Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Forgot to add you,can download them as FLACs, but the download size would be 10 times bigger!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 04, 2012, 03:18:30 PM
Forgot to add you,can download them as FLACs, but the download size would be 10 times bigger!

Unless you are playing them back on your home stereo, the MP3's are likely more than adequate. There are quite a few people here who speak very highly of that cycle. If it can be had as a bargain, one would not be mis-stepping to pick it up. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 04, 2012, 04:22:16 PM
Unless you are playing them back on your home stereo, the MP3's are likely more than adequate. There are quite a few people here who speak very highly of that cycle. If it can be had as a bargain, one would not be mis-stepping to pick it up. :)

8)

Yes, I think those are the favorite interpretations of Sonic, for instance; although Dave, who is a good-natured and tolerant person never does this kind of strong judgements, of course.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 04, 2012, 05:16:21 PM
Yes, I think those are the favorite interpretations of Sonic, for instance; although Dave, who is a good-natured and tolerant person never does this kind of strong judgements, of course.

Yes, Dave was the first to bring them up to me, although several since then agreed with him. I have that group playing the folksongs and am very pleased with their playing. Of course, with the trios, since I already collect period instrument versions I scarcely need yet another to add to the pile! But if one wants one nice, modern version, it would be hard to go wrong here, I think. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 04, 2012, 05:20:09 PM
Yes, Dave was the first to bring them up to me, although several since then agreed with him. I have that group playing the folksongs and am very pleased with their playing. Of course, with the trios, since I already collect period instrument versions I scarcely need yet another to add to the pile! But if one wants one nice, modern version, it would be hard to go wrong here, I think. :)

8)

Yes, I have those folksongs and I'm very satisfied with them. Unfortunately, the case wasn't the same when I purchased their Beethoven piano trios. I judged them a bit weak in character and I don't consider them a first choice, period instruments or not.   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 04, 2012, 05:26:23 PM
Yes, I have those folksongs and I'm very satisfied with them. Unfortunately, the case wasn't the same when I purchased their Beethoven piano trios. I judged them a bit weak in character and I don't consider them a first choice, period instruments or not.   

Pity about that. Well, Beethoven's trios are of a different character than Haydn's. I can see a group that excels in one not doing so well in the other. Plus the competition is so much more fierce! :)

8)

mc ukrneal

8)
One of the reasons they were so attractive too was that they could be had for $10-15 (I got mine for about $11). I don't have other versions, but I think it is quite good. They play with both seriousness and joy, lightness and weight. They play with good judgment. Most importantly, they seem to play with a unity of vision. That's my take anyway.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mszczuj

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 04, 2012, 11:18:56 PM
They play with both seriousness and joy, lightness and weight. They play with good judgment. Most importantly, they seem to play with a unity of vision.

I suppose the opotunity of studying folk songs arrangement is the great advantage in understanding of the style.

SonicMan46

Hi Guys - been away from the classical threads for a while (house & porch renovations, updating/cleaning/organizing my basement shop, AND trying to organize & cull down my non-classical collection, instead of tripping & knocking over the piles of these CDs on the floor that I've moved from my den to make more space for my classical stuff thanks to this forum!   ;D).

BUT, I do enjoy the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt, and now going for $18 on Amazon as MP3 downloads (buck a disc!) - however, my other set (just have the two boxes of these works) is w/ the Van Swieten Trio w/ Bart van Oort on fortepiano - also excellent - Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Yes, Dave was the first to bring them up to me, although several since then agreed with him.

Like me  8)

I love the Eisenstadts as much as I hate the Trio 1790 set. Although the sound of the Fortepiano is lovely, I cannot stand the ugly squeezing technique the violinist employs constantly. It's aural torture to me. It's one of the very few purchases I've ever made that I regret.

...although Dave, who is a good-natured and tolerant person never does this kind of strong judgements, of course.

Unlike me  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 04, 2012, 06:12:24 PM
Pity about that. Well, Beethoven's trios are of a different character than Haydn's. I can see a group that excels in one not doing so well in the other. Plus the competition is so much more fierce! :)

8)

Yes, it's obvious, but not every piece of music is spiritually suited for every performer. For instance, yesterday I was listening to a disc of Sviatoslav Richter, where he plays a Haydn sonata (namely, Keyboard Sonata No. 44 in F major, Hob.XVI:29) and I could swear that Richter had serious problems to understand Haydn's language, at least in that performance. And it's obvious that his problems are not technical at all.
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

-- Voltaire

Leon

Quote from: Arnold on August 16, 2012, 10:38:39 AM
[asin] B000U9WZA4[/asin]

A period instrument (PI) string quartet doing a nice selection of Haydn quartets from middle to late.  Definitely a valuable addition to the available recordings, and it looks as if they are embarking on a cycle since there is a "Vol. 2" out there as well.

:)

Thought I'd cross post this from the WAYLT thread.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on August 16, 2012, 11:11:48 AM
Thought I'd cross post this from the WAYLT thread.

It's an excellent disk, I agree. There is a second one also, but I don't have it yet. Actually, I find it refreshing to listen to the quartets played in other than the usual order. 1 each from 3 different opera is a pleasant hour's listening, especially when it's this quality of playing! :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 16, 2012, 12:22:01 PM
. . . Actually, I find it refreshing to listen to the quartets played in other than the usual order.

I can entirely see (and dig) that;  I've been (over a distended period, bien sûr) trying just to win some familiarity with the lot, so my listening has perforce been In a Chronological Groove.

But to-day, O Gurn, I damn the torpedoes, and I'll sling a few randomized quartets into a queue
: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on August 17, 2012, 04:02:23 AM
I can entirely see (and dig) that;  I've been (over a distended period, bien sûr) trying just to win some familiarity with the lot, so my listening has perforce been In a Chronological Groove.

But to-day, O Gurn, I damn the torpedoes, and I'll sling a few randomized quartets into a queue
: )

I thought you had that Amsterdam disk anyway, Karl. You might give it a spin and enjoy.  :)

Snipper would be mortified to know that we listened to a string quartet outside of its chronology!   :o   :)

8)

Leon

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 16, 2012, 12:22:01 PM
It's an excellent disk, I agree. There is a second one also, but I don't have it yet. Actually, I find it refreshing to listen to the quartets played in other than the usual order. 1 each from 3 different opera is a pleasant hour's listening, especially when it's this quality of playing! :)

8)

Oh, for sure, I prefer a mixed program from various periods to the chronological approach.  I am an old-fashioned kind of guy who likes to think of a recording as what one might hear at a live concert - only captured on disc.  If I went bent that way, I'd create playlists from my box sets that would mirror that idea.  I may just do it anyway.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on August 17, 2012, 04:38:01 AM
Oh, for sure, I prefer a mixed program from various periods to the chronological approach.  I am an old-fashioned kind of guy who likes to think of a recording as what one might hear at a live concert - only captured on disc.  If I went bent that way, I'd create playlists from my box sets that would mirror that idea.  I may just do it anyway.

I recommend it; I've been doing it for years! Which is to say, trying to recreate the agenda of a concert programme. THat's the beauty of having digital files on your computer; it's a snap to do that sort of thing. :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on August 17, 2012, 04:02:23 AM

But to-day, O Gurn, I damn the torpedoes, and I'll sling a few randomized quartets into a queue[/font] : )

How did John Cage get in here? 

Thread duty:  found in the used CD bin at FYE the Dorati recording of The Creation (with Salve Regina).   I'm looking forward to it, considering that of the three recordings I already own, only one (Bernstein) is MI.  (Jacobs and McCreesh are the other two.)