Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 10, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
Now I've completed this update;  Part 4 - 1754-55

I hope you enjoy it, clearly I couldn't add any music to it, but I did add quite a bit of biography, for those of you who are following that aspect. Enjoy!

8)

Great job Gurn, I'm glad to see these excellant revisions to an already awesome resource!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on March 11, 2012, 06:46:23 AM
Great job Gurn, I'm glad to see these excellant revisions to an already awesome resource!

8)

Thanks, Leo. Early times, I didn't have a solid idea where I wanted to go. Actually, I'm pleased to have an opportunity for revision. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

And now I've updated this one too, it is Part 5 - 1756 . Some may notice that very occasionally in this process I change the recommended disks too.  The process of choosing doesn't ever really stop for me, my CDCDCD is as bad (my wife says it's worse) as anyone's.... :D

Enjoy!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 11, 2012, 08:21:50 AM
And now I've updated this one too, it is Part 5 - 1756 . Some may notice that very occasionally in this process I change the recommended disks too.  The process of choosing doesn't ever really stop for me, my CDCDCD is as bad (my wife says it's worse) as anyone's.... :D

Enjoy!

8)

Ha ha! Just this morning my wife was saying, 'Are you getting MORE Haydn?!" I was saying, "Yeah, this time on piano, rather than harpsichord, for contrast...etc, etc." She just shook her head  ;D

Leon

Enjoy!

8)

I guess we should all go back and edit our posts too.   :P

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on March 11, 2012, 08:44:09 AM

Ha ha! Just this morning my wife was saying, 'Are you getting MORE Haydn?!" I was saying, "Yeah, this time on piano, rather than harpsichord, for contrast...etc, etc." She just shook her head  ;D

:D  A Universal Constant...  ;)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on March 11, 2012, 08:44:09 AM
I guess we should all go back and edit our posts too.   :P

:)

Oh, would you? That would be super!   :D

8)

DavidW

For a second I thought Gurn wrote that post! :D  You'll have to check into the CDCDCDCD ward. ;D

Leo K.

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2012, 09:09:45 AM
For a second I thought Gurn wrote that post! :D  You'll have to check into the CDCDCDCD ward. ;D

LOL Indeed!

8) :o 8)

Leo K.

I've been getting into old school MI performances of Mozart, and now Haydn as well.

This album is a real treasure! Before this, I've only hear Rosbaud's Mahler, so this is a treat to hear him in classical repertore. I'm loving the the BPO in this recording, that big band sound does great for Haydn.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leo K on March 17, 2012, 10:13:57 AM
I've been getting into old school MI performances of Mozart, and now Haydn as well.

This album is a real treasure! Before this, I've only hear Rosbaud's Mahler, so this is a treat to hear him in classical repertore. I'm loving the the BPO in this recording, that big band sound does great for Haydn.

8)

Cool. And how does Schneiderhan do in the Mozart? That's my favorite concerto of the 5.... :)

8)

Leo K.

Quote from: Leo K on March 17, 2012, 10:13:57 AM

I've also been exploring Haydn's keyboard sonatas on the modern piano. I've recently returned to Jando's Naxos recordings ( I have three of them) and they sound really good on this revist, and I'm sorry I haven't returned to them in so long.

[asin]B0000035VG[/asin]

I've also received Walter Olbertz's complete set. Although recorded in the early to mid-seventies, he doesn't give us a full-out romantic Haydn, but still, his Haydn does sound reflective and thoughtful. I've been jumping around this set, and I really LOVE the sound of his Haydn.

Leo K.

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 17, 2012, 10:17:32 AM
Cool. And how does Schneiderhan do in the Mozart? That's my favorite concerto of the 5.... :)

8)

Thats my favorite too! I haven't listened to Schneiderhan yet but I plan to REAL soon! I'll let ya know.

8)

Karl Henning

It was just the chance of it coming in while I hopped into the car from Errand #2 to Errand #3, so I don't know who the pianist was . . . but there was an interview with someone playing Haydn on WGBH All Classical 99.5 this morning. (Might be able to figure it out from a playlist on-line . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

I've been casting around lately for the best versions of some concertos. You guys have given me some suggestions during the course of the bio essays, and now I am acting on that. Here are  some recent purchases;

I got the Dantone a small while back, but well after the period of the keyboard concerti had come and gone, and so we didn't get much opportunity to discuss. Does anyone else have this? Like it? I quite enjoyed the playing, as in the Carmignola disk, it is interesting to hear Italian PI-School musicians play German music. Clearly there is a different take on it, hard to really put your finger on what it is, but the personality of the music seems different. Dantone & Co do a splendid job by any definition. As much as I enjoy Schornsheim's keyboard concertos set, Dantone's ranks up there too. This is commendable.

I am listening to Carmignola right now for the first time. He is clearly the first of my players to make Haydn sound like Vivaldi! And why shouldn't he? Haydn's early concertos are Baroque in most ways. There is nothing at all Classical/Sonata Form about them. They are traditional ripenio-type, let's have a turn, call and response type Baroque concertos. One thing that Carmignola does manage nicely is to show us clearly that Tomassini must have been a fine violinist. I am not really sure why many players seem to downplay the virtuosity that is built in to these works (the early Esterhazy concerti generally, that is). There is no doubt that Haydn wrote them for the virtuosi that he had in his orchestra, and if he hadn't meant them to be played that way he would have just stuck with the obbligato parts that he built in to the early symphonies. This disk is really a nice addition to the Haydn discography, delighted to have it.

The Reinhold Friedrich disk is slated to arrive tomorrow, so more on that when I have given it a proper listen. Given the positive comments that I've read here, I fully expect it to surpass the very laudable efforts of both Pinnock and Hogwood that are currently in my stash. That will be a high mark to top! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Orchestre des Champs-Elysées \ Moccia   Carmignola (Violin) - Hob 07a_3 Concerto in A for Violin 1st mvmt - Moderato

Karl Henning

Gurn, did you know? In Search of Haydn (at the MFA).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 24, 2012, 04:48:24 AM
Gurn, did you know? In Search of Haydn (at the MFA).

No, but thanks for the info. This series, which started with Mozart and Beethoven, is reputedly outstanding. Amazon have it available for preorder, releasing on April 27th. I went ahead and committed. DVD is probably the best I can do for it!   :)

8)

Karl Henning

Aye, I've seen the Beethoven film, and at the MFA. To-morrow is my day off, and I'll go in to see the last showing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Enjoy!

8)

Hang on... this looks like you've been building some kind of thorough Haydn chronology?

I died last night, didn't I? And this is heaven.  ;D

PS I've managed to find the start, on page 74...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on March 24, 2012, 05:37:58 PM
Hang on... this looks like you've been building some kind of thorough Haydn chronology?

I died last night, didn't I? And this is heaven.  ;D

PS I've managed to find the start, on page 74...

Ah, a new Haydnista! If you click the globe under my name it will come up with an index that allows you to go to any year or other topic. There are 50 chronological essays. What you see mainly from the beginning is that when I began I was rather less organized than later, and so I am redoing the first 20 or so. They are very much a personal take on the performance suggestions.... :)

Please enjoy and feel free to comment and suggest.

8)