Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: chasmaniac on December 28, 2011, 04:36:46 AM
I know his Paris set. It's fabulous, easily my favourite.

[asin]B0040Y7F1E[/asin]

I'll bookmark that, No.86 is one of my favorites. Thanks!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 28, 2011, 04:30:12 AM
But I hear a lot of everything in these Fey performances so far, especially detail and passion, but as I mentioned before, the Fey performances are thrilling.

I've had 60/61 in my collection. 53/54 arrived this morning. Thrilling indeed.  The hybrid orchestra appeals to me (modern strings and winds, period brass and timps). It's nice, too, that Fey and band are my homies (I live close to Heidelberg)  8)

Quote from: chasmaniac on December 28, 2011, 04:36:46 AM
I know his Paris set. It's fabulous, easily my favourite.

I fear this is going to put a sizeable hole in my bank account. I already ordered the Paris set and 31 (coupled with two horn concertos).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 28, 2011, 04:39:23 AM
It's nice, too, that Fey and band are my homies (I live close to Heidelberg)  8)
Sarge

Great! My brother played in the Heidelberg Music Festival for several years.

I fear this is going to put a sizeable hole in my bank account. I already ordered the Paris set and 31 (coupled with two horn concertos).

Sarge

I'll also be experiencing a similar hole in my account, thanks to Fey.

Karl Henning

I've had 60/61 in my collection. 53/54 arrived this morning. Thrilling indeed.  The hybrid orchestra appeals to me (modern strings and winds, period brass and timps). It's nice, too, that Fey and band are my homies (I live close to Heidelberg)  8)

Listening to the clips of that concerti-plus-31 disc, very nice indeed.

This Haus is evil! ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2011, 05:22:18 AM
Listening to the clips of that concerti-plus-31 disc, very nice indeed.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for valveless horns.

Sarge

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2011, 05:22:18 AM

This Haus is evil! ; )

>:D another creature feared by Salieri  >:D

Karl Henning

On my walk to the North End this morning, I stopped by Newbury Comics, for to see what that Haydn operas box is priced at. $65.99.

Not an unreasonable price for a 20-CD box, and one likes to support the few remaining brick-&-mortar establishments when one can.  But right at the moment, if I were to tell the missus that I spent $66 on a box of Haydn operas, she would likely look at me as if I were a crazy person.

And those of us who have experience maintaining marital harmony know that it is a much easier matter, when one avoids actions which provoke looks as if one were a crazy person
: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2011, 07:00:16 AM
And those of us who have experience maintaining marital harmony know that it is a much easier matter, when one avoids actions which provoke looks as if one were a crazy person[/font] : )

Indeed, I do...Mrs. Rock has already committed me. I'm typing from my padded cell. It was the purchase of that last "Cat" that did it.

Sarge

Karl Henning

"Do not do as I have done," laments the Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

springrite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 28, 2011, 07:06:37 AM
Indeed, I do...Mrs. Rock has already committed me. I'm typing from my padded cell. It was the purchase of that last "Cat" that did it.

Sarge

That's what happens when a sarge marries an admiral.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on December 28, 2011, 07:09:13 AM
Rationality. Pfft.

Exactly. By all means, harmony over rationality : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Gurn, I mentioned a trip to the Boston Public Library this morning. Picked this up, as well:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2011, 07:00:16 AM
On my walk to the North End this morning, I stopped by Newbury Comics, for to see what that Haydn operas box is priced at. $65.99.

$66 for 20 CD, that is $3.3 per CD; my last 2011 order was $54 for 17 CD, that is $3.2 per CD.

Not an unreasonable price for a 20-CD box,
Quite agree.  :)

and one likes to support the few remaining brick-&-mortar establishments when one can.
Absolutely.

But right at the moment, if I were to tell the missus that I spent $66 on a box of Haydn operas, she would likely look at me as if I were a crazy person.
Well, I have a tested, unbeatable strategy. Whenever my wife feels like going shopping, I manoeuvre (is this an English word?) to go to malls that feature a book/CD - store. This way, while she goes shopping her way I, pretend (which is actually true) that I have no patience browsing shoes, purses and sweaters --- and I  browse books and CDs. When she's done shopping, she comes to pick me up. That is the moment when I say, as if unwilling to spend money: "Why did you tempt me? Why did you make me get in here?" and grab at least 3 CDs or books...  ;D

And those of us who have experience maintaining marital harmony know that it is a much easier matter, when one avoids actions which provoke looks as if one were a crazy person[/font] : )

D'you mean your wife married you for not being crazy?  :o I'm soooo veeeery disapoooointed...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Geo Dude

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on December 28, 2011, 11:45:19 AM

Well, I have a tested, unbeatable strategy. Whenever my wife feels like going shopping, I manoeuvre (is this an English word?)
yes, it is, although I think we Yanks spell it a little differently.  I'm too lazy to fetch my dictionary to check.
to go to malls that feature a book/CD - store.

You have malls there that still have book and CD stores?  Amazing.  Around here,  what bookstores and CD stores there are are freestanding or in strip malls, and other than Barnes and Noble, generally specialize in used stuff.

BTW, I purchased that Opera box at a bricks and mortar Barnes and Noble;  they had the same retail but I had a twenty or twenty five percent off coupon, which brough the price down to about 50USD.

mszczuj

The sixth part of scans of the EOC booklets - La fedeltà premiata

http://www.4shared.com/zip/nl-qklmJ/lafedpre.html

Sergeant Rock

Karl Henning

Quote from: AndreiD'you mean your wife married you for not being crazy?  :o I'm soooo veeeery disapoooointed...  ;D

Well, like many semi-rational things in life, I think there was both the attraction of the unreasoning, intuitive artistic element, and yet the reasonable expectation that family life should in important things be reliably stable : )

Quote from: Florestan on December 28, 2011, 11:45:19 AM
$66 for 20 CD, that is $3.3 per CD; my last 2011 order was $54 for 17 CD, that is $3.2 per CD.

Ho capito . . . indeed, the Ross Scarlatti box I fetched in at price reducing to $2.97 per disc

Quote from: Andrei. . . manoeuvre (is this an English word?)

One with a rich history, to be sure!  Standard spelling in US English has become maneuver. British English may favor — favour, sorry! — the spelling manoeuvre . . . and I have an idea that I have read in Poe (possibly [also] in Irving) — back in those days when orthography in the new nation was still somewhat up for grabs — a version which preserves the ligature: manœuvre (or it might have been manœuver).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Haven't been posting much, but I have been peering over other people's shoulders a bit; and one consequence is that yesterday I ordered this, after reading the recommendations above (thanks), and listening to some samples:

I'm also looking long and hard at this next, below, and we're very near the end of the month, so I think I might take the plunge in the next day or two: