Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 09, 2013, 07:41:12 AM
Hi Gurn - just have three recordings of WF Bach's music - all harpsichord (except as noted) solo or concerto works; but concerning the Rampe disc, several excellent reviews (one by Dubins) reprinted HERE - Dave :)

I see the other review there is Hurwitzian in the sense of being totally unable to get his mind around something whose sound doesn't fit his preconceptions. You're right though, Dubins seems to be properly open minded. I am very fond of the instrument. Better stop now or Que will excise us to a HIP thread... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

This is great; I have still only dipped (I've been on a compositional tear, and "Papa" would want it that way), but even the dips have sparkled.

How many folks have made their way completely through the Beghin box?  Just trying to get an idea of how far behind the class I am . . . .

Well, I have listened to two of the discs lately, one each these past two nights.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 19, 2013, 05:05:13 AM
This is great; I have still only dipped (I've been on a compositional tear, and "Papa" would want it that way), but even the dips have sparkled.

How many folks have made their way completely through the Beghin box?  Just trying to get an idea of how far behind the class I am . . . .

Well, I have listened to two of the discs lately, one each these past two nights.

Well, I must confess, I have listened to the entire at least 4 or 5 times. The sound of the instruments fascinates me. :)  Also I like to try and pick up on the ornaments and the idiom used on the clavichords. Great little box, I must say. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 19, 2013, 06:07:50 AM
Well, I must confess, I have listened to the entire at least 4 or 5 times. The sound of the instruments fascinates me. :)  Also I like to try and pick up on the ornaments and the idiom used on the clavichords. Great little box, I must say. :)

Well, I've gone through the complete box just once - maybe time to start a second visit?  :)

Karl Henning

Oh, it is very good indeed. I've not been systematic, either . . . but I've watched the DVD, and must have listened to five of the CDs.  Truly a treasure!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: karlhenning on March 19, 2013, 05:05:13 AM
How many folks have made their way completely through the Beghin box?

I've yet to begin the Beghin.  (I don't have this set, but couldn't resist the Cole Porter pun.)

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

I've given the Beghin box a complete runthrough.

And now, a question which Gurn is probably the best placed to answer.

I played the first CD of the Holzapfel/dolce risonanza organ concertos recording.  (Thank you for suggesting it.)  Now,  the booklet mentions (in giving illustration credits) three engravings/prints of c. 1790 Vienna, but the booklet actually contains only one such illustration, the cover illustration.  Do you happen to know which of the three is actually used.  (I suppose you don't know what happened to the other two, but if you do,  I'd be curious about the explanation.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 19, 2013, 06:22:22 PM
I've given the Beghin box a complete runthrough.

And now, a question which Gurn is probably the best placed to answer.

I played the first CD of the Holzapfel/dolce risonanza organ concertos recording.  (Thank you for suggesting it.)  Now,  the booklet mentions (in giving illustration credits) three engravings/prints of c. 1790 Vienna, but the booklet actually contains only one such illustration, the cover illustration.  Do you happen to know which of the three is actually used.  (I suppose you don't know what happened to the other two, but if you do,  I'd be curious about the explanation.)

You're welcome, glad you like it!

Now, there's a good question. They do indeed credit Artaria for 3 engravings, and there is only the one. Of the three, I think the one used is the second one listed, the Cloister and Church of the Brothers of Mercy in the Leopoldstadt. That is where Haydn worked in 1755-57. But why they credit three and list one is one of those mysteries that may go unsolved... :-\

8)

Karl Henning

Each of the last two CDs of the Beghin set has the Eb sonata (Hob.XVI/52) . . . but the CD jacket gives a different date for each. Is that a Haydn catalogue thing, or an editorial lapse? : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 20, 2013, 06:53:59 AM
Each of the last two CDs of the Beghin set has the Eb sonata (Hob.XVI/52) . . . but the CD jacket gives a different date for each. Is that a Haydn catalogue thing, or an editorial lapse? : )

The sonata was written in England for Teresa Jansen, and he gave it to her. She didn't publish it for several years. Beghin thus plays it on an English piano, a Broadwood clone, IIRC. Then, 2 or 3 years after returning to Vienna, Haydn (probably sub rosa) sold it to a German publisher (probably Breitkopf & Härtel). So it is also played on a Viennese action piano, which is noticeably different in sound, eh? So both, quite different sounding, versions are authentic.  :)

8)

Karl Henning

But the piece itself is unchanged, as it were?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 20, 2013, 07:25:21 AM
But the piece itself is unchanged, as it were?

Yes, it should be just the same (even though IIRC he rewrote it from memory, having given the autograph over to Jansen). :)

8)

kishnevi

Perhaps memory is confused here, and I don't have time tonight to actually play the pertinent portion of the DVD--but  wasn't the performance of one movement of that sonata on the DVD actually filmed at the Holywell concert room, with a small audience?  And is therefore not actually the same performance as found on the audio CD?

Octave

Hey Gurn, I only just now noticed your Haydn 'blog' sticky at the top of the Composer Discussion subforum; thanks for organizing your Haydn essays and indices this way....useful to see them all together in one place.  Here's hoping some day you get the courage to take the blog "public", though I guess GMG is already public, innit?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 20, 2013, 07:36:27 PM
Perhaps memory is confused here, and I don't have time tonight to actually play the pertinent portion of the DVD--but  wasn't the performance of one movement of that sonata on the DVD actually filmed at the Holywell concert room, with a small audience?  And is therefore not actually the same performance as found on the audio CD?

It has been too long since I watched it to remember the specifics there, but at most can be said that it isn't the same as either one of the versions recorded on the 2 CD's. Although it is probably played on the same piano as the one on the English CD. I listened to that programme last night, BTW, and enjoyed it as much as ever!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Octave on March 20, 2013, 09:14:30 PM
Hey Gurn, I only just now noticed your Haydn 'blog' sticky at the top of the Composer Discussion subforum; thanks for organizing your Haydn essays and indices this way....useful to see them all together in one place.  Here's hoping some day you get the courage to take the blog "public", though I guess GMG is already public, innit?

Thanks for having prodded me into doing that, actually. :)  I don't know, actually, where I'm going to go yet; I bought a web address last year, but haven't quite figured what to do with fjhaydn.com yet!  :)

8)

Karl Henning

I suppose that one reason I am taking my time making way through the Beghin set, has been a near-subconscious wish to "live" with each instrument a bit, let its sound settle. Fabulous box.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Very excited at this word from amazon.it viz. the Hogwood symphonies box:

QuoteLa data di consegna prevista è mercoledì, 03 aprile 2013
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2013, 03:41:34 AM
Very excited at this word from amazon.it viz. the Hogwood symphonies box:

Yes indeed! Wonder how long the shipping is? Usually for me, Germany is, like, a week more than England. Never ordered from Italy though. :)

8)