Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 30, 2012, 04:24:48 AM
I'm so looking forward to this. Actually, I'm pleased that I wasn't aware of it during the making of. Now I am only having to anticipate just at the last minute. :)

8)

One bit which was nice to be reminded of by watching again:  when attention is turned to the celebrated Trumpet Concerto, there are interviews with both a modern trumpeter (as 'twere) and a chap playing (what I take for) the antique keyed trumpet which was the occasion for the commission.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

chasmaniac

From 2 different sources, I've ordered all the Festetics Haydn 4s except volume 1 (opus 9), and at less than extortionate prices. Took some research, that.

Are they here yet?

Are they here yet?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on March 30, 2012, 06:19:46 AM
From 2 different sources, I've ordered all the Festetics Haydn 4s except volume 1 (opus 9), and at less than extortionate prices. Took some research, that.

Are they here yet?

Are they here yet?

Yes, I bet it DID take some research! I actually spent 3 months at it in late 2010, trying to find it for less than $35-40/set. I did pretty well too, for that matter; IIRC I paid on average $20/box. HArd to beat that!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 30, 2012, 06:29:46 AM
Yes, I bet it DID take some research! I actually spent 3 months at it in late 2010, trying to find it for less than $35-40/set. I did pretty well too, for that matter; IIRC I paid on average $20/box. HArd to beat that!  :)

8)

Well, assuming I get them all, my net outlay will be $13.82 Cdn per disc. Not bad for quality.

Incidentally, and for Canuckleheads especially, the distributor SRI is now e-tailing directly at http://store.audiophile.ca/en/
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

Another illuminative benefit (for me) from In Search of Haydn has been: For reasons so far back, I don't even know them, I've never thought particularly much of the Cello Concerti. Here, though, we see (and, to be sure, hear) Gautier Capuçon playing an Allegro movement of the C Major Concerto, and it is hot stuff.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 30, 2012, 07:42:39 AM
Another illuminative benefit (for me) from In Search of Haydn has been: For reasons so far back, I don't even know them, I've never thought particularly much of the Cello Concerti. Here, though, we see (and, to be sure, hear) Gautier Capuçon playing an Allegro movement of the C Major Concerto, and it is hot stuff.

Yeah, I need to be reminded on occasion how good they are too. The first one is a peach, IMO. Since he wrote it for his own first cello, and the 1st horn and 1st violin concerti likewise, you can imagine how good that band must have been!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on March 30, 2012, 06:37:13 AM
Well, assuming I get them all, my net outlay will be $13.82 Cdn per disc. Not bad for quality.

Incidentally, and for Canuckleheads especially, the distributor SRI is now e-tailing directly at http://store.audiophile.ca/en/

Man, that's excellent! FWIW, I did get 2 or 3 of mine out of Canada, and then a couple from England too. The only ones I got in USA were on eBay. :)

8)

chasmaniac

You've got me all bubbly for this flick now, but the Cdn amazon says it isn't released here till April 24. Grrr.

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 30, 2012, 07:54:33 AM
Man, that's excellent! FWIW, I did get 2 or 3 of mine out of Canada, and then a couple from England too. The only ones I got in USA were on eBay. :)

8)

I thought MDT sold them all, at all times, for something like 17, 18 pounds. That's how I remember getting them, at least. In the US, the label is trickier to come by... but fortunately MDT ships internationally.

chasmaniac

Quote from: jlaurson on March 30, 2012, 08:52:00 AM
I thought MDT sold them all, at all times, for something like 17, 18 pounds. That's how I remember getting them, at least. In the US, the label is trickier to come by... but fortunately MDT ships internationally.

They're showing 3 or 4 for 13 pds right now. Good price. Curiously, they also list (for substantially more) the Festetics opus 9 on Hungaroton. Is this the same recording?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on March 30, 2012, 08:52:00 AM

At that time MDT only had 2 of them in stock (54 & 55 was one, but I can't recall the other), and I bought both. Amazon UK had another but it was much higher priced. I had originally ordered 3 of them from MDT, but when they shipped, one of them was already sold out.

Most Arcana releases are quite difficult to obtain in USA, I usually have to go with someone in England. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on March 30, 2012, 09:28:05 AM
They're showing 3 or 4 for 13 pds right now. Good price. Curiously, they also list (for substantially more) the Festetics opus 9 on Hungaroton. Is this the same recording?

No, 10 or so years older. And definitely less skilled, so I've read. 

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 30, 2012, 09:40:51 AM
No, 10 or so years older. And definitely less skilled, so I've read. 

8)

Good to know.

Karl Henning

Some nice notes on the Missa in angustiis, courtesy of the Aylesbury Choral Society:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

It's pricey, in fact I only have the MP3 at the moment, but these performances make me drool, they sound so good...

TheGSMoeller

A portion from the liner notes in the Haydn Symphonies No. 1-20 Set - Adam Fischer, Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra regarding Haydn performances with modern instruments...

"Even radical supporters of period instruments agree that the personality of the player is more important than the question of what instrument he or she plays. I endeavour to choose players who feel a personal affinity with Haydn's music, who are able to express this identity in their playing and who react instantly and automatically to the other players' rubatos. The vital point is that a concert should be exciting and convincing. A boring performance remains a crime, even if it is historically 'correct'."

-Adam Fischer

jlaurson

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 30, 2012, 10:01:15 AM
It's pricey, in fact I only have the MP3 at the moment, but these performances make me drool, they sound so good...

J. Haydn
Cello Concertos
J.G.Queyras
Freiburg Baroque Orchestra
HMU

Best* recording of those pieces. :-) !

The absence of the possibility of a platonic "best" performance being implied.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on March 30, 2012, 10:33:52 AM
Best recording of those pieces. :-) !

Very damned fine, anyway. I always have trouble with "best", but in any case if it was my only one I would be quite content. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 30, 2012, 10:22:35 AM
A portion from the liner notes in the Haydn Symphonies No. 1-20 Set - Adam Fischer, Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra regarding Haydn performances with modern instruments...

"Even radical supporters of period instruments agree that the personality of the player is more important than the question of what instrument he or she plays. I endeavour to choose players who feel a personal affinity with Haydn's music, who are able to express this identity in their playing and who react instantly and automatically to the other players' rubatos. The vital point is that a concert should be exciting and convincing. A boring performance remains a crime, even if it is historically 'correct'."

-Adam Fischer

Well, he's right, that's what it comes down to. I would miss certain aspects of tone color, but to hear inspired playing it is a sacrifice I would make. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on March 30, 2012, 10:40:39 AM
Well, he's right, that's what it comes down to. I would miss certain aspects of tone color, but to hear inspired playing it is a sacrifice I would make. :)

8)

You said it, Gurn, I think Fischer is passionate about Haydn's music and it shows, but there are aspects of HIP that are irresistible.