Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 08:43:10 AM
31 is, I believe, the earliest (numerically) he's recorded so far.

Sarge

Another great performance, dynamite horns! Plus, I love the tempo of the finale, quicker than my other recordings and I prefer that.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on January 10, 2012, 08:44:33 AM
Just curious: apart from Dorati and Fischer, what other complete symphonic cycles are out there? What are your preferences, gentlemen?

My preference? Selecting individual discs from a wide range of conductors and orchestras. I'm still working on a complete Haydn CD cycle. I need 10, 11, 18, 27, 32 and 62 yet. Then I can die a happy man...well, not happy, but complete.  8)  I've resisted the big boxes. Too easy ;D  But if I had to choose I'd probably go for Dorati for sentimental reasons. I like his Haydn style too.

Sarge

P.S. Does anyone have recommendations for any of those symphonies?
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

chasmaniac

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 09:05:41 AM
My preference? Selecting individual discs from a wide range of conductors and orchestras. I'm still working on a complete Haydn CD cycle. I need 10, 11, 18, 27, 32 and 62 yet. Then I can die a happy man...well, not happy, but complete.  8)  I've resisted the big boxes. Too easy ;D  But if I had to choose I'd probably go for Dorati for sentimental reasons. I like his Haydn style too.

Sarge

Well, Goodman covers 10, 11 and 18. I'm very fond of his Haydn, especially the earlier numbers, where his lightness of touch is so appropriate. But YMMV.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 09:05:41 AM

Sarge

Hogwood has done #27, #32 (on the same disc) and 62, and (as has been pointed out) Goodman would be a good choice for #10, #11 and #18.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Arnold on January 10, 2012, 09:53:12 AM
Hogwood has done #27, #32 (on the same disc) and 62, and (as has been pointed out) Goodman would be a good choice for #10, #11 and #18.

That's too easy! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Haydnistas gotta feel the burn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 10, 2012, 10:43:33 AM
That's too easy! :)

;D :D ;D  ...way too easy. But I'll probably go there  8)

Sarge

Leon

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 11:18:23 AM
;D :D ;D  ...way too easy. But I'll probably go there  8)

Sarge

It is even easier than I thought - Vol. 1 of Hogwood has #10, 11, 18, 27 & 32 - you'll have to look for Vol. 10 for #62.

:)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Arnold on January 10, 2012, 11:38:48 AM
It is even easier than I thought - Vol. 1 of Hogwood has #10, 11, 18, 27 & 32 - you'll have to look for Vol. 10 for #62.

:)

Not so easy afterall. Vol 1 isn't readily available in Europe...at least not cheaply  :(

Volume 10 too is expensive--especially considering that I only need one symphony from the box.

Sarge

Leon

Amazon UK has Vol. 1

But I don't know if UK34 is too much for a used set.  Of course, downloads are available.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Arnold on January 10, 2012, 11:55:25 AM
Amazon UK has Vol. 1

But I don't know if UK34 is too much for a used set.  Of course, downloads are available.

Thanks. I'll consider that one seriously (although with shipping from the US to Germany it becomes a costly affair). I have to confess I'm a bit spoiled by the recent JPC sale: €9.99. Unfortunately they didn't have vol 1.

Sarge

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 09, 2012, 07:59:19 PM
the E flat is on this one, Karl:
[asin]B000N2H832[/asin]. 
Hamelin has done two 2 CD sets of Haydn's music; this is the earlier one, although truth to tell, I think both are worth getting.  (I seem to remember Gurn specifically not liking Hamelin's performances here, however.)
There's also a Virgin 2CD pairing on my shelves of Pletnev playing concertos (CD 1) and solo works (CD 2) of which the E flat is one, and this one by Angela Hewitt, of which the Handel selections are more prominent in my memory

And this one--again the Haydn portion is the one that stands out least in my memory.

That's all of my Haydn on modern piano and the E flat appears in all of them.  (I've got Brautigam and now Beghin for the complete works.)    Judging by how they stand out in my memory (or don't),  I suppose Hamelin is the winner.

Listening report: 
I'm listening in succession to Hamelin, Pletnev and Hewitt play the E flat sonata (don't have time tonight for the others).
Hamelin is the winner on modern piano.
I think I see Antoine's point about Hamelin not playing Haydn idiomatically.  He doesn't seem to be playing it in a Haydnesque manner--but he does seem to be going after it as if it was early Beethoven, and considering it as a percursor to Beethoven, the performance works.
Pletnev seem to have mistaken this sonata for something written by a mid nineteenth century Romantic composer.  It doesn't work.  The epitome of unidiomatic.
Hewitt is more akin to Hamelin, but a little more explicitly romantic and therefore a little less successful, although nowhere near as bad as Pletnev.
And have now started the final course of the night, Brautigam. So far he actually seems to be playing in the same manner as Hewitt--the main differences are those inherent in the instruments (modern piano vs. fortepiano).

Karl Henning

Cool, Jeffrey. I was pretty much resolved to give Hamelin a try here; but for that reason, I am additionally grateful for your due diligence here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 10, 2012, 08:54:22 AM
I think that's it: Davies, Dorati, Fischer. I think Naxos has recorded them all...but with different orchestras and conductors? None of the PI cycles were completed. A pity.

Sarge

Yes, re: Naxos. But there is also another cycle out there, recorded for the Music Heritage Society. I'm trying to find out the name (I know I've written about it somewhere) and whether it's actually complete or was just started...
Do you remember?

Edit: Ernst Märzendorfer, Vienna Chamber Orchestra. Found an image of the LP... but now I notice it's even on Wiki.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 12, 2012, 01:46:54 AM
Edit: Ernst Märzendorfer, Vienna Chamber Orchestra. Found an image of the LP... but now I notice it's even on Wiki.

Completed, or just started?

Sarge

jlaurson

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 10, 2012, 07:47:27 AM
A lot of Fey love lately. I'm curious - is the cycle complete yet? Has there been talk about eventually releasing a set?

I did some research. Here's a more detailed answer to your question:

Fey has recorded 41 of Haydn's symphonies so far (39 with the Heidelberger Sinfoniker, 2 with the Schlierbacher Kammerorchester). The Paris symphonies are also available packaged together.

Vol 01 - 94 104
Vol.02 - 45 64 (with the Schlierbacher Kammerorchester - may be oop now)
Vol 03 - 82 88 95
Vol 04 - 34 39 40 50
Vol 05 - 83 84 85
Vol 06 - 49 52 58
Vol 07 - 69 86 87
Vol 08 - 41 44 47
Vol 09 - 70 73 75
Vol 10 - 60 61
Vol 11 - 57 59 65
Vol 12 - 48 56
Vol 13 - 93 96 97
Vol 14 - 31 (coupled with two horn concertos)
Vol 15 - 53 54
Vol 16 - 90 92

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 10, 2012, 07:45:27 PM
Listening report: 
I'm listening in succession to Hamelin, Pletnev and Hewitt play the E flat sonata (don't have time tonight for the others).
Hamelin is the winner on modern piano.
I think I see Antoine's point about Hamelin not playing Haydn idiomatically.  He doesn't seem to be playing it in a Haydnesque manner--but he does seem to be going after it as if it was early Beethoven, and considering it as a percursor to Beethoven, the performance works.
Pletnev seem to have mistaken this sonata for something written by a mid nineteenth century Romantic composer.  It doesn't work.  The epitome of unidiomatic.
Hewitt is more akin to Hamelin, but a little more explicitly romantic and therefore a little less successful, although nowhere near as bad as Pletnev.
And have now started the final course of the night, Brautigam. So far he actually seems to be playing in the same manner as Hewitt--the main differences are those inherent in the instruments (modern piano vs. fortepiano).
I have to disagree with this assessment (at least in part). Idiomatic or not, I feel that Pletnev works quite well, even better than Hamelin (in my opinion). I am not adverse to a bit of romantisicm, but he doesn't really go whole hog overboard either. So it does work (for me) and I would not say it is the 'epitone of unidiomatic'. The first movement, for example, works much better in Pletnev's hands, which he takes much slower. Although Hamelin sounds a bit more in the period style, his speed requires much more technique and fire power, which is something more associated with romantic period music. In fact, when I compare the third movement back to back, there really are more similarities than differences between them (and here the speed is nearly identical). They both take liberties with rubato too (at least that is what is sounds like without having seen the score).

So I would pick Pletnev as the winner on modern piano (between the two of them). 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 12, 2012, 02:29:05 AM
I did some research. Here's a more detailed answer to your question:

Fey has recorded 41 of Haydn's symphonies so far (39 with the Heidelberger Sinfoniker, 2 with the Schlierbacher Kammerorchester). The Paris symphonies are also available packaged together.

Vol 01 - 94 104
Vol.02 - 45 64 (with the Schlierbacher Kammerorchester - may be oop now)
Vol 03 - 82 88 95
Vol 04 - 34 39 40 50
Vol 05 - 83 84 85
Vol 06 - 49 52 58
Vol 07 - 69 86 87
Vol 08 - 41 44 47
Vol 09 - 70 73 75
Vol 10 - 60 61
Vol 11 - 57 59 65
Vol 12 - 48 56
Vol 13 - 93 96 97
Vol 14 - 31 (coupled with two horn concertos)
Vol 15 - 53 54
Vol 16 - 90 92

Sarge

Wow! Thanks! Very useful (and I think helpful for those considering a purchase)! You've gone far above the call on this one!!

Sergeant Rock