Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 25, 2012, 06:35:00 PM
In the interest of gender equality,  the male Minettis seem rather hunky looking (not that I'm inclined that way, so perhaps my judgment is off).

And since the price is even more attractive than the performers,  I'm ordering it in another tab of my browser as I post this.

I'm more impressed with the ultra shiny and un-damaged lockers, not what I was used to in school.

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 25, 2012, 07:06:02 PM
I'm more impressed with the ultra shiny and un-damaged lockers, not what I was used to in school.

Given the babe/buff content of the cover,  probably fitness club lockers.

In my high school,  we had banged up red painted lockers approximately one foot high by one foot wide by one foot deep.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

In the interest of gender equality,  the male Minettis seem rather hunky looking (not that I'm inclined that way, so perhaps my judgment is off).

As one so inclined, cello boy's got promise.  I'll pass on the viola though, thanks.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 25, 2012, 09:38:07 AM
....the two violin babes

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 25, 2012, 07:06:02 PM
I'm more impressed with the ultra shiny and un-damaged lockers

Quote from: orfeo on April 26, 2012, 02:49:37 AM
As one so inclined, cello boy's got promise.

The perfect quartet recording! It has something for everyone  ;D  The music ain't half bad either  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Bah, who cares about the music when you've got the image? Just ask Golijov.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Arnold on April 25, 2012, 07:06:56 AM
That's damning them with faint praise, IMO - and don't know what you mean by 'on the same label as the Minetti Quartet". 

...and am glad there is a period performance of this neglected opus number ...

1.) By which I mean: On the same label. (Haenssler Classics)
2.) If Meta4 is a period performance, err... well, can't find an analogy. But they are definitely not HIP.
3.) I, too, am looking forward to more from them.

I had praise for them and their Haydn, albeit mild, three years ago in this forum.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3866.msg321846.html#msg321846
Quote from: jlaurson on June 18, 2009, 12:37:06 AM
The label for which META 4 have recorded their Haydn is Haenssler Classics. Of course Amazon's listing is so shitty again, that you can't find it unless you modify the German URL accordingly.

[It's not audacious, per se... not in the Haydn anniversary year. And it's been done by the Jerusalem Quartet, the Minetti Quartet, Quatuor Ebene... (all fantastic recordings, btw.) and yet, in a subtle way, it's daring just because Haydn isn't a smash hit, usually, and op.55 least of all.

Haydn, String Quartets op.55
META 4
Haenssler Classic

That's the link for the US.

The link for the UK is here, for France here, for Germany here.

It's very good stuff, if not quite as immediately outstanding as the Mintetti Quartet disc. I've only so far compared it to the Buchberger and Kodaly and it's not a flattering comparison for the latter, I'm afraid... but if to chose among Buchberger and Kodaly in op.55, I'd prefer the Kodaly, still, by a small margin. With the Buchberger they just sound like complete run-throughs.

Why haven't Quatuor Mosaiques not recorded those yet?  >:(

Leon

Quote from: jlaurson on April 26, 2012, 05:04:13 AM

2.) If Meta4 is a period performance, err... well, can't find an analogy. But they are definitely not HIP.

I know that now; but I had read that they used "ancient instruments", thinking it meant PI, in a review but after listening to them more and visiting their website discovered that the original reviewer had offered some misinformation. 

Still, it's a good recording of some Haydn string quartets which seem to be the ugly step child for some reason; most undeservedly I might add.

I don't share your preference for the Minetti, which are also good, but I felt the META4 group brought more verve to their performances.

:)

jlaurson

Quote from: Arnold on April 26, 2012, 07:06:50 AM
... the original reviewer had offered some misinformation. 

Not so much misinformation, if I read it right, than misleading irrelevant information...

snyprrr

Did Haydn really use his nose for that middle note?

snyprrr

Quote from: Mr. Stevens Senior on April 25, 2012, 04:54:17 PM
OK, I'll bite -- which Haydn quartets/artists would you recommend?

You can probably get the Tokyo MP3 in Op.50, but otherwise, the Nomos on CPO IS the coco bop!! Accept no alternatives!

North Star

Quatuor Mosaiques on period instruments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXg8xo31h0
[asin]B001F0JZZU[/asin]
[asin]B001F0K004[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

Quote from: Sammy on April 25, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
The Tatrai Quartet recordings on Hungaroton should satisfy you - modern instruments and top-rate traditional performances.

Strongly seconded.  $:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Leon

After the strong endorsement from the Haydn Op. 50 blind listening thread, I ordered the Tokyo String Quartet performance on CD-R from Archiv Music.  It arrived today and I am listening to it as I type.

Arkiv Music did a splendid job with their reproduction and must have some kind of licensing deal with DG since they have flawlessly reproduced all the artwork including the disc itself and booklet.  Well worth the $21 it set me back for an otherwise OOP recording.

:)

Uncle Connie

Quote from: orfeo on April 26, 2012, 02:49:37 AM
As one so inclined, cello boy's got promise.  I'll pass on the viola though, thanks.

Sorry, my elder son already put in his claim on the cellist.  Of course, the cellist doesn't know it, and my son lives in Hollywood, not where the Minettis are, and my son doesn't like classical, but.... 

As for the ladies, I'm 68 years old.  Fantasies are wonderful, but let's leave it at that, okay?

Peregrine

I see no reason to change my mind at the moment!

Quote from: Peregrine on July 18, 2011, 11:43:25 AM
My current picks would be:

Op.20 - Tatrai/Juilliard
Op.33 - Apponyi
Op.50 - Amati
Op.54 - Juilliard
Op.55 - Panocha
Op.64 - Caspar Da Solo
Op.71 - Griller
Op.74 - Griller
Op.76 - Carmina (honorary mentions to Panocha and Tatrai)
Op.77 - Tatrai

Could get into individual quartets, but that could take some time...!
Yes, we have no bananas

Uncle Connie

Further to the brief discussion that I instigated about the following:

[asin]B002GUJ0RG[/asin]

I discovered it's very easy to find out just what of the Haydn mass is omitted, if this matters to anyone.  Just click "purchase MP3" on Amazon (you don't of course have to actually buy anything) and you get a list of the tracks.  Armed with that and one of the complete versions, I have learned thus:

Minkowski gives us the Kyrie complete, the Gloria complete; then omits the first section of the Credo but does give us the Et incarnatus and (the spell-binder of the whole mass) the Et resurrexit.  He then omits the remainder, the Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus and Dona nobis.  So in the end we get about 40 minutes of what would have been, at his speeds, about 65 for the whole thing.  Or, to put it another way, we get 13 of what is usually 18 tracks.  No real choice I suppose but to chop something, as each of the 2 discs of the set adds up to about 75 min.  Even better, find some other work besides Handel and Purcell that actually had something to do with St. Cecilia - the Haydn is a mistaken attribution - and then give us Haydn complete, on a single disc by itself.

Grump grump. 

That said, because I've become quite the completist for this Mass, I think I'm going to go ahead and download the Haydn sections (I have no interest in Handel or Purcell), for a cost of about $13 but that's considerably cheaper than buying the set physically.  What little I can hear in the thirty-second snippets they offer sounds quite well done indeed.     

Gurn Blanston

Interesting, Conrad. Hope you share your reaction to hearing the entire (as it were).

On the subject of masses, a topic that came up during the essay series, which drew only blank stares from the assembled masses but which did and still does fascinate me, is the subject of other, heretofore believed to be secular, work being played during the mass, and how that all worked. That was a hell of a sentence, wasn't it? :D

Anyway, I have been doing some research ever since then and this weekend I will have a little bit to contribute to that. Not a lot, mind you, and I am hoping that someone else may have found something too. I am also trying to put together a reasonably accurate reconstruction that will enable any Haydnisto to be able to listen in a sequence such as it was then. Possibly both a Missa brevis and a Solemn Mass, which would of course differ substantially.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 27, 2012, 08:15:36 AM
Interesting, Conrad. Hope you share your reaction to hearing the entire (as it were).

On the subject of masses, a topic that came up during the essay series, which drew only blank stares from the assembled masses but which did and still does fascinate me, is the subject of other, heretofore believed to be secular, work being played during the mass, and how that all worked. That was a hell of a sentence, wasn't it? :D

Anyway, I have been doing some research ever since then and this weekend I will have a little bit to contribute to that. Not a lot, mind you, and I am hoping that someone else may have found something too. I am also trying to put together a reasonably accurate reconstruction that will enable any Haydnisto to be able to listen in a sequence such as it was then. Possibly both a Missa brevis and a Solemn Mass, which would of course differ substantially.

8)

Aren't Mozart's Church/Epistle sonatas an example of that type?  I notice that the Neumann set of Mozart masses puts the sonatas in the middle of various masses, and not separate performed.

Of course, it did strike me last night that to have a truly HIP performance of a Bach cantata, you'd need a Lutheran minister giving a sermon in the middle of the cantata.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 27, 2012, 09:06:41 AM
Aren't Mozart's Church/Epistle sonatas an example of that type?  I notice that the Neumann set of Mozart masses puts the sonatas in the middle of various masses, and not separate performed.

Of course, it did strike me last night that to have a truly HIP performance of a Bach cantata, you'd need a Lutheran minister giving a sermon in the middle of the cantata.

Yes, indeed they are. And they were the easy ones, since we know they go between the epistle and the gospel. :)  But in addition to these, also there were being used concertos and symphonies. These, at first blush, are a bit harder to insert. However, I have gathered a bit of info.

Wow, Neumann did that? That's wonderful. I had figured out which sonatas went with which masses quite some time ago and done that on my own. Haydn will be more challenging, but do-able, I think.

Boy, I'm glad it's you that likes Bach. :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)