, so this might be your only way to hear some of that more specialized music. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Academy of Ancient Music; Hogwood - Hob 01_066 Symphony in Bb 1st mvmt - Allegro con brio

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2011, 06:48:34 AM
For those who can't wait (or are living in Europe) it's already in stock at JPC for €29.99 ($39). Although I'm more than happy with the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (much prefer their sound to the popular, on this forum, Van Swieten), I'm very tempted by this new release. For anyone collecting the discs individually, JPC has them priced at €2.99 now.

Sarge

I saw the single discs... started putting them into my basket... and then happened across the box which is cheaper, still, per disc. Grabbed it. Because everyone needs 1, 2, 3, 4 complete sets of Haydn's Piano Trios. :-)   Beaux Arts, Eisenstadt, van Swieten, and now 1789 or whatever they're called. I'm not that much a fan of the Eisenstadt (a little disappointed after their lovely work on the Scottish Songs, although they turn in fine performances) and like the van Swieten's only to an extend. The Beaux Arts, a few all-too-sight-read Trios aside, still are awfully gorgeous, though. And a few, cherry-pickin' individual discs of the Trios stand out... I'm separated from the "1784" recordings (spending a month of the darkest season in butter-free Oslo, idiot that I am) and, although I could listen to them through the Naxos Music Library, will probably wait until I am back.

Btw.: Anyone with favorite Spring-themed works?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 18, 2011, 03:05:32 PM
If you are asking about their quality, I think you should have no fears on that account. They are excellent. They are period perfomances if that matters. The group plays very crisply, in unison and in tune. There is a lightness and deftness of touch that I like. I'm very enthusiastic about these. You can hear the difference in sound between these and say the overtures from the actual operas on the Dorati disc. But for all that, I think they make interesting contrasts, and both have something to add to our enjoyment. The Huss has some tremendously exciting interpretations of some of the pieces. However, if you aren't a lover of opera, these (Huss) are the ones to get. They are a good introduction - if you like them, there are a number of other discs by the same group.

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on December 18, 2011, 11:50:44 AM
That seems like a good box set deal, Sarge. I already had 1 of the 10 disk boxes when that 20 disker came out, so I just bought the other one instead of the big one. No advantage accrues either way, since the only way to get notes (and probably a libretto) is to get the 8 individual operas from the first release, and they are rare and very expensive now. I understand that there are books in German that discuss the operas fully and even provide librettos. IIRC, that's not a problem for you. :D

8)

I have never done anything like that so I don't know how to do it for achieve best results, but I have an old edition of the EOC with booklets. Should I make scans of them for you?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on December 18, 2011, 11:13:40 PM
I have never done anything like that so I don't know how to do it for achieve best results, but I have an old edition of the EOC with booklets. Should I make scans of them for you?

You would be a Prince among Princes if you made that happen. :)

If they were in English, of course. I am still working on mastering it... ;)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on December 18, 2011, 10:36:53 PMI'm separated from the "1784" recordings (spending a month of the darkest season in butter-free Oslo, idiot that I am)

Ah, the crazy things we men do for love...

Sarge

Karl Henning

The Flight from Butter . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot