Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on January 10, 2012, 04:23:04 AM
Only one of your amiable qualities, O Gurn, is your live-and-let-live attitude towards your fellow listeners' preferences : )

So true, Karl, so true.... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Arnold on January 09, 2012, 12:08:17 PM
I think I prefer the D11 one

Interesting . . . I am apt to prefer the disc 12 version.  At first, on hearing it yesterday, I found myself just a little annoyed with some passages in which it seemed to me that Beghin was exaggerating the secco (let's be honest: it is exactly the sort of manner which those of us who have studied a musical instrument are taught to regard as unmusical, clipped).  But that passing pique notwithstanding, the whole sonata really impresses as striking, energetic, unstoppable.

Both the instrument and the acoustic for the disc 11 version are "juicier" (which apparently answers my initial objection, above) — yet I have got to say that the overall impression of the piece is less . . . incisive.

Still processing initial impressions, of course, so consider this less a binding judgment, and more a faithful snapshot of my ears at the moment.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on January 10, 2012, 04:32:07 AM
(I)t seemed to me that Beghin was exaggerating the secco (let's be honest: it is exactly the sort of manner which those of us who have studied a musical instrument in the latter half of the twentieth century are taught to regard as unmusical, clipped).

0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Yes? Any forum participants who have studied an instrument in the 18th century?  I mean, I should be happy to add meaningful qualifiers to help anyone out . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Arnold on January 09, 2012, 12:08:17 PM
I think I prefer the D11 one; is that the English keyboard?  I am not at home and do not have access to the booklet.

Disc 12 (Program 10) is alla inglese; so our preferences may just align here, after all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on January 10, 2012, 04:48:50 AM
Any forum participants who have studied an instrument in the 18th century? 

My name is Franz Joseph Haydn and I want to tell you that modern interpreters suck big time. Just hear this dreadful Herr Beethoven, for instance...  ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 10, 2012, 04:53:11 AM
My name is Franz Joseph Haydn and I want to tell you that modern interpreters suck big time. Just hear this dreadful Herr Beethoven, for instance...  ;D ;D ;D

I am curious what he did think, actually. Beethoven's style (molto legato so I hear) would be quite different from what Haydn heard all his life. I figure he could probably live with it though; Beethoven didn't incorporate virtuosity for its own sake, which would have been anathema to the 18th century mind. Beethoven's virtuosity was in the service of the music. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 10, 2012, 06:13:30 AM
which would have been anathema to the 18th century mind.

I am listening to the welsh songs right now and must say that I can't find any sign of the 18th century mind in them.

chasmaniac

Quote from: mszczuj on January 10, 2012, 07:05:33 AM
I am listening to the welsh songs right now and must say that I can't find any sign of the 18th century mind in them.

I reckon a genteel interest in quaint indigenous cultures was a harbinger of things to come.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mszczuj

Quote from: chasmaniac on January 10, 2012, 07:10:23 AM
I reckon a genteel interest in quaint indigenous cultures was a harbinger of things to come.

I didn't mean reworking of folk songs (it is the 18th century concept) but the way he had did it.

mc ukrneal

A lot of Fey love lately. I'm curious - is the cycle complete yet? Has there been talk about eventually releasing a set?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 10, 2012, 07:47:27 AM
A lot of Fey love lately. I'm curious - is the cycle complete yet? Has there been talk about eventually releasing a set?

It isn't complete yet, I expect it will be though. It seems like a natural thing that they will release it as a box, but AFAIK they haven't made any sort of announcement yet. :-\

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 10, 2012, 08:11:01 AM
It isn't complete yet, I expect it will be though. It seems like a natural thing that they will release it as a box, but AFAIK they haven't made any sort of announcement yet. :-\

8)
Thanks. Do you know how much further they have to go?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 10, 2012, 07:47:27 AM

Vol.16, with 90 and 92, is due out this month. The cycle is less than halfway complete. I don't know what the schedule is but I assume it might be several years before it is completed and a box released.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 08:14:08 AM
Vol.16, with 90 and 92, is due out this month. The cycle is about halfway complete. I don't what the schedule is but I assume it might be several years before it is completed and a box released.

sarge
Oh Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 08:14:08 AM
Vol.16, with 90 and 92, is due out this month. The cycle is less than halfway complete. I don't know what the schedule is but I assume it might be several years before it is completed and a box released.

sarge

16?  :o. I only have 9 Fey recordings right now. I would love to hear his interpretations of some earlier symphonies such as No.6 and No.22.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 10, 2012, 08:36:41 AM
16?  :o. I only have 9 Fey recordings right now. I would love to hear his interpretations of some earlier symphonies such as No.6 and No.22.

31 is, I believe, the earliest (numerically) he's recorded so far.

Sarge

Florestan

Just curious: apart from Dorati and Fischer, what other complete symphonic cycles are out there? What are your preferences, gentlemen? I'm interested in a consistently good set in the budget range - if such a beast exist.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Leo K.

Quote from: Florestan on January 10, 2012, 08:44:33 AM
Just curious: apart from Dorati and Fischer, what other complete symphonic cycles are out there? What are your preferences, gentlemen? I'm interested in a consistently good set in the budget range - if such a beast exist.  :)

My only complete cycle is this, I love it so...the sound and performances are excellant, transparent-like texture in the strings, with a good bite in the brass too.

Joseph Haydn: The Complete Symphonies
Dennis Russell Davies

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on January 10, 2012, 08:44:33 AM

Quote from: Leo K on January 10, 2012, 08:50:50 AM
Dennis Russell Davies

I think that's it: Davies, Dorati, Fischer. I think Naxos has recorded them all...but with different orchestras and conductors? None of the PI cycles were completed. A pity.

Sarge