Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on November 13, 2012, 05:01:29 AM
Speaking of, I found this CD on MOG but was not sure if it was period style or not - anyone know?

[asin]B004JU138K[/asin]

They are not a PI orchestra, but that doesn't speak to their style of play which may be HIPper than hell. I only can find bits and pieces about them, they have been around for a long time though. Since one of their big disks is Fauré's 'Requiem', I figure they aren't Baroque.  :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jlaurson

Quote from: Bogey on November 12, 2012, 06:16:54 PM

Have you done a page on the Nelson.....just can't find it. I, like other novices, are intrigued with the name and due to just that I seek it out more.  Totally irrational I know (wasn't even written for him, correct?), but there you have it.

from
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/10/ionarts-at-large-brso-season-opening.html
QuoteHaydn's Nelson Mass was inaccurately nicknamed that for its alleged, audible connection with the Admiral's victory over the Napoleonic Fleet in the 1798 Battle of Aboukir Bay... (news of the victory didn't reach Vienna until well after its composition). But the mass earned itself that nickname anyway, when it was performed in front of the war hero at Palais Esterházy in Vienna, two years later. The allegedly audible war-connection stemmed then from the dark, trumpet and timpani dominated orchestral sound that was the result of a rather more domestic cause: Haydn's employer had dismissed the woodwinds from the orchestra, so Haydn had none to play with and made the most of brass and percussion instead. Woodwinds were later added to the score again, and it was this edition, even if it undermines the masses' original character, that was performed here.

Karl Henning

All could yet play out well . . . but one of the three Orpheus Ch Orch CDs I ordered was somehow returned to the sender . . . who has now re-sent to me. The two which arrived safe and sound are lovely, no denying it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on November 14, 2012, 06:52:40 AM
All could yet play out well . . . but one of the three Orpheus Ch Orch CDs I ordered was somehow returned to the sender . . . who has now re-sent to me. The two which arrived safe and sound are lovely, no denying it.

Orpheus .C.O. was some of my first purchases of Haydn symphonies. All very good, all worth the price of admission.

Mirror Image

What are everybody's favorite performances of The Creation? I bought this one tonight:

Has anyone here heard this one? If yes, what do you think of it?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2012, 04:42:55 PM
What are everybody's favorite performances of The Creation? I bought this one tonight:

I expect you will like that one a lot, John. Look at the soloists! Some of the all-time best.

For myself, I like Macreesh in English:

and Jacobs in German;

But you know me by now, I prefer period instruments without speculating that they are any better for someone else. If I didn't, the Karajan would certainly be up there on my list!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

A couple of new keyboard disks arrived today. One I have been wanting to get for a long time, strongly recommended by many, and the other a serendipitous acquisition that I happened across.

That would be this one;

by Shirley Mathews on Gasparo, 5 sonatas from the 1770's, which she rightly points out is the tail end of the supremacy of the cembalo. Within a matter of a few short years, the ascendancy of the fortepiano would be nearly complete. Matthews calls his works of this period the supreme expression of the possibilities of the cembalo, they use every resource without making the player wish he had more at hand (that is; that he had a fortepiano instead).  I'm looking forward to listening to this one, Mathews and Haydn certainly seem simpatico. :)

And then, this one at long last;

possibly the last major Haydn period keyboard disk that I didn't have. Cooper impresses me in many ways, both as a player in Mozart with Podger, and as a feeling conductor of the Arion Ensemble in Haydn's Stürm und Dräng symphonies. So this is a disk to look forward to, as it contains the major late works, like the sonatas Hob 48 & 49, the Piccolo Divertimento, and the finest sonata before Beethoven, Hob 52. Some nice evening lie ahead with these!

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2012, 04:42:55 PM

The two I've enjoyed the most in recent years are...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 21, 2012, 05:22:24 PM

Yes, I really like that Spering too. Haven't heard the Bernstein, but I seem to recall some folks mentioning it here before as a nice performance.  :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 21, 2012, 05:25:19 PM
Yes, I really like that Spering too. Haven't heard the Bernstein, but I seem to recall some folks mentioning it here before as a nice performance.  :)

8)

The Bernstein is good, a larger-sounding performance. And his final "Amen" at the end will send chills down your spine. It's coupled with Harmoniemesse, can't go wrong with either piece.
Although overall I would recommend Spering's Creation.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on November 21, 2012, 05:47:33 PM
I've heard the Gary Cooper disc and it was definitely my cup of tea, and wish he'd record more.  The Shirley Mathews looks very interesting.  I will have to look for that one.

Good 'uns!

:)

San,
I got them both at BRO if that helps. I haven't seen the Mathews elsewhere. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Got through most of this marionette opera earlier today, some very nice stuff, gorgeous singing, although much of the music is missing it didn't seem to be obvious by any means. Perhaps the story is a bit broken, but I don't speak much German and don't have the libretto so I'm unsure about that.

Any owners of this disc? I have the Huss recording of symphonies 12, 50 and 60 and always keep it close by, great sound and performance.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 21, 2012, 06:00:12 PM

Got through most of this marionette opera earlier today, some very nice stuff, gorgeous singing, although much of the music is missing it didn't seem to be obvious by any means. Perhaps the story is a bit broken, but I don't speak much German and don't have the libretto so I'm unsure about that.

Any owners of this disc? I have the Huss recording of symphonies 12, 50 and 60 and always keep it close by, great sound and performance.

Oh sure. Agree with all you wrote about it. I've found that if you don't have the libretto and you don't speak the language, most operas (especially Haydn's) are great entertainment. The fact that the remains don't always make good dramatic sense then becomes meaningless.  :)

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 21, 2012, 04:51:15 PM
I expect you will like that one a lot, John. Look at the soloists! Some of the all-time best.

For myself, I like Macreesh in English:

and Jacobs in German;

But you know me by now, I prefer period instruments without speculating that they are any better for someone else. If I didn't, the Karajan would certainly be up there on my list!  :)

8)

Thanks for the recommendations, but I prefer modern instruments to period instruments. There are many period instrument recordings that I do enjoy, but from a personal point-of-view I don't really see these HIP performances as preserving the past, I look at the whole movement as a way of trying to recreate the past, which looks good on paper and is an honorable pursuit, but many times I have found that HIP performances fall flat on my ears. Of course, there are always exceptions. I'm just giving you my general opinion about the subject.

Anyway, getting back to Haydn, he's my favorite Classical Era composer by far. I don't think I've ever heard one not from him that uninspired or mere note-spinning. The guy was incredible.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 21, 2012, 05:22:24 PM

I'll check these out, Greg. Thanks! I've passed by both of these recordings numerous times. The Bernstein looks especially enticing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2012, 07:43:38 PM
I'll check these out, Greg. Thanks! I've passed by both of these recordings numerous times. The Bernstein looks especially enticing.

That performance led by Lenny is included in this economy pack:

[asin]B001TKK39S[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2012, 07:41:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, but I prefer modern instruments to period instruments. There are many period instrument recordings that I do enjoy, but from a personal point-of-view I don't really see these HIP performances as preserving the past, I look at the whole movement as a way of trying to recreate the past, which looks good on paper and is an honorable pursuit, but many times I have found that HIP performances fall flat on my ears. Of course, there are always exceptions. I'm just giving you my general opinion about the subject.

Anyway, getting back to Haydn, he's my favorite Classical Era composer by far. I don't think I've ever heard one not from him that uninspired or mere note-spinning. The guy was incredible.

I wasn't making a philosophical statement, amigo, I'm saying that I like these the best. I don't care at all about philosophy, not my thing. I care about what things sound like to me. :)  Which is why I agreed that you might like that Karajan, since it suits your taste. I don't think I would like it, although I don't go off at length telling you that, you know?   :)

8)

PS - Be careful of that Spering, it's HIPper than hell! :o  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 22, 2012, 04:26:50 AM

[asin]B001TKK39S[/asin]

That box has really done you well, eh, Karl? Not surprised that his 'Creation' is fine; seems like he does a better than most job on the more spiritual stuff in general. :)

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on November 22, 2012, 04:26:50 AM

[asin]B001TKK39S[/asin]

I'll have to pick this set up at some point. Thanks, Karl.

kishnevi

John, I'd urge you to at least consider the McCreesh recording.  It's outstanding music making, and PI/non PI considerations don't enter into that.  Of course, it may help that with this work,  relatively large performing forces represent an "authentic period performance".   I've got Lenny's other recording, on DG, and McCreesh beats the pants off that one by a wide margin.