Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 19, 2012, 04:36:57 AM
Nice review; sounds like you had a good time with both pieces. 88 is sure a good'un, and reading that also reminds me of the virtue of the key of G major as it pertains to Haydn. 4 of my most favored late symphonies, 88, 92, 94 & 100 are all in G major. Coincidence? Maybe, or possibly the means of expression or the inspiration that G major gives Haydn speaks to me personally more than some others. :-\  :)

8)

I do a mental ten most listened to Haydn symphonies every once in awhile, and almost always a good portion of them are in a Minor key (26, 39, 44, 52, 80), or will feature several of his D Major ones (6, 53, 73, 86, 101), so yes, Gurn, I think that although we can appreciate all of his symphonies, we are as individuals most certainly drawn to a particular style or sound.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 19, 2012, 04:49:09 AM

I do a mental ten most listened to Haydn symphonies every once in awhile, and almost always a good portion of them are in a Minor key (26, 39, 44, 52, 80), or will feature several of his D Major ones (6, 53, 73, 86, 101), so yes, Gurn, I think that although we can appreciate all of his symphonies, we are as individuals most certainly drawn to a particular style or sound.

Yes, the minor keys (doesn't matter which key, just the mode) are certainly attractive to the ear. And the D major use that key because it is gracious to the instruments (natural winds, in the day, and the open strings on violins sound their best too. There was a whole genre, with every composer in Vienna for 50 years or more contributing, called now "Viennese C major" because they shared things like a great maestoso and grandeur. Mozart's "Jupiter" is an example. And Haydn's #38 and 41.

Some will argue that the attraction comes from the composer's inspiration, others that it comes from the listener's particular ear. I don't know, but I think it is interesting anyway. I wonder if others than us have a similar experience?

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

TheGSMoeller

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 19, 2012, 06:53:38 AM
Wikipedia - D Major

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_major

Nice article. Guess it would be interesting to see what they have to say about C and G... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leon

I have been enjoying this recording very much lately, which despite using MI it conveys Haydn very nicely, IMO -

[asin]B000059GRI[/asin]

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on January 19, 2012, 02:14:11 AM
There was na old Hungaroton LP with Janos Liebner playing nos 53, 73, 94, 97, 109 but I don't know if it was ever released as CD. Probably not.

Here is a review of it (january1972!):

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/January%201972/74/738842/HAYDN.+Trios+for+baryton,+viola+and+cello.+Jinos+Liebner+(baryton),+Gsibor+Fias+(viola),+Laszlio+Mezii+(cello).+Hungaroton+SLPX11478+(L1.63)

Here is the cover:

http://www.platte11.de/article/joseph-haydn-barytontrios

And here you can listen to samples of it:

http://www.hungarotonmusic.com/classical/trios-for-barytone-p4124.html

Ah, thanks for that. I don't see it anywhere as a CD. I bet it was the first effort to play these works on actual instruments. Although maybe not. I see that Munich Trio disk that I got, the baryton is listed to have been made in 1934, which fairly amazed me!

8)

mszczuj

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 19, 2012, 08:36:46 AM
I see that Munich Trio disk that I got, the baryton is listed to have been made in 1934, which fairly amazed me!

Here are some informations about this instrument:

http://www.orpheon.org/OldSite/Seiten/Instruments/other/baryton.htm

Karl Henning

QuoteThe correct name for this instrument is actually "Viola di Pardone."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on January 19, 2012, 07:08:43 AM
Nice article. Guess it would be interesting to see what they have to say about C and G... :D

8)

C major... my favorite composition in this key is Schubert's String Quintet;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

TheGSMoeller

Gurn, you mentioned #92 being one of your favorites, have you heard...

...an exciting performance, rocket-fast finale.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mszczuj on January 19, 2012, 09:41:56 AM
Here are some informations about this instrument:

http://www.orpheon.org/OldSite/Seiten/Instruments/other/baryton.htm

That was a fascinating page, thanks! Maybe Sonic Dave will get over to see it too, I know he would be fascinated. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 19, 2012, 09:52:00 AM
Gurn, you mentioned #92 being one of your favorites, have you heard...

...an exciting performance, rocket-fast finale.

Oh yes, that's a fine disk. I bought it for the rarely recorded Scena de Berenice, so the symphonies were a bonus. And a fine bonus at that. :)

Mine is this one:

[asin]B001ONSWDO[/asin]

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2012, 09:49:12 AM
C major... my favorite composition in this key is Schubert's String Quintet;D

I find it hard to choose from among the Chopin Prelude Op. 28 № 1, the Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings . . . and the « Leningrad » Symphony : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on January 19, 2012, 10:02:25 AM
I find it hard to choose from among the Chopin Prelude Op. 28 № 1, the Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings . . . and the « Leningrad » Symphony : )

My favorites would be Brian 7, Schmidt 4, Haydn Bear, Mozart PC21, Beethoven Waldstein, Sibelius 3

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

With Haydn, the C Major would be a tie between his Maria Theresia or #50.

Another, one of my favorite concertos, Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto in C, RV425... also, Prokofiev's 4th symphony, both versions.

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 19, 2012, 11:40:35 AM
Brian 7

Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert!
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on January 19, 2012, 08:44:55 PM
Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert! Infiltration alert!

Yes, we Brianites are like the Red Menace  >:D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Leon

Quote from: Arnold on January 19, 2012, 08:27:11 AM
I have been enjoying this recording very much lately, which despite using MI it conveys Haydn very nicely, IMO -

[asin]B000059GRI[/asin]

After reading a bit more about this recording, what I had assumed was a entirely modern instrument recording, an assumption which is not exactly accurate: the orchestra is tuned down to HIP specifications, and the horns are PI and (from what I can determine) the strings are as well, i.e. using period bows, gut strings and techniques.  However, Pletnev is plyaing a modern piano and incorporating his own cadenzas in most pieces, in which he displays decidedly non-period elements. 

This is not a problem for me, although one reviewer complained about it; since I do not rate a performance or recording based on the cadenza.  Rather, what comes across in these performances is an approach that fits comfortably within the HIP camp, but with a solo instrumentalist who, while simpatico with the performance practices of the 18th C., is playing an instrument with a modern sound palette. 

I like it; but can understand why others may prefer something else and may find this recording neither here nor there.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on January 20, 2012, 03:53:56 AM
After reading a bit more about this recording, what I had assumed was a entirely modern instrument recording, an assumption which is not exactly accurate: the orchestra is tuned down to HIP specifications, and the horns are PI and (from what I can determine) the strings are as well, i.e. using period bows, gut strings and techniques.  However, Pletnev is plyaing a modern piano and incorporating his own cadenzas in most pieces, in which he displays decidedly non-period elements. 

This is not a problem for me, although one reviewer complained about it; since I do not rate a performance or recording based on the cadenza.  Rather, what comes across in these performances is an approach that fits comfortably within the HIP camp, but with a solo instrumentalist who, while simpatico with the performance practices of the 18th C., is playing an instrument with a modern sound palette. 

I like it; but can understand why others may prefer something else and may find this recording neither here nor there.

Thanks for the full-disclosure background on that, Arnold. I have seen that disk around, but even though I like PLetnev, I don't visualize him as a Haydnist, so I veered off. I suspect that I would be one of those in your last sentence. :)

8)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy