Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2012, 04:45:28 PM
This landed today:

Should be good.

It's Harnoncourt....he can make the McDonald's jingle sound good.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2012, 04:48:30 PM
Yup, that it should! It is the happy combination of great music and great performance. Can't beat that at a bargain price!   :)

8)

Yeah, I plan on listening to it next week sometime. I've got several new arrivals that are on the listening pile that need to be heard first. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on October 18, 2012, 06:40:44 PM
It's Harnoncourt....he can make the McDonald's jingle sound good.

:P

Opus106

Released and yet-to-be-released, depending upon the location. Lovely scene on the cover, no?
[asin]B007RL7094[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 18, 2012, 05:47:25 PM
Hmmm. 
The box I have is a 4 CD set. 
Your CD of the three symphonies is CD 1.
CD 2 contains 105 and the Mass in temp.bel.
CDs 3 and 4 are devoted to Lenny's recording of Die Schopfung. 

Which leads to the question--when and with what was his recording of 105 issued?  Recording date is a month before the Mass.

I just checked an old Penguin guide from the eighties. 88 and 92 were originally released together on one CD. I assume 94 and 105 were on another. When they re-released 88 and 92 on a midprice CD, the one I bought, they included 94 but had no room for 105 and it disappeared for many years. They rectified that omission with the box set.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on October 19, 2012, 11:19:28 AM
Released and yet-to-be-released, depending upon the location. Lovely scene on the cover, no?
[asin]B007RL7094[/asin]

Aha! Que gave us a heads up on it a few months ago, but no release date was given. October 30 just isn't that far off!  Thanks for that.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Dear Haydnistos,

I purchased the Dorati set of symphonies and it arrived yesterday, but without any booklet at all.

33 CDs and no booklet.

I bought this box:

I'm pretty sure this box set includes the famous notes by H.C. Robbins Landon, but I'd like to confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

mszczuj

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 20, 2012, 04:44:29 AM
Dear Haydnistos,

I purchased the Dorati set of symphonies and it arrived yesterday, but without any booklet at all.

33 CDs and no booklet.

I bought this box:

I'm pretty sure this box set includes the famous notes by H.C. Robbins Landon, but I'd like to confirm this.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know if they are famous but the notes are present in my box. About 3 pages for each 4 CDs.

Wakefield

Quote from: mszczuj on October 20, 2012, 04:58:39 AM
Don't know if they are famous but the notes are present in my box. About 3 pages for each 4 CDs.

Do you have exactly this box or the posterior reissue?
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

mszczuj

448 531-2 from 1996. There is information "booklet enclosed" on the box.

Wakefield

Quote from: mszczuj on October 20, 2012, 05:53:40 AM
448 531-2 from 1996. There is information "booklet enclosed" on the box.

Thanks for this info.

Though my box set arrived without booklet, I have decided to keep it. Anyway, I found this digital version of the book The Symphonies Of Joseph Haydn (1955) by H.C. Robbins Landon:

http://archive.org/details/TheSymphoniesOfJosephHaydn

8)
-- Voltaire

The new erato

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 20, 2012, 05:15:54 AM
... posterior reissue?
I'm scared to ask what this means. Nasty pictures cropping up.

Wakefield

Quote from: The new erato on October 22, 2012, 04:31:45 AM
I'm scared to ask what this means. Nasty pictures cropping up.

;D

Posterior =coming after in time or order; later: a date posterior to the first Reform Bill.

More exactly this box set:

[asin]B001LMSOGI[/asin]

-- Voltaire

The new erato

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on October 22, 2012, 06:39:34 AM
;D

Posterior =coming after in time or order; later: a date posterior to the first Reform Bill.

More exactly this box set:

[asin]B001LMSOGI[/asin]
I actually have it. In front of me!

Opus106

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2012, 07:10:17 AM
I am seriously considering this ~

[Buchbinder's Haydn]

I just wish I could find it for less $$$

;)

Well, this must be your luck day, as Presto began its annual boxed sets discount today. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2012, 08:18:15 AM
Now listening to this interesting recording of Haydn keyboard sonatas ~ Byron Schenkman plays Haydn on the haprsichord

Keyboard Sonata No. 12 in A major, Hob.XVI:12
Keyboard Sonata No. 19 in E minor, Hob.XVI:47bis
Keyboard Sonata (Partita) No. 16 in D major, Hob.XVI:14
Keyboard Sonata (Divertimento) No. 5 in G major, Hob.XVI:11
Keyboard Sonata No. 29 in E flat major, Hob.XVI:45

That's a nice one. I like his almost legato style on the harpsichord. Nice sounding instrument too. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2012, 09:54:48 AM
Continuing today's theme of Haydn on period instruments, I am now sampling this disc,

Richard Lester ~ Haydn, Six Keyboard Works played on Historic Fortepianos

Where do you sample those, Tonio? Do you stream stuff? Or are you dipping into your stash after all?

I like this disk a lot. His fortepianos are interestingly different from each other.  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on October 22, 2012, 10:47:01 AM
When I am at work I stream but my home library has much of what I listen to.  I don't happen to own the Lester disc, however.

Ah. I don't get to stream anywhere; work won't let me and my home satellite doesn't care anything for streaming. FOr me it's pretty much buy it or lose it. :)

What did you think of Lester?

8)

Karl Henning

Gurn, am I mistaken in thinking that ol' "Papa" is having a bit of fun with the horn in the 51st Symphony?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2012, 11:57:56 AM
Gurn, am I mistaken in thinking that ol' "Papa" is having a bit of fun with the horn in the 51st Symphony?

You never make mistakes, Karl; you been to the big school!

A nice summary of the kernel of that, this from Wiki;

Symphony #51 in Bb
Sometimes described as "a concertante piece featuring the two horns, which are given parts of staggering difficulty." The third movement contains high notes for the first horn (including an f''' which is considered the highest note ever written for the horn) and the second, slow movement, contains very low notes for the second horn.

Haydn is actually considered as one of the top all-time writers for the horn, a situation which was abetted by the fact that for a period in the 1760's, he had probably the 4 greatest horn players in Europe in his band all at the same time. And even when he only had 2 horns, they were the best. So he made them work for it.  If you love horns, you gotta love Haydn. :)

8)